Rolling toolbox/cabinet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you guys recommend a good decently priced tool box/cabinet? I just started a new job last week as a maintenance tech at a plant and the company will provide just about any tool I need or want for the job as long as it fits under a $1250.00 yearly budget. I will have to payback the cost of the tools of course over time.

They don't however, provide a rolling tool cabinet. I have to find this myself and it needs to be the rolling type so I can haul it around the plant as needed. I have a beginner/starting budget of about 500 bucks for this and ive been trolling through the used market locally and the cheapest I can find is upwards of 1500 bucks.....nope. I know snap on and matco are great brands but they blow my budget astronomically new and used so what brands will hold up well starting out within my budget range?

Originally Posted By: LotI
How big? I have this Harbor Freight box and the top box and it’s great for the money. Coupons are out there for $349...check Here

Probably a bit too big to be hauling around much, plus some negative reviews talk about de laminating wheels.

Something smaller

Thanks boss I hadn't even considered harbor freight lol im looking them up as we speak. im looking for somewhere in the 50 to 56 inch height range

HF is what the 3 techs at my place are using.
They hold up pretty well.

read the reviews, and unpack and check the box, drawers, wheels/casters before leaving the store......
probably (my non-tech opinion), i would grease all drawers and locking mechanism (common complaint).
and use pledge on the outside for easy to clean.

allocate a small drawer to medical supplies (in case the closest plant med-aid box just run-out of bandaids, etc)

off-topic:
No matter what crazy thing they ask you to do, or how much stress/heat they put on you, Safety first! YOU are responsible for getting back home in one piece all-day,every-day

Originally Posted By: pandus13
HF is what the 3 techs at my place are using.
They hold up pretty well.

read the reviews, and unpack and check the box, drawers, wheels/casters before leaving the store......
probably (my non-tech opinion), i would grease all drawers and locking mechanism (common complaint).
and use pledge on the outside for easy to clean.

allocate a small drawer to medical supplies (in case the closest plant med-aid box just run-out of bandaids, etc)

off-topic:
No matter what crazy thing they ask you to do, or how much stress/heat they put on you, Safety first! YOU are responsible for getting back home in one piece all-day,every-day

Your advice is well taken my friend and I appreciate it

Think about how hard the kind of use the box will get. Sitting in one spot is less abusive than if you have it in a service truck.

I find 2 boxes works well. A larger one that stays in 1 place.
A mid-size that holds your everyday tools that rolls easily to the work.

That large "bottom roller" has dominated the aerospace industry.... seems like every new mechanic buys that one.
a few years back, you could find coupons for $299!!

Open the drawers and stand in the drawer and see how it goes. Your tool chest will be heavy full of tools.

Given your moving it around, how big and heavy do you want it?
It's gauge of the metal, number of ball bearings in the slide. Larger drawers (height) should have 2 slides, not 1.

I didn't realize they were making standard duty in black. Black was always the pro box and red the homeowner grade. Shows how long its been since I bought Craftsman,

Sorry for the long delay guys, literally 2 days after i posted this topic i was surprised with an early christmas present from my wife with a husky rolling box from home depot. Supports 100lbs in each drawer and are all ball bearing. Its a nice tool box and after 1800 bucks worth of tools bought, still isnt half full lol thank you guys for the quick responses and advice and again im sorry for the long delay.

Merry christmas!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back