Ball Joint - Motorcraft OEM or Moog

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my brother in law's RWD 2004 F150 is needing (like about ready to fail) a new lower drivers side ball joint.

This is not a question of quality between the two, but about service.

I normally use Moog ball joints on my vehicles, but they are greasable. I am not positive that I will always be the one servicing his vehicle (I plan to though so long as he is nearby), and no idea of quick lube places even check and service them (does anyone know?).
I don't want to put the Moog on then 30,000 miles from now them fail because they have never been serviced.
I do know it will not be something he will do (physical problems) if I don't, and again, making sure a quickie lube place does it is unknown.

I am thinking of using Motorcraft since they are sealed, and the OEM ones lasted 150,000 miles. Only problem is, they are almost 2x the price, and when doing the whole front end, that can get very expensive (2 lower joints, 2 upper control arms with joints, tie rod ends (x2 inner and outer). Then add on the cost of the new strut assemblies that he needs, and I am close to $1000 with Motorcraft parts.

So biggest question is, will using Moog joints maybe having 15,000 miles at times between lube service?

Load ‘em up with a top shelf grease that will stay put and I bet it would be ok. 180k on stock joints on my daughters truck, though. Makes me lean towards motor craft.

I find it hard to believe that a quick lube place doesn't have a grease gun, but stranger things have happened.

I think the determination that needs to be made is what kind of condition is the rest of the truck in, and what's it worth? I'm all for repairing with qualitybparts, which both should be. The issue is that it's a 150k mile truck which could be rusty/beat up (or not), could be totaled easily if in an accident (or not, based upon value and condition), etc.

What's his tolerance to the cost of OE parts?

Id personally consider the moot parts because I enjoy doing the greasing on my truck. Having sealed parts is convenient but I just like to get under and do it. If he is at all cost averse, I'd just hammer it in that he needs to make sure that the truck gets greased when serviced, and there are x zerks.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I find it hard to believe that a quick lube place doesn't have a grease gun, but stranger things have happened.

Having and using are two different things.

Are you doing the work yourself? Motorcraft has a 2 year warranty, Moog is lifetime. Same deal with the struts, most strut makers like Monroe have a lifetime warranty and after 3-4 years I usually end up getting another free set. Monroe typically has a rebate during the spring and fall. I used to go with Moog for everything, get them at rockauto and send them back when they wore out for a 2nd set using the warranty. Using gmail, it's easy to find the receipt when you need them replaced. If the price is close, I prefer to use Advance Auto with the coupon code so you don't have shipping cost when returning old parts.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Different application, but I'm sorely disappointed with the Moog balljoints I put in the F-350. Motorcraft or bust.

Were they made in USA Problem Solvers, or something else?

I've seen reports that Moog quality has dropped quite a bit in recent years.

Can't go wrong with OEM parts.

MY first thought is try to get a discount on motorcraft. Go to the parts counter as a retail customer and you will probably be quoted sticker. Go to several places that sell Motorcraft with part numbers, etc. already researched and explain that you prefer MC but the gap has to be narrowed, it's already looked up, no hassle, etc.

Look at these from TRW, good stuff and LFL. Check the part# to make sure it fits the 2004

https://www.amazon.com/TRW-Automotive-JBJ1035-Premium-Joint/dp/B00T9XZZFO/ref=au_as_r?_encoding=UTF8&Make=Ford%7C54&Model=F-150%7C666&Year=2004%7C2004&ie=UTF8&n=15684181&newVehicle=1&s=automotive&vehicleId=1&vehicleType=automotive

I think the determination that needs to be made is what kind of condition is the rest of the truck in, and what's it worth? I'm all for repairing with qualitybparts, which both should be. The issue is that it's a 150k mile truck which could be rusty/beat up (or not), could be totaled easily if in an accident (or not, based upon value and condition), etc.

What's his tolerance to the cost of OE parts?

Well, the condition overall is not bad.
I have a little concern of the motor (the 5.4 that can have phaser issues).
Last 2 filters had a lot of metal flakes, but he was having other issues (clogged cats, bad coils, poor oil change history), next oil change I will cut it open and see if it is any better.
It runs fine now though. Body is fine. There is a drivetrain whine (I think it is the carrier bearing for the driveshaft, a whole 'nother issue).
I guess I need to find out how much longer he does plan on keeping it.
Cost is part of the problem.

I had looked at "Detroit Axle" brand parts, and I can get most all front end parts for around $300.

If he only plans on keeping it for another year or 2, I may just do this.

Originally Posted By: dogememe

Having and using are two different things.

That is my concern.
F150 does not come from factory with grease zerks, so when it comes in for service, they won't even look.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Are you doing the work yourself? Motorcraft has a 2 year warranty, Moog is lifetime. Same deal with the struts, most strut makers like Monroe have a lifetime warranty and after 3-4 years I usually end up getting another free set. ...

Good point, did not think about the warranty.

For the struts I was going to get the Monroe Quickstrut, lots of good reviews on them on several F150 forums (unless I do the Detroit Axle route).

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Walmart TLE will grease them for you for under $5. Last item under "additional services". Just watch them while they do the service.

https://www.walmart.com/cp/auto-services/1087266

Good to know. I could probably get him to do that if I don't service it for him.

Now the question is what grease do the use? LOL.

I have been using Green Grease on mine, but am almost out, need to decide what to use next.

Thanks.

Moog sucks, I went through 2 tie rod ends on an Ml500 in 6 months. Spend the extra and you won't need to waste your time when you have to do it the second time for a "warranty' repair.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Originally Posted By: Miller88
Different application, but I'm sorely disappointed with the Moog balljoints I put in the F-350. Motorcraft or bust.

Were they made in USA Problem Solvers, or something else?

I don't know what product line but the box said made in USA. They are super tight. I have about 5000 miles on them now and the steering wheel almost returns to center.

Super, super tight.

I hate to even say this but if cost is a major concern he probably should think about a vehicle that is cheaper to operate then use the money saved on a maintenance fund. Ill admit I dont understand the fascination with pickup trucks, but one reason I dont have one is the fact they are expensive to buy and expensive to operate.

I would go with the OEM parts. I do on my vehicles most of the time, generally its worth it in most cases.

MOOG may have a lifetime warranty but do you really want to change them out again?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trav
Look at these from TRW, good stuff and LFL. Check the part# to make sure it fits the 2004

https://www.amazon.com/TRW-Automotive-JBJ1035-Premium-Joint/dp/B00T9XZZFO/ref=au_as_r?_encoding=UTF8&Make=Ford%7C54&Model=F-150%7C666&Year=2004%7C2004&ie=UTF8&n=15684181&newVehicle=1&s=automotive&vehicleId=1&vehicleType=automotive

This Is How It's Done:
Amazon LINK

And You Can Even Add Color:
Amazon LINK

If you replace them with greaseable units, don't let anybody else grease them but yourself. Then make sure you use good grease.
Too many places use the cheapest grease available, grease that's not suitable for extreme pressure applications.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

This Is How It's Done:
Amazon LINK

And You Can Even Add Color:
Amazon LINK

The link works fine. You have too much time to worry about things that amount to nothing.
crazy2.gif

The link works fine. You have too much time to worry about things that amount to nothing.
crazy2.gif

Your posting skills, or the lack thereof, is causing a side scroll bar for the entire thread.
For those of us who are using a 15 inch notebook screen, that can be an inconvenience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back