Anyone use an auto darkening welding helmet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not a welder but I am considering giving one to my Dad for Christmas? Do any of you use these regularly or is it safer to stick with a traditional helmet? Does the auto darkening helmet make it easier to get the stinger situated and hold it there before striking the arc?

I use one with my MIG, it makes a huge difference. The funny thing is your eye does not see the lens darken, just the image changes to seeing the arc light not ambient light. Kind of strange yet seemlessly user friendly.

I use a $5 chinise solar powered lens replacment in my standard pipeline welders helmet.

Love my Jackson BH3 WH70! There are a wide range of differences and quality in the helmets out there today.

The biggest concern is the time to darken. Some are longer than others. After hours of welding, your eyes will get fatigued.

The fastest lens you can get will minimize this
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: expat

I use a $5 Chinese solar powered lens replacement in my standard pipeline welders helmet.

I tried these, but have been VERY disappointed with many of its functions, and (LACK of) features.
(Especially having too light of shade, and non-adjustable).

Honestly, the blue flamed Harbor Freight helmet for $40 is a good buy. I used one for years.

I currently have a 3M Speedglas 9100 FX Welding Helmet - HUGE step up!!

They are great. The worst problem I find is when I accidentally block the solar panel and get a much brighter experience. Still has the default shade though so I don't go arc blind. This only happens when I'm crawling around under a car up on stands... the helmet makes my head "assembly" that much bigger.

If you compare the clarity of the view of the puddle with even an expensive auto-darkening helmet and a cheap standard lens side by side, the standard lens is very noticeably better. AD lenses have a real advantage when striking an arc but once you’ve established an arc you can see better with a conventional lens. This is important for me since my eyes aren’t quite what they used to be.

But for a gift for your dad I’d say the AD lens is the way to go.

Originally Posted By: Langanobob
If you compare the clarity of the view of the puddle with even an expensive auto-darkening helmet and a cheap standard lens side by side, the standard lens is very noticeably better. AD lenses have a real advantage when striking an arc but once you’ve established an arc you can see better with a conventional lens. This is important for me since my eyes aren’t quite what they used to be

But for a gift for your dad I’d say the AD lens is the way to go.

I noticed the same thing. The problem is the ad ones flicker while the standard lenses stay nice and steady. Mine was turning my eyes red.

I have both types, both have advantages. I like the gold colored conventional lenses for TIG welding. Interestingly I can move my head to reflect some light back on the work with the gold lens. Plus the large gold lens is optically water-clear when welding and has a HUGE field of view. Great for welding when out of position, such as looking down over my nose.

The Miller auto lens is uber fast, has adjustable darkness and allows accurate viewing before welding. However, it's optically inferior and has a narrow field of view. Even so, this is the one I use most.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
I like the gold colored conventional lenses for TIG welding. Interestingly I can move my head to reflect some light back on the work with the gold lens. Plus the large gold lens is optically water-clear when welding and has a HUGE field of view. Great for welding when out of position, such as looking down over my nose.

I've used those and instead of seeing one stick electrode, I'll see three stick electrodes in a row. Which one am I welding with? Well, all three of course. You can have all those gold lenses you want; you'll never have to worry about me buying them up before you get to the store.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I've used those and instead of seeing one stick electrode, I'll see three stick electrodes in a row. Which one am I welding with? Well, all three of course. You can have all those gold lenses you want; you'll never have to worry about me buying them up before you get to the store.

Interesting, most of my work is light TIG stuff, so the gold lens is great. Maybe that's why I've not noticed 3 images. Certainly, I can see how it might happen. I'll look for it next time.

Last edited:
i also strongly prefer a good old fixed shade helmet...most of the auto helmets ive borrowed to try dont seem to look very good while welding...my fixed shade has a huge viewing window too...

I use a plain black Lincoln viking 3350 (the cheapest 3350), not too expensive but it does a great job and is highly rated, the viewing area is larger than most.
One nice thing about it is the reading glass inserts that are available, I use readers but they can be a problem under the mask, the insert takes care of that.

Originally Posted By: Trav
I use a plain black Lincoln viking 3350 (the cheapest 3350), not too expensive but it does a great job and is highly rated, the viewing area is larger than most.
One nice thing about it is the reading glass inserts that are available, I use readers but they can be a problem under the mask, the insert takes care of that.

I use a mag lens in my Miller(which has a slot for the mag) auto dark hood along with my glasses and it works quite well for tig welding. No double image.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Carbon12
I am not a welder but I am considering giving one to my Dad for Christmas? Do any of you use these regularly or is it safer to stick with a traditional helmet? Does the auto darkening helmet make it easier to get the stinger situated and hold it there before striking the arc?

Does your dad weld professionally? or just do some hobby welding at home? If it's just some hobby welding then I would say an auto darkening helmet would be fine. I personally use a standard non auto helmet in work (mainly heavy industrial welding with gas shielded flux core wire) because I have tried almost all of the auto darkening helmets and wasn't happy with any of them. After long shifts I just had eye strain with all of them. Keep in mind I am talking about high amperage welding for 8-10 hour shifts. If I need to do something at home I will often times reach for my auto darkening hood because I don't feel the eye strain if it's just for short times... plus it does make life easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back