Running 0w-30 vs 5w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2000 Toyota Avalon with 140k miles that calls for 5w-30 oil and am considering running ow-30 at the next oil change in hopes of a slight mpg increase. Is there any advantages or disadvantages to switching? I have been reading a few of these oil threads and the knowledge you guys have of oil is impressive.

Of the two, I'd take the 0W-XX anytime. Better chemistry and better anti-shear stability
smile.gif

Thats an older car. I'd use a "High Mileage" oil, 5w30 full synthetic in it. Any brand at walmart really. There isn't much difference in flow between a 5w30 and the Mobil1 AFE 0w30 oil.
High Mileage oils keep the seals flexible better so they are less likely to leak.

Which 0w30 were you considering? I'd go for it if I could find one at Walmart for the same price as 5w30. Otherwise, I'd stick to the 5w30.

You should be able to run the 0w-30 but don’t expect any fuel economy gains. If there are any gains they would be too small to measure. Driving style, proper tire inflation and a well maintained engine will do far more for fuel economy.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
You should be able to run the 0w-30 but don’t expect any fuel economy gains. If there are any gains they would be too small to measure. Driving style, proper tire inflation and a well maintained engine will do far more for fuel economy.

+1

Generally a 0W-30 will be a higher quality base oil for a given specification over 5W-30, as it must meet tougher cold temperature tests. This is part of the reason why they cost more.

Last edited:
I'm running it and it's fine. MPG will vary with every car. Cold starts are very smooth and the oil level hasn't moved in my oil burner.

Originally Posted By: Kenwood
I have a 2000 Toyota Avalon with 140k miles that calls for 5w-30 oil and am considering running ow-30 at the next oil change in hopes of a slight mpg increase. Is there any advantages or disadvantages to switching? I have been reading a few of these oil threads and the knowledge you guys have of oil is impressive.

Hi Kenwood, unless you're doing a lot of really short tripping with long cooldowns between trips you might see a little gas mileage benefit from using an XW30 that has a low viscosity for its grade at operating temperature (~100C for many gas vehicles).
There has been a lot of discussion here about recent changes in many oil formulations to meet dexos1 Gen 2 specs (GM standard for which most mass market oils are going to want to have a license) and we noticed that the last Pennzoil Platinum 5W30 has a lower viscosity at 100C (9.8 cSt) than, say, Mobil 1 5W30 (11 cSt). I would think that PP is still going to do a good job of protecting your engine and the 5W30 might result in better fuel economy than many of its competitors if you are making reasonably long trips where the engine is mostly warmed up.
Not a Pennzoil fanboy here, I have never used it in my vehicle but did just put some PP 0W20 in my daughter's Impreza.
If you end up doing a lot of really cold starts (like way below zero) where the engine has truly gotten down to the ambient temperature, I could see the 0W30 having some effect upon mileage compared to a 5W30 with a similar operating temp viscosity. But, I honestly doubt many people would see a gas mileage benefit from using a typical 0W30 vs. a 5W30 even in winter.
Just my two cents worth and welcome to BITOG!

I am currently running Mobil 1 HM 5w30 and just changed it a couple weeks ago. I didn't figure there would be much of a mpg increase but any little bit would be good. I won't likely change the oil again until late spring comes around and I thought 5w30 may be better in the warm months of the year and 0w30 for the winter months. I only drive about 6k miles a year in this car so I will likely change the oil every 6 months or so. Thank you everyone for your responses.

0W-30 is good year round. I have been Using 0W-30 in my 1993 Civic since it had 118,000 miles,

Now with 488,000 miles on the clock I can highly recommend this oil.

OWXX oils pump faster when cold then 5WXX oils. That's only a good thing. in your case where a 30weight oil is spec'd. at 100C they'll have the same viscosity (within reason.)

I've made the switch to 0W30 in my turbo Saab 9-5. Very smooth on start-up (though I had no issues on 5W30 either.)

Regards
Jordan

Originally Posted By: JFAllen
OWXX oils pump faster when cold then 5WXX oils. That's only a good thing.

Thing is that they don't pump quicker in Albury.

They only pump quicker if they are tat the limits of pumpability (their "W" designation).

It's a sliding scale. the difference is minor (especially if it's not super cold
wink.gif
)

historically 0W30 nd 0W40 oils were pumped full of PPD's and VII's but with modern (quality) synthetics, this not really an issue to worry about. Which is why people would advocate for 10W30 and 15W40's.

SHU 0W30 ECT C2/C3 lives in the Saab. If however it's not super cold even a 10W30 will be more than fine. [censored], in Aus people still love 20W50 all year around
smile.gif

Jordan

Yup, as long as it will flow into the pump intake, it will pump the same. They're positive displacement pumps. Same volume per rev - 5W, 0W, 10W, 15W - as long as it's not wax, it'll be the same
laugh.gif

That's why SAE 30 serve for over 75 years. As long as it was not frozen, it all works about the same. Sling oiling, and splash oiling are different at different temps, but not pumped
smile.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back