Mobil Annual Protection good for 2 years?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gents,

I have a 2015 Chevy Volt. This car has an engine and a large battery. Runs as a full electric until the battery goes flat. Then, it fires up the engine and operates very much like a Prius.

About 80%-90% of the miles are all electric, so the engine (and the oil contained therein) is hardly used. When it is, it's because we were on a road trip, so the engine warms up fully and burns off any condensate.

GM calls out Dexos 1. Mobil 1 Annual Protection meets Dexos 1. GM's Oil Life Monitor tracks both engine use, and calendar time. It will not let the oil go for more than 2 years in the sump.

GM says that any Dexos 1 oil can last up to 2 years, depending on engine use. Mobil says that their Annual Protection oil must be changed out after 1 year, no matter what the engine use.

Who's right?

The warranty is 12 months ~ it will not turn into a pumpkin at midnight … keep driving …

Mobil would love to sell you oil every year. Seems like there was a discussion similar to this a while back. Two years is not a bad idea.

Quote:
GM says that any Dexos 1 oil can last up to 2 years

I would trust GM on this and follow the OLM, up to 2 years depending on usage, with any Dexos1 oil.

You could save some coin and get M1 EP instead.

Your good to follow the OLM on any DEXOS 1 oil. If Pennzoil Gold(a synthetic blend) would be able to do it, why wouldn't a so much better oil, Mobil 1 AP. be more than capable?

SuperTech Conventional would probably be fine for 2 years.

Mobil 1 AP? Yeah, it'll be fine.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Mobil is in the business of selling oil.

I thought XM was in business to sell socks.

Originally Posted By: tig1

I thought XM was in business to sell socks.

You're thinking of Fruit of the Loom
lol.gif

I emailed XOM about why they recommended annual oil changes. They said it's a warrantee issue. CVX didn't seem to understand my question and their reply didn't make much sense. To me at least. I leave regular M1 in my Ford vans for up to 5 years, That's about 7500 OCI. Haven't had any problems. I do recommend OEM filters if you can get them.

I have a couple generators that I use for a couple hours once every ten years or so. I have M1 in them. Am I going to throw that oil out after 2 hours ues? No. It would simply be a waste. Waste is waste.

I've been using the same tub of Kendall Super Blue grease that I bought in 1980 to pack the wheel bearings in my trucks for almost 40 years now. Despite reading by some authority on the internet that grease has a shelf life, I have never had a single bearing problem.

Originally Posted By: NibbanaBanana
I emailed XOM about why they recommended annual oil changes. They said it's a warrantee issue. CVX didn't seem to understand my question and their reply didn't make much sense. To me at least.

Right? It makes no sense. If the OLM programmed by GM says that Dexos 1 oil is fine, then it should be fine. GM backs their OLM with their warranty - if you follow the OLM and you have a problem, then GM will fix it if it's under warranty. End of discussion.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
The warranty is 12 months ~ it will not turn into a pumpkin at midnight … keep driving …

Aw man no pumpkin peices coming out of his next drain for exceeding 12 months?!
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: KL31
Originally Posted By: 4WD

Aw man no pumpkin peices coming out of his next drain for exceeding 12 months?!
frown.gif

Well, might be safer to grow or buy them … and even then bake into a pie to be extra safe !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back