PDX1 And Underwood .357 Magnum Ammo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My son just recently bought me an early Christmas present. It's a Taurus M66, 7 Round, SS, 4" barrel, .357 Magnum.
It's been MANY years since I have owned a .357 Magnum, early 90's. It was a Ruger SP101, 2.25" barrel. I used Federal HYDRA-SHOK as my personal defense round. I don't remember the grain though.
When I did a Google search on current .357 Magnum personal defense ammo, I couldn't believe that the HYDRA-SHOK was STILL a go to round!
There was a chart out by LUCKY GUNNER about research on all of the most popular .38 SPL and .357 Magnum ammo. Long story short, I bought a box of each, Winchester 125 gr. PDX1 and Underwood 158 gr. Gold Dot. According to the ballistic gel testing, I sure wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of EITHER of this ammo!
What brand .357 Magnum do you own, and your personal defense ammo?

https://youtu.be/vjAzt-yO3e0
https://youtu.be/gO9CNI8qV2I

The great thing about a large .357 mag is that it is at a power threshold that most hand-gun calibers cannot attain.
Cheap green-box Remington, in 110 grain and 125 grain Semi-jacketed Hollow Point varieties, are capable of damage premium rounds of other calibers can only dream of.
Yes this is the round our fathers and grandfathers carried. It's still a good one from all the tests I have seen.

There's a reason I keep a 6" barrel Ruger Security Six next to my bedside.

Currently I have it stoked with 125 Grain Speer Gold Dot.
However I also have some 158 grain Hydra-shok's in speed loaders. It's good stuff too.

Hard to go wrong with .357

This is what I'm currently using to poke holes in paper targets. I bought it online from ACADEMY SPORTING GOODS.
FREE SHIPPING.

2mo1645.jpg

I have 3, .357 Magnum handguns. 2 Smith & Wesson 686's. Both are pre lock models purchased in the mid 80's. A 6" square butt that my wife bought me while we were dating. And a 2-1/2" round butt model I purchased shortly afterward. I also have a Ruger Blackhawk in .357 Magnum with a 6" barrel. The .357 Magnum is one of the finest self defense cartridges ever made. It's powerful, yet easy to control with a bit of practice. The simplicity of a double action revolver is also a benefit in a stressful situation. No buttons, safeties, or levers to contend with. Simply point and shoot. These are both Smiths. I love the red ramp / white outline adjustable sights. I qualified for my Arizona CCW back in 1996 with the 2-1/2" Model.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
This is what I'm currently using to poke holes in paper targets. I bought it online from ACADEMY SPORTING GOODS.
FREE SHIPPING.

2mo1645.jpg

Made by Prvi Partizan (PPU) for Academy under their Monarch brand. I have shot thousands of rounds of PPU in my semi-auto pistols and it always goes bang.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Made by Prvi Partizan (PPU) for Academy under their Monarch brand. I have shot thousands of rounds of PPU in my semi-auto pistols and it always goes bang.

I have as well. PPU is good stuff. And the brass holds up well to several reloadings. In fact the .300 Win. Mag. brass is some of the best and longest lasting brass in that caliber I've ever reloaded. And the PPU .300 Win. Mag. factory ammo is almost cheaper than buying new brass. The only PPU stuff that is really anemic is the 8 X57 MM Mauser ammo. But there is good reason for that, because of the greatly varying bore diameters in those Mil-Surp rifles. It would be too dangerous if the factory loaded it near, or at the redline.

