Ban Amazon Links

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we should ban Amazon links.

Wayne obviously doesn't have the time to go around repairing 50 threads per day.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

No one is forcing you to click on them.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
No one is forcing you to click on them.

No but they are forcing me to use the side scroll bar at the bottom of the page which I hate very much.

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
You really are running out of things to post about, aren't you?

Up until a couple of days ago the moderators have been able to keep a handle on the Amazon links, but in the last 48 hours, BITOG has been getting inundated by Amazon links.

Up until a couple of days ago the moderators have been able to keep a handle on the Amazon links, but in the last 48 hours, BITOG has been getting inundated by Amazon links.

I did in fact try to help another member who was asking for some wheel bearing suggestions. I don't sit at the computer all day long and basically know how to turn it on, turn it off, and read and send emails. I had no idea how to link to the wheel bearings I suggested on Amazon other than the way I did it.

Perhaps you could have tried correcting me or showing me by using the private message option?

I will be able to sleep tonight knowing that I tried to contribute information to a fellow member in a small way, and even be able to sleep knowing it rattled another member for some unknown reason!

Get a life!

At least one guy agrees with me !
thankyou2.gif

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Can't believe I'm posting this but, I actually agree with the Merkster on this one.
shocked.gif
When a link is posted that causes a required side to side scroll, I generally just leave/avoid the thread. Make no reply on it. Very irritating and some are so long it's downright absurd.

I see waynewillson fixed one that I too noticed recently, example two.

Merkava_4,

Instead of wasting bandwidth with such a complaint, how about you write up a how to, showing users how to use the forum functions to embed a link? We can then make it a sticky.

Most amazon links show us just fine on my equipment, btw. Not sure why once in a while they get real long. IME its the exception, not the rule...

Depending which browser you use. You can block banners and advertisement. I do. Firefox and Chrome are great in that order. I see no ads..........Clear your cookies.

Respectfully,

Pajero!

OK......

so what MOST people don't know when posting "monster length" links....

...is that if you delete everything after the "?" (including the "?").....

.........ccessory/dp/B00L6DAD52/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1512616149&sr=8-5&keywords...........

....then you won't ever again have to scroll "side-to-side"

just a little PSA

I am fine with long URLs being used for the hyperlink text. I have dual widescreen monitors on my PC. I may even upgrade to three monitors so I can have two of them dedicated to BITOG.

According to the rules, aren't they technically banned already? After all, Amazon links are non-sponsor commercial links. Generally, I have no problem with using an Amazon picture or pointing someone in that direction, but Amazon isn't a sponsor here, so I have no desire to link to their pages. Amazon hasn't done me any favours in the least, so I have little incentive to advertise for them. Amazon's U.S. site (I don't even type the .com part here) won't send me something if it's available from the Canadian site at a greatly inflated price, so to [censored] with both of them.

As for the sidescrolling bit, yes, that's annoying, and bugs me most in the UOA threads. To those who want to post a long link, or even a small one, you can do it this way, demonstrated with sponsor links, using the create a link to a webpage button, just beside the smiley button, like Ethan1 did:

This, for example, is where to get SOPUS data sheets. Yes, the web address isn't 5,000 characters long or similarly silly, but you get the idea. There's no need to have a URL screwing up page formatting here.

Here is Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5w-30, with a much longer URL, without screwing up anyone's formatting.

Originally Posted By: ls973800

I did in fact try to help another member who was asking for some wheel bearing suggestions. I don't sit at the computer all day long and basically know how to turn it on, turn it off, and read and send emails. I had no idea how to link to the wheel bearings I suggested on Amazon other than the way I did it.

Perhaps you could have tried correcting me or showing me by using the private message option?

I will be able to sleep tonight knowing that I tried to contribute information to a fellow member in a small way, and even be able to sleep knowing it rattled another member for some unknown reason!

Get a life!

For me, this post has a side scroll for Merk's quote. No links posted either.

*LS's quote does too.

Last edited:

Originally Posted By: Linctex
OK...... So what MOST people don't know when posting "monster length" links. Is that if you delete everything after the "?", (including the "?"), then you won't ever again have to scroll "side-to-side"....

So what we have here, is someone right away screaming for something to be "banned". Who, out of their own ignorance, doesn't even understand the facts of what is going on with what he wants "banned" in the first place. What does that remind you of?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back