O2 sensor pics. Warped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
2011 Equinox 2.4l.
Just had it rebuilt, curtisy of GM, for oil burning.
While MUCH better gas mileage average, it still wasn't the best. Acceleration was sluggish and the instantaneous gas mileage on the dic showed about 3 or 4 mpg durring take off. Even wgen i barely touched the pedal.
Dealer never replaced the o2 sensor. "No code, no problem"...right /s

I bought an oem ac delco for $36 on Amazon and replaced it.
DIC now shows about 8 mpg on take off and much more power.

Will see long term if average mpg improves.

Just 65k on the car. Bought it a year ago.

First pic is new one. Rest is old one.
Notice the warping. I pulled it a few days ago for first time and there was white crust on one side. The white crust is no longer there today when I replaced it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: maxdustington
I've read that white build up on an 02 sensor is silicone contamination. Don't quote me though I read that years ago and am not a pro mechanic by any means.

White crust is usually oil ash.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
I've read that white build up on an 02 sensor is silicone contamination. Don't quote me though I read that years ago and am not a pro mechanic by any means.

If it was burning such an exorbitant amount of oil that GM actually replaced the engine, then I wonder if there was so much ash on there it acted as an insulator which caused it to overheat and warp like that. Certainly the remnants are left on the side that is warped the most. Very wierd.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Originally Posted By: Linctex

If it was burning such an exorbitant amount of oil that GM actually replaced the engine, then I wonder if there was so much ash on there it acted as an insulator which caused it to overheat and warp like that. Certainly the remnants are left on the side that is warped the most. Very wierd.

It was also the side that was crusty white.
They just replaced the pistons, rings, tensioner chain and a couple other parts.

The catalytic converter was exceeding 1800 deg f durring the time it was burning oil.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
lowegian, did you pull the oxygen sensor on just a hunch ?

In a way, yes.
Still thought it was sluggish. O2 sensor that is going bad can cause it. + oil burning in it's history. Figured it might be bad and crusty. Didn't expect it to be warped.

I have seen the cage get completely burnt off in normal operation.

Check for a cracked manifold or other leaks by idling the engine and having someone block the tailpipe with a rag while you listen at the front of the car. Leaks will make a hissing sound when pressure builds up.

I monitor my O2 temp on my turbo Gen Coupe. It will see 1600F with out much effort with the gas pedal.

Originally Posted By: Iowegian
In a way, yes.
Still thought it was sluggish. O2 sensor that is going bad can cause it. + oil burning in it's history. Figured it might be bad and crusty. Didn't expect it to be warped.

I might need to do the same thing. I don't have a scanner to read fuel trims, but the upstream oxygen sensor has over 131,000 miles on it and my fuel mileage has dropped from 19.6 mpg all the way down to 17.1 mpg over the course of 12 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back