Average sound level on .357 round is 164-165 db - similar to swat team stun grenade sound level. Shooting a hot load .357 indoors in a closed space will definitely hurt any intruder, assuming you hit intruder and not family member or neighbor thru a wall due to over penetration. Will also render you deaf for several hours after the first round, somewhat blind from huge muzzle flash if dark, and possible permanent damage to your hearing (especially if multiple shots fired). 138 grain jacketed hollow points in .38 is a better in-house defense round.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: billt460
I have 3, .357 Magnum handguns. 2 Smith & Wesson 686's. Both are pre lock models purchased in the mid 80's. A 6" square butt that my wife bought me while we were dating. And a 2-1/2" round butt model I purchased shortly afterward. I also have a Ruger Blackhawk in .357 Magnum with a 6" barrel. The .357 Magnum is one of the finest self defense cartridges ever made. It's powerful, yet easy to control with a bit of practice. The simplicity of a double action revolver is also a benefit in a stressful situation. No buttons, safeties, or levers to contend with. Simply point and shoot. These are both Smiths. I love the red ramp / white outline adjustable sights. I qualified for my Arizona CCW back in 1996 with the 2-1/2" Model.

Man, those are some beauties!
I have owned several brands of .357 Magnums & .38 Spl's, but never a S&W brand. They are too rich for my wallet. Most of mine were Rugers. I have owned a few Security Sixes and SP101's. I have also owned a Rossi .357 Magnum.
This is my 1st Taurus in any kind of firearm. They state the finish is Matte SS. I wonder if it can be polished to the same finish as your S&W's?

1g6c05.jpg

I have .38's on my .357. .357 ammo is stupid expensive here. I hope I dont ever have to resort to stopping an intruder but if I do my Maveric 88 is my go to gun.

Last edited:
I use Underwood as the majority of my ammo. It is priced decently compared to PREMIUM self defense ammo, particularly if you wait on sales, and it is smokin' hot(and doesn't seem to be over pressure). Plus it comes in different bullets for different applications.

Last edited:
That Taurus is very nice. I'd keep it satin. Taurus has come a long way since back in the day. They make first class stuff now. I would not mind having that one myself
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
That Taurus is very nice. I'd keep it satin. Taurus has come a long way since back in the day. They make first class stuff now. I would not mind having that one myself
laugh.gif

I would not say first rate, but solid guns providing they don't have any issues in the first few boxes of ammo.

As for polishing, you sure can take it to a high luster using elbow grease and mothers mag and aluminum polish.

Originally Posted By: cashmoney
Average sound level on .357 round is 164-165 db - similar to swat team stun grenade sound level. Shooting a hot load .357 indoors in a closed space will definitely hurt any intruder, assuming you hit intruder and not family member or neighbor thru a wall due to over penetration. Will also render you deaf for several hours after the first round, somewhat blind from huge muzzle flash if dark, and possible permanent damage to your hearing (especially if multiple shots fired). 138 grain jacketed hollow points in .38 is a better in-house defense round.

I'm the self appointed BITOG ballistics expert (I do have a lot of experience in the area, would be a court certified ballistics expert, except I changed career paths which killed that) and I agree with everything cashmoney said.

.357 Mag is just so darn loud. Not something I would want to contend with in an enclosed bedroom.

My favorite loads for a 4 inch revolver, for home defense, would be, in no particular order (based on real world testing, done by me, in gel and pig carcasses):

1) Remington 158 +p 38 special FBI load
2) Remington Golden Sabre 38 special 125 +p
3) Speer Gold Dot 38 special 125 +p
4) Speer Gold Dot 38 special 135 +p
5) Winchester PDX1 38 special 130+p
6) Winchester Ranger bonded 38 special 130+p

It is my personal, professional opinion, that the increased power of .357 does not outweigh its negatives, which is blast/noise, slower followup shots (increased split times). Your mileage may vary.

And just one final reminder, that a 7 shot handgun is a backup weapon, and should not be a primary home defense weapon in most cases.

I have weapons available all over my bedroom
smile.gif
, but the nearest one is a 1977 Smith 67 that just had the Performance Center Combat Revolver Package done this year. It is an ex-NJ police revolver I bought from the Navy Arms Company store in Martinsburg, WV in 1993. I don't know how many rounds it had through it before me, but it was well kept. I have put easily 10K rounds through it. It is now stoked with Underwood 125 gr Gold Dots at 1200 fps. If I could only have one handgun, this would probably be it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back