Hot Tea

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's a good tasting hot tea? I was looking at them in the store tonight and there's jillions of them.
I'm looking for a tea that goes well with some kind of sweