10-ply too much?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are the pros and cons of running a 10 ply over a 4 ply tire. Vehicle is a 2017 tacoma (see signature). Got a set of nokian haka lt2's And see that they are 10 ply. How will it affect traction and steering? Ride quality is a secondary concern to me

The 10 ply rated LT tire is much sturdier construction, so that in itself will help durability while offroad, but with that sturdier construction comes a harsher ride, and more weight in the tire itself. Which negatively affects acceleration, braking, and fuel economy.

The P-rated 4 ply rated tires are chosen by OEM's for their smoother ride, and better MPG.

Another thing to keep in mind is that P-rated 4-ply rated tires when mounted on trucks and SUV's, is that the load rating of the tire is reduced by a factor of 1.1.

If you're really going to use the truck off-road, and don't mind the trade-offs of the heavier, sturdier tire, I'd go with the 10 ply rated LT tire.

Originally Posted By: 02SE
The 10 ply rated LT tire is much sturdier construction, so that in itself will help durability while offroad, but with that sturdier construction comes a harsher ride, and more weight in the tire itself. Which negatively affects acceleration, braking, and fuel economy.

The P-rated 4 ply rated tires are chosen by OEM's for their smoother ride, and better MPG.

Another thing to keep in mind is that P-rated 4-ply rated tires when mounted on trucks and SUV's, is that the load rating of the tire is reduced by a factor of 1.1.

If you're really going to use the truck off-road, and don't mind the trade-offs of the heavier, sturdier tire, I'd go with the 10 ply rated LT tire.

The tires in question will Be my Winter tires. Ooccasional off road and gravel but the rave reviews and the great deal I was able to get on the nokian hakapalletia lt2's Made me jump on them and I just happened to notice they were 10 ply, so long as my traction isn't compromised I don't care about ride quality, it's a dang truck

Well, first of all the ply rating terminology is a vestigial remnant of when tires were constructed with biased plys. They roughly approximate the current LT load ratings but are not accurate. A "10 ply" is supposed to be an LT Load E rated tire but I think you'd be surprised to find very few have anywhere near ten plys.

For example, the Falken AT3W LT285/70r17 Load Range E tires I have on my F150 actually have:
-5 tread plies (2 polyester, 2 steel, 1 polyamide)
-2 sidewall plies (polyester)

I suppose one could say its a "5 ply" but thats just...wrong. Anyways I will step down off my soapbox now, but its just one of those things that kinda rubs me wrong so I had to say something.

FWIW, it seems like the biggest different these days is with tread depth and carcass weight. One could assume the latter being related to "toughness" I suppose.

Actually, the 10 ply should have more traction.
I am assuming it is a thicker thread also.

The Load Range E/10 ply "RATED" tire isn't going to have 10 plys, but it will have a much larger load capacity. For instance, the GMC C3500 in my sig has LT245/75R16E tires on all 4 corners, but I only run 45-50 PSI in the fronts, and adjust the rears to whatever load I'm carrying-if it's basically empty, they get 50 PSI, a heavy load in the bed or trailer, they get 80. The only tradeoff on a lighter truck is a more truck-like ride.

Don't forget about how FN heavy they are, plus much more money. Kills the acceleration, braking, ride, and fuel economy too.

Plenty of guys at TacomaWorld run Load Range E tires on their trucks with no major issues.

I think they'll make for a rather harsh and howling ride on the highway, but as you said ride quality is not important.

I've wheeled with P tires for years, no issues. E seems a bit excessive for a Tacoma, but if it has power/brakes to spare, guess try it.

Originally Posted By: NissanHauler
What are the pros and cons of running a 10 ply over a 4 ply tire. Vehicle is a 2017 tacoma (see signature). Got a set of nokian haka lt2's And see that they are 10 ply. How will it affect traction and steering? Ride quality is a secondary concern to me

First, you need to use 15 psi more than what the vehicle tire placard says. That preserves the load carrying capacity of the tire, compared to the P type tire that was on there before. Needless to say, that is going to negatively affect the ride quality.

But traction and steering response is more controlled by the tire itself and not the change in tire type.

I always thought that one of the things that made a snow tire good was a soft sidewall and the ability of the tread to flex and toss snow out, when appropriate. Going with these over-rugged 10 plies seems like a step in the wrong direction.

But if you get more tread or better rubber compounds that could counteract it.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
NissanHauler said:
...First, you need to use 15 psi more than what the vehicle tire placard says...

Not necessarily true. You need to check the load inflation tables. Using my truck for the example again. Stock tire was a P235/75r17 (I forget the load range at this moment) and after cross checking the tables and talking with Falken we determined that running Load E LT285/70r17 would take the same [38psi] inflation pressure. But of course there was a drastic sizing change.

!0 ply tires are stock on my 1986 GM K20 HD 6.2L.I will always believe that the tires saved me and my truck,when I was rear ended by a drunk driver,and sent into a full 360,with an 800 pound garden tractor in the bed of my truck.The stiff 70 to 80pd tires, handled the situation way better, allowing me to slide instead of roll over.

First, you need to use 15 psi more than what the vehicle tire placard says. That preserves the load carrying capacity of the tire, compared to the P type tire that was on there before. Needless to say, that is going to negatively affect the ride quality.

But traction and steering response is more controlled by the tire itself and not the change in tire type.

That's a blanket generalization that is more often than not incorrect. It might get one close to the desired pressure in some cases, but it would be dangerous to follow it as a general rule.

OP's Tacoma came standard with P245/75R16 tires and a recommended cold tire inflation pressure of 32psi F/R. This yields a Load Limit of 2,172 pounds/tire.

OP did not state specifically, but let's assume the Nokian LT2's he purchased are the same size just LT-Metric, i.e. LT245/75R16.

Since we have to adjust the Load Limit requirement by 10% when switching from a P-Metric tire to a LT-Metric tire, we need to find a tire pressure for the LT-Metric tires that would yield a Load Limit of 1,975 pounds/tire (2172/1.1=1975).

All that means that the Recommended Cold Tire Inflation Pressure for the LT245/75R16 tires on the OP's 2017 Tacoma is 44psi F/R.

HTH

Originally Posted By: gaijinnv

That's a blanket generalization that is more often than not incorrect. It might get one close to the desired pressure in some cases, but it would be dangerous to follow it as a general rule.

OP's Tacoma came standard with P245/75R16 tires and a recommended cold tire inflation pressure of 32psi F/R. This yields a Load Limit of 2,172 pounds/tire.

OP did not state specifically, but let's assume the Nokian LT2's he purchased are the same size just LT-Metric, i.e. LT245/75R16.

Since we have to adjust the Load Limit requirement by 10% when switching from a P-Metric tire to a LT-Metric tire, we need to find a tire pressure for the LT-Metric tires that would yield a Load Limit of 1,975 pounds/tire (2172/1.1=1975).

All that means that the Recommended Cold Tire Inflation Pressure for the LT245/75R16 tires on the OP's 2017 Tacoma is 44psi F/R.

HTH

Can i get this in English? Are you say I g I need to run my tires at 44psi?

Originally Posted By: gaijinnv

HTH

Can i get this in English? Are you say I g I need to run my tires at 44psi?

Yes.

"All that means that the Recommended Cold Tire Inflation Pressure for the LT245/75R16 tires on the OP's 2017 Tacoma is 44psi F/R."

HTH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back