EBC Yellow Stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
My mom runs EBC yellows on her Volvo s60R and she likes them. I've driven the car a few timesnaince I've moved back east and the brakes feel great.

EBC yellow stuff and hawk hps are excellent street performance pads.

I ran them a year
No doubt better stopping than the OEM pads … downside was heavy dust on wheels and rotor wear.
Replaced with PowerStop Truck/Tow and Callahan slotted rotors (coated) … this is almost as good and also better than stock

I believe EBC Red stuff is a ceramic formula with less dust. The yellow is marketed for cars that often see the track.

I hate brake dust. Aren't Akebonos supposed to be a low dust, high performance pad? I've never used them or EBCs. The OEM pads on my Frontier are very low dust. I have Wagner Thermoquiets on the CR-V and they stop great but seem to get the wheels dirty fairly fast.

I've used EBC and Hawk pads on my GTO. Both where ok but chewed up rotors, where very dusty and would sometimes squeal. I did a lot of research and went with Carbotech Bobcat 1521 pads both frt and rear and DBA clubspec T3 rotors. Stopping power is awesome especially since my car weighs more than 4000 lbs. The pads are quiet, and relatively dust free. Also if you're going to go with performance pads make sure you change your brake fluid to something with a high boiling point like Motul RBF, Castrol SBF, ATE superblue. Oh and get ready for some price shock cause some of these things aren't cheap.

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
Good for a daily driver that gets a bit spirited at times?

EBC Greenstuff is perfectly good for that. Yellow is probably overkill and may be dustier, but should work fine.

Whatever brand or type of pad you choose make sure the pad temp rating suits your needs. Don't buy race pads for a daily/occasional spirited driving because race pads have completely different operating temps and you will not be able to stop on the street.

65k on my yellows for the Gen coupe with Brembos. Can't seem to wear them out. Still had a 1/4" last time I checked.

Another good choice is Centric HD pads if they are available for your car. I ran those in my Evo and even tracked with them occasionally. Much cheaper than the Hawk HPS pads and on the butt dyno felt the same in braking performance.

Not available for all cars and trucks though. Worth looking into.

Jeff

Originally Posted By: fenixguy
I hate brake dust. Aren't Akebonos supposed to be a low dust, high performance pad? I've never used them or EBCs. The OEM pads on my Frontier are very low dust. I have Wagner Thermoquiets on the CR-V and they stop great but seem to get the wheels dirty fairly fast.

I have [good] experience with the Akebono ProACT ceramic pads and they produce virtually no dust. With that said, they don't stop much better than OE, so for the OP's needs he should probably try Akebono PERFORMANCE ceramic pads if he wants to go with this brand.

Originally Posted By: gofast182

I have [good] experience with the Akebono ProACT ceramic pads and they produce virtually no dust. With that said, they don't stop much better than OE, so for the OP's needs he should probably try Akebono PERFORMANCE ceramic pads if he wants to go with this brand.

I have akebono street performance right now. They're good, I'm looking for more bite. Car is heavy, door sticker says 4400lbs

I've always been curious about how the Yellowstuff (and Redstuff) are when cold. Are they usable when cold? Like in daily driving?

Right now, my car has Ultimax "Blackstuff" and they are awesome as an OE replacement.

Akebono makes a few different pads.

The ProACT line is OE replacement, with much less dust and *slightly* more performance. The Performance Ultra line (part numbers starting with ASP) is the high performance pad, and still with low dust. And finally the Akebono Euro is OE replacement for European cars, but with much less dust.

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
Originally Posted By: spasm3
Do the yellowstuff pads have good cold bite?

They claim to but that's why I started this thread because I've never run them

They did for me ~ but I’d back off one level due to the rotor wear … Yellow seems very abrasive …

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back