What type OLM on Honda 3.5 I-vtec?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleDave

$100 Site Donor 2024
Picked up a 17 Ridgeline and can't find any info on the type of OLM it uses.

I did google searches for it (bitog OLM honda etc) and look around here for this but can't find anything.

Is this a software "penalty" based system like GM, or a sensor based system of some sort.

There was an excellent article posted here on the different types that was hugely informative and I thought that might list out what this has - , but I can't find it either.

looking to avoid a GM scenario where tell you to obey it then come back after the fact and recalibrate it downward. If its sensor based I think it will be more accurate.

Thanks

I am not 100% sure but I believe it's not a sensor based system. I think Honda calculates the OCI based on how/under what conditions the vehicle is driven. That's how it works on our CR-V. I change it every 5k but the OLM doesn't tell us to change until 10-12,000 miles. I think Honda became more conservative with their programming in later years.

Last edited:
Honda's IOLM system, like almost all others, is algortithm-based using a number of driving style factors to infer an oil condition. Afaik, sensor-based systems, which actually touch the oil itself, are found only on a few high-end German marques.

Originally Posted By: Danh
Afaik, sensor-based systems, which actually touch the oil itself, are found only on a few high-end German marques.

That's my understanding as well. BMW uses dielectric sensors, and I think MB used them, too - not sure if they still do.

Originally Posted By: fenixguy
I change it every 5k but the OLM doesn't tell us to change until 10-12,000 miles.

Same here.

Many simply on fuel flow per miles driven. This will modifiy by short trips/cold starts, stop & go city traffic, highway cruising, long drives etc., to give you a 5000 to 10,000 miles OCI by the monitor.

Our CR-V was mostly rural highway and went 10,000 miles easy on the monitor.

Last edited:
Thanks guys-

I suspected a software penalty based system, probably a step above guessing, but no real brains. (opinion subject to change if I can find the algorythm)

I was hoping for either some optical based or conductivity based system, but oh well.....

5K sounds too short for commuting duty, but about right for light towing.

UD

Originally Posted By: ammolab
Many simply on fuel flow per miles driven. This will modifiy by short trips/cold starts, stop & go city traffic, highway cruising, long drives etc., to give you a 5000 to 10,000 miles OCI by the monitor.

That or a similar version of it is - pretty much what I mean by penalty based system.

UD

Last edited:
Honda's IOLM system, like almost all others, is algortithm-based using a number of driving style factors to infer an oil condition. Afaik, sensor-based systems, which actually touch the oil itself, are found only on a few high-end German marques.

Yup. This. And I don't trust it worth a [censored]. LOL

The algorithm does seem to be much more aggressive against short tripping, hopefully that helps.

Just FYI, none of the techs here at work with Hondas follow the OLM. That should be an indication. Most will change just the oil at 50% and not reset the light. Then just do whatever it calls for when it actually shows due for an oil change. But this is here in Ottawa, Canada. About as hard on oil as you can get.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Afaik, sensor-based systems, which actually touch the oil itself, are found only on a few high-end German marques.

That's my understanding as well. BMW uses dielectric sensors, and I think MB used them, too - not sure if they still do.

I know BMW still does.

I think Honda has already done their downward recalibration. My 2010 Pilot wanted me to go about 10,000 miles when I first got it new. After letting it go that long once and seeing what came out into the drain pan, I started changing at the 50% indicator without resetting the OLM. That was usually good for 4500 miles or so. However, since taking it to the dealer (not for an oil change), its been getting to 50% sooner. I've decided to let it go to 15% this time. I'm now at about 5700 miles and its still showing 40%. I think it will drop to 30% by the time it gets to 6K and will be about 7500 when the light comes on at 15%. I can live with that, and may even break down and send a sample out for analysis after I change it. No noticeable oil use at 94K

Originally Posted By: UncleDave
Thanks guys-

I suspected a software penalty based system, probably a step above guessing, but no real brains. (opinion subject to change if I can find the algorythm)

I was hoping for either some optical based or conductivity based system, but oh well.....

UD

Go for the happy medium @7500 Miles and maybe then do some UOA to see how it looks?

How do you like the RL? What trim did you go with? I’m eying it (well a ‘19 or so) as a replacement for the CRV once it hits 350K

Originally Posted By: Balrog006
Thanks guys-

UD

Go for the happy medium @7500 Miles and maybe then do some UOA to see how it looks?

How do you like the RL? What trim did you go with? I’m eying it (well a ‘19 or so) as a replacement for the CRV once it hits 350K

Pretty much what I was thinking.

I went the RTL-E. I would have bought the black edition - If I could have had it in white.

So far Im pretty impressed. Ive got under 1K on it but just took a high speed (80) trip for 800 miles and the thing is golden.

Its rides better and is quieter than my Rx400H and gets about the same mileage.

The lane keeping assist really makes highway travel effortless and its just enough to let me multitask, but not so automated you arent driving.

Im a 2 truck household and need more than a truck and an SUV I need a "little truck" and "big truck" and this fits the "little truck" needs perfectly.

Ive got some quibble with the door fitments, and the lack of a volume knob.

UD

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech

Yup. This. And I don't trust it worth a [censored]. LOL

The algorithm does seem to be much more aggressive against short tripping, hopefully that helps.

Just FYI, none of the techs here at work with Hondas follow the OLM. That should be an indication. Most will change just the oil at 50% and not reset the light. Then just do whatever it calls for when it actually shows due for an oil change. But this is here in Ottawa, Canada. About as hard on oil as you can get.

Cripes, my 2015 DI CRV dilutes oil like crazy with the sump level rising noticeably in suburban driving in anything resembling cool weather. The IOLM's response: "Huh?". If my example is typical I can't believe this isn't a ticking time bomb for Honda and Honda DI owners. But as I've found, Honda sure doesn't seem to care.

Yeah the DI stuff all seems to have dilution tendencies. I run stuff red hot towing in the desert (Davis Dam route - J2807< I think>).

Ive towed Eisenhower and although its tall you get nice cool air, Davis isnt as tall - but has 120+ air temps at times.

The Ridgeline will be towing about a 4K boat trailer , and the titan about 7500 as a towing pair.

Little truck- Little boat
Bigger truck- Bigger boat

UD

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Balrog006
Thanks guys-

UD

Pretty much what I was thinking.

I went the RTL-E. I would have bought the black edition - If I could have had it in white.

So far Im pretty impressed. Ive got under 1K on it but just took a high speed (80) trip for 800 miles and the thing is golden.

Its rides better and is quieter than my Rx400H and gets about the same mileage.

The lane keeping assist really makes highway travel effortless and its just enough to let me multitask, but not so automated you arent driving.

Im a 2 truck household and need more than a truck and an SUV I need a "little truck" and "big truck" and this fits the "little truck" needs perfectly.

Ive got some quibble with the door fitments, and the lack of a volume knob.

UD

The RTL-E trim is where I’m looking too, no interest in the Black edition. I could use a truck at times but like the better mileage and smaller size it offers, I wouldn’t use a full size pickup to its capacity and would hate to pay the mileage and $60K price tag.

Thanks for the reply, enjoy the RL!

[/quote]

The RTL-E trim is where I’m looking too, no interest in the Black edition. I could use a truck at times but like the better mileage and smaller size it offers, I wouldn’t use a full size pickup to its capacity and would hate to pay the mileage and $60K price tag.

Thanks for the reply, enjoy the RL![/quote]

Yep right tool right job...

Not much diff between them at this level - I see no need for a side step on a rig this size and Im only 5"8

I haven't yet fully figured out the entertainment stack yet and Im LOVING a real HD radio receiver.

UD

UD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back