Draining the FF gear and xfer case oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy Wednesday folks.

2016 Wrangler fitted with a D30 front and D44 rear with limited slip as well as the transfer case. Not sure on the model, but it's comparable to the 231 found in the Cherokee. 2wd, 4hi, 4lo and neutral.

Probably going to go synthetic 75w90. I'd have to recheck the OM, but I am 95% certain it does not require a synthetic, but this is BITOG. The transfer case most likely requires ATF+4.

Also, Dana (or Jeep) finally copied the great Toyota and added a drain plug to their differential housings. Not sure when this happened, but I know for a fact the 2009 Rubicon my 'rents had with front and rear D44's did not have them. "Here's a highly capable off road machine. Let's make it a chore to drain the gear oil!" Meanwhile, there's Toyota. Drain, fill, done in 30 minutes tops with no RTV, mess etc.

As someone with a 4Runner, I can vouch for this. I'm not very mechanically inclined, even though I do oil changes and such, and the rear diff + xfer case fluids were super easy. Still have to do the front diff however, which is a bit more challenging.

Do you tow with it? If so, 75W-140 is the recommendation. If it were mine (and I were not towing), I would grab some Amsoil 75W-110 which is the viscosity the upper end of 75W-90 was before the J306 tables were updated.

The Transfer Case definitely takes ATF+4 fluid.
Jeep specs SAE 80W-90 (API GL-5) Fluid for the Front Differential.
Jeep specs SAE 80W-90 (API GL-5) Fluid for the Rear Differential. BUT... if towing, Synthetic SAE 75W-140 with limited slip additive.

Last edited:
Agree with PSDs rec of the Amsoil 75W110 if you are not towing.
If you need to have something available off-the-shelf, I recommend Synpower 75W90, as it meets the tougher SAE J2360 specification.
And pretty much all syn gear oils have LS additive in it. I would run them straight, and add additive only if it was making noise.

Last edited:
I would use Amsoil SVG 75W90 in the front differential and Amsoil SVT 75W110 in the rear differential.

Is 3000 miles on the vehicle too early to drain the gear and t case oil?

The idea is to get the break in metals out.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Is 3000 miles on the vehicle too early to drain the gear and t case oil? The idea is to get the break in metals out.
I waited until 9K on my F-250 and 13K on my F-150 (though I wanted to drain the F-150 at 10K). I would wait until at least 5K to be sure that it is fully broken in or you will be adding more wear metals to the new oil in short order (unless you are going to change it again in the near future). Also, is your T-Case in constant use? If not, there will not be any wear metals to remove.

Is 3000 miles on the vehicle too early to drain the gear and t case oil?

The idea is to get the break in metals out.

Its never "too early," but honestly I don't think gears are really done shedding their early break-in material for at least 10k miles. You can do it now, but I'd do it again at 10k-20k.

Remember, these gears often live 200k miles for people who NEVER change the gear oil, so you don't really have to change early at all. But if you do, it makes the most sense (to me anyway) to wait until you're pretty sure the high wear rate period is over and done.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Is 3000 miles on the vehicle too early to drain the gear and t case oil? The idea is to get the break in metals out.
I waited until 9K on my F-250 and 13K on my F-150 (though I wanted to drain the F-150 at 10K). I would wait until at least 5K to be sure that it is fully broken in or you will be adding more wear metals to the new oil in short order (unless you are going to change it again in the near future). Also, is your T-Case in constant use? If not, there will not be any wear metals to remove.

The transfer case has constant spinning internals.

So it is AWD?

So it is AWD?

No. It's selectable like a np231 as I mentioned in my OP.

It's chain driven, which is moving regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back