Removing blade adaptor hub.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanted to put a new belt on my old 21" exmark mower and to do this you have to remove the blade, slide the hub off and then remove the crankshaft protector. Takes all of three minutes to do. I don't know if the key sheared or if it's just rusted on, but I used a 2 jaw puller and all that did was bend the the adaptor hub. Opinions? I was just trying to put a new belt on it so I could sell it. This mower is old and dirty, but still works good.

Any ideas on how to remove it? I don't know if that's something you want to apply heat to.

If you have access to an air compressor, an air chisel will get it off. You don't cut the blade adapter, you use a blunt chisel attachment using some force from the side and down/away from the engine, and just "vibrate" it off. Fast and easy.

Last edited:
Sounds like you need some heat. I'd heat up the outside of it (part that goes around the crankshaft) and also spray it with some penetrating oil like Kroil, PB Blaster, or a 50/50 mix of acetone and ATF. Then try the puller.

I think I'm going to cut off the flat flange so I can get the crankshaft protector off and get more access.

Yep, I'd try some good penetrating oil, heat or I like the air chisel idea too.

Worst case you can slit it with a cutoff wheel and pop it off.

I have an air chisel, the problem is that crankshaft protector only allowed me to chisel the very end where the blade attaches. So if I cut that flimsy flat part off I can get more access to hit it with the chisel. Or maybe then I can hook the puller to the shaft instead which is more solid.

Originally Posted By: JTK

Worst case you can slit it with a cutoff wheel and pop it off.

Yep.

As I get older, I hate fighting with stuff.

Cut a slit, pop old junk one off, replace with new adapter hub.

Maybe. It was $1100.00 When new. I'm hoping to get $150 for it with a new belt. $75 as is.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
I have an air chisel, the problem is that crankshaft protector only allowed me to chisel the very end where the blade attaches. So if I cut that flimsy flat part off I can get more access to hit it with the chisel. Or maybe then I can hook the puller to the shaft instead which is more solid.

I have done a thousand of these! Just hit the side of it with the air chisel. No heat. Don't cut the flange off, it will make the removal more difficult. I promise you that it will come off.

Last edited:
The only part I can access is the flange and I'd rather not put the air hammer on that part.i need to take the crankshaft protector off to hit it closer to the sump. I'm afraid I'll bend it if I just hammer at the other side.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
The only part I can access is the flange and I'd rather not put the air hammer on that part.i need to take the crankshaft protector off to hit it closer to the sump. I'm afraid I'll bend it if I just hammer at the other side.

I know it is difficult to get to it with a crankshaft protector, but as long as you use a blunt fork-type bit in the air hammer you wont damage the blade mounting flange. You can also use a ball joint separator in the air hammer. Either way, the vibration of the air hammer will get it off of the shaft. I have done this a thousand times, trust me, it will work. Give it a try.

Last edited:
I have always used a pitman arm puller. It grabs it close to the crank so nothing will bend. Give it a squirt of PB Blaster first. Don't go neandrathal and start wacking on it like it was suggested, that's not too smart.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back