Nissan Frontier - Cold Weather Startup Noise

Late last winter, my '08 Frontier started making a loud whining noise when I started it. This only happened when it was cold (below freezing) outside AND the engine was cold. It wasn't a belt squealing sound, it's not quite as high pitched and grating. The noise faded away after 30 seconds to a minute of driving. It would vary with RPM, louder and higher pitched with higher RPM's.

I did some reading on Frontier forums, there can be a belt tensioner issue. I decided to replace the tensioner and belt, and figured I'd do the idler pulley while I was in there. I still had the issue, but warmer weather came and it's been quiet since. Well, until yesterday when it was 28 degrees when I walked out of work.

So, I'm trying to figure out next steps. I'm debating just taking it to my mechanic, but wanted to see if there were any other thoughts first. Of there remaining likely causes (PS pump, AC compressor, alternator, and fan clutch), I think the only thing I'd want to tackle myself in my garage would be the fan clutch.

TLDR - '08 Frontier, V6, 196K miles. Loud whining noise at startup when engine and weather is cold, but does not sound like a slipping belt. Varies with RPM. Goes away in a minute or two. Have replaced belt and tensioner.

Thanks!

Interesting as my '08 TrailBlazer is doing the same thing when the outside temp is near or below freezing, which is why it is in the shop.

Mechanic thinks it might be a belt tensioner pulley bearing, as do I.

We will know for sure later today.

My 2012 Frontier, to date, is doing very well in the cold weather.

Last edited:
2005 - 2010 Nissan VQ40 DE V6 motors had a major timing chain issue where the chain would wear threw the plastic guides and make noise. It is possible that yours is in the early stages of going and more noticeable in the cold?

I have the same engine in my 2012 Pathfinder and I must say mine is not exactly quiet when it gets cold.

Yes, I had a 2007 Fronty and it did the same thing. It was the timing chain wearing through the guides. GET THIS DONE right away as it can have serious consequences if you don't. Also, these Frontys leaked coolant into the ATF through the in-radiator ATF cooler causing the tranny to fail.

I'm not trying to hijack the thread but, I've read a lot about the timing chain guides with these engines. Is that something that was supposedly fixed in the later models?

I did have the timing chain issue and had it repaired. Based on the sound, this is not the timing chain issue. This is a much more shrill and loud whine, and much shorter in duration. I'm going to try and get a recording of it next time. I've not had the ATF issue. Fingers crossed that my luck continue to hold.

There's part of me that says it's just time to trade this thing in at December month end. I'd been thinking in the next six months, simply because it's getting long in the tooth and is my daily driver. And my kids are outgrowing the back seat. I just don't know what I'd buy - full size trucks are just getting too big, and I don't want to spend another 10 years in the same body style Frontier. It's been a solid truck, but I'd like a little variety. I'm also 6'4, so I don't fit many of the compact truck offerings.

I drove a Nissan Titan the other day just because they have crazy incentives on them. $33K for a crew cab, 4x4 truck isn't bad. That was their first offer, so I'm thinking there is negotiation room there. It still felt like a battleship, although maybe I'd get used to it.

Anyway, sorry to get off topic. The timing chain comments reminded me that I'm at the point where I don't want to sink crazy repair $$ into this truck.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Interesting as my '08 TrailBlazer is doing the same thing when the outside temp is near or below freezing, which is why it is in the shop.

I gather you're not going to throw additives at it until it goes away?
wink.gif
Sorry, couldn't resist.

Originally Posted By: fenixguy
I'm not trying to hijack the thread but, I've read a lot about the timing chain guides with these engines. Is that something that was supposedly fixed in the later models?

Yes. I've heard various theories of what caused it - either poorly machined chains cutting into the plastic guides or poor quality guides themselves. Both get replaced when it's fixed. Maybe someone else definitively knows what the issue was. I don't

Last edited:
I've seen things as obscure as a tiny crack in an upper intake manifold gasket causing a screechy/whiney noise on an extreme cold startup. Like a reed vibrating in a woodwind instrument. This used to be very common on early 2000 range Isuzu Rodeo and Trooper 3.2/3.5L. Probably not this Nissan's issue, just throwing it out there.

The timing chain issue was the result of Borge Warrner who made the chains and when there cutter would cut the chains if the cutter was old it would cut the chain links with sharp edges and thus would wear out the chain guides rather quickly. The chan and guide issue was fixed after the 2010 model year.

Originally Posted By: TWG1572
Late last winter, my '08 Frontier started making a loud whining noise when I started it. This only happened when it was cold (below freezing) outside AND the engine was cold. It wasn't a belt squealing sound, it's not quite as high pitched and grating. The noise faded away after 30 seconds to a minute of driving. It would vary with RPM, louder and higher pitched with higher RPM's.

I did some reading on Frontier forums, there can be a belt tensioner issue. I decided to replace the tensioner and belt, and figured I'd do the idler pulley while I was in there. I still had the issue, but warmer weather came and it's been quiet since. Well, until yesterday when it was 28 degrees when I walked out of work.

So, I'm trying to figure out next steps. I'm debating just taking it to my mechanic, but wanted to see if there were any other thoughts first. Of there remaining likely causes (PS pump, AC compressor, alternator, and fan clutch), I think the only thing I'd want to tackle myself in my garage would be the fan clutch.

TLDR - '08 Frontier, V6, 196K miles. Loud whining noise at startup when engine and weather is cold, but does not sound like a slipping belt. Varies with RPM. Goes away in a minute or two. Have replaced belt and tensioner.

Thanks!

Get an engine stethoscope, and listen around. I would start at the power steering pump. When it is cold the fluid is viscous. God luck!

When was the last time the power steering fluid was changed?

And no, turkey basters don't count lol.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
When was the last time the power steering fluid was changed?

And no, turkey basters don't count lol.

I'm ashamed to admit this on BITOG, but I don't know. I'd need to look at my receipts. 100K, or possibly never. Its never been something I've done with the other routine fluid changes.

Last edited:
After reading the comments, and a few other threads in other forums, I figured there was a reasonable chance that replacing the PS fluid *might* cure my problems. If nothing else, I've spent $5 on stupider things. And it should have been done earlier anyway.

I've exchanged the fluid twice with Dexron VI, using a syringe to remove the old fluid. The old fluid was red, but had a nasty burnt smell to it. I figure I'll change it again tonight, and then tomorrow night. That should use the whole quart and give the new fluid time to circulate and mix during my daily 60 mile round trip commute.

I'm looking forward to firing it up in the parking lot tonight and seeing if I get the whine. It's supposed to be 23 degrees, so it should be cold enough to trigger it. Fingers crossed!!

Supposedly 2011 and up is good to go. From my understanding the original issue was the OEM supplier for the timing sprocket gears was making them on worn tooling and the sprockets were wearing out the chains faster and taking out the guides prematurely.

My first thought on a cold weather whine is usually power steering.
Hope the fluid change helps, don't think dex6 is really what you should be using though.

Originally Posted By: cronk

Hope the fluid change helps, don't think dex6 is really what you should be using though.

Dex6 is what's recommended in the owner's manual as an alternative to Nissan Power Steering Fluid. Hopefully it will be OK.

"NISSAN Automatic Transmission Fluid or DEXRON™ VI type ATF may also be used."

I've been through a couple cold starts since the change, and silence. I'm hesitant yet to call it a victory, for fear of jinxing myself, so am going to give myself a week and see what happens.

Back