Swedish Meatballs w/ roasted onions & pasts

Status
Not open for further replies.
IKEA has great Swedish meatballs. They're already cooked and frozen. Makes for a quick & tasty meal.

I like to roast in a metal pan in a 400°F pre-heated oven. Put the oven rack down in the lowest or 2nd from bottom slot. Shake every 10min, until well browned and thoroughly heated. Eat with toothpicks and dip in German mustard or sauce of your choice. Easy, quick appetizer or meal. Great with beer too.

I frequently slice up three yellow or red onions, add to the pan and roast until the onions are limp and a bit shriveled. Stir regularly to expose new food to the hot pan bottom. Don't worry too much about any fond sticking to the pan. When thoroughly browned, remove pan from oven and add about 6oz of a malty lager beer to the pan, then scrape up fond using a wooden spoon. This makes a sauce, adds incredible flavor. Stir meatballs & onions in sauce to evenly coat.

(You can also remove onions & meatballs, add the beer, a bit of beef stock, scrape up the fond to build a sauce, return to the oven a few minutes to thoroughly heat, then return the onions & MB's and stir to coat.

Goes great with egg noodles or farfalle (bowtie) pasta. Add a TBLSPN or two of butter to one lb. of pasta after draining for more richness. This combination will feed a lot of people and be filling.

Sprinkle a bit of finely shredded Parmesan cheese on top before serving.

Great Looking dinner.
Informative article.
DID YOU KNOW: Swedish meatballs are considered "lunch box" food.
Three families might split 5kg of ground meat and cook and freeze a supply of them.
Seen it done.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
Would that make it Swedish Meatballs a la Secretariat?

They do taste great but I couldn't get rid of the bad whinney sounds I made afterwards.
smile.gif

They gave me the trots.

Actually there is nothing wrong with horse meat it's very lean and tasty.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
That looks delicious! I did a little searching and found this:Horsemeat found in Ikea Meatballs
Did you notice how old that old article is? 2013.

Did you also read this?

Quote:
LONDON -- It's been about a month since a factory in Ireland let the pony out of the stable and admitted to finding traces of equine DNA in beef patties it made for export to the United Kingdom.

IKEA spokeswoman Ylva Magnusson said meatballs from the same batch had gone out to Slovakia, Hungary, France, Britain, Portugal, the Netherlands, Belgium, Spain, Italy, Greece, Cyprus and Ireland.

Don't see USA mentioned anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back