Delo 5w40 Syn CJ-4 vs CK-4 VOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was a bit surprised at what came back, including the total lack of any moly. Will be interesting to see how it does.

Line 1 is the CJ-4 oil (packaged in Aug of 2017), Line 2 is the CK-4 oil (packaged in Oct of 2017)

You can thank the SN rating, check out the Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme 5w40 CK-4 it’s similar to the CJ-4 Delo you’re used to but just costs more. NAPA puts it on sale for $19.99 every few months.

Thanks for posting! At 684PPM of phosphorus, Delo CK-4 is certainly weak sauce for Ford Powerstrokes.

Originally Posted By: Bighorn2500
You can thank the SN rating, check out the Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme 5w40 CK-4 it’s similar to the CJ-4 Delo you’re used to but just costs more. NAPA puts it on sale for $19.99 every few months.

What does it test like? It is also CK-4/SN rated now... Of the majors..so far Shell is the only one I see staying away from SN except for the "Multi Vehicle" branded variant of T-6.

Originally Posted By: PiperOne
What does it test like? It is also CK-4/SN rated now... Of the majors..so far Shell is the only one I see staying away from SN except for the "Multi Vehicle" branded variant of T-6.

Mobil dropped SN for some variants, too. Their E6 lube still has SN, as does their new FA-4 5w-30, since I decided to check the sheet.
wink.gif

Since I live and operate in North America...ACEA ratings don't matter to me. None of my equipment shows up asking for ACEA spec oils, it's Cx-x or a specific OE spec like Dexos or Cummins 20086 etc. .I'm talking about CK-4 oils..specifically 5w40 full syns. Do they have a 5w40 CK-4 that isn't SN?

My point was that an ACEA E6 lubricant already is at the correct phosphorus limit for API SN in ILSAC grades, so they have one less hurdle. In more general terms, the main line HDEOs all have ACEA specs of one sort or another, usually E7, E9.

Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40 and Rotella 5w-40 both lack SN in their CK-4 variants, as far as I recall.

And yet...current (dated 12-2017)PDS on the web...

That is strange. The picture above your post shows different, of course, as did the data sheet I saw from Imperial Oil a while back. Oddly enough, though, even with the sheet lacking SM or SN, they stated under applications the old blurb about high performance gasoline engines.
wink.gif

I'd call the sheet a typo. There's no SM or SN in the API Donut, so that would be my first point of reference. But, one never knows.

http://www.ghberlinwindward.com/wp-conte...-4-791x1024.jpg

I read about the VPBE on the link above.

Current PDS as of 06/2017...SN rated. Too bad...I like the oil you posted!

https://sharena21.springcm.com/Public/Do...12-ac162d889bd1

I'm wondering if something changed in the last 6 months with some kind of new chemistry becoming available or whether the customer demand for "mixed fleet" oils has made them (and others) change. Chevron initially said to me that the PC-11 (CK-4) product wouldn't really change much..the changes were all about FA-4. Now they tell me they have a "new" type of additive pack and are very boastful about how much better it will be from a wear standpoint. It also took them 7 months longer to get the CK-4 syns to market than they said it would. Cummins has confidence in the Val product obviously letting you go out to 60,000 mile drains.

http://www.ghberlinwindward.com/wp-conte...-4-791x1024.jpg

I read about the VPBE on the link above.

Current PDS as of 06/2017...SN rated. Too bad...I like the oil you posted!

https://sharena21.springcm.com/Public/Do...12-ac162d889bd1

I'm wondering if something changed in the last 6 months with some kind of new chemistry becoming available or whether the customer demand for "mixed fleet" oils has made them (and others) change. Chevron initially said to me that the PC-11 (CK-4) product wouldn't really change much..the changes were all about FA-4. Now they tell me they have a "new" type of additive pack and are very boastful about how much better it will be from a wear standpoint. It also took them 7 months longer to get the CK-4 syns to market than they said it would. Cummins has confidence in the Val product obviously letting you go out to 60,000 mile drains.

I just figured if it was on the Ford oil list for PowerStrokes it probably has enough Zinc & Phosphorus for my Cummins as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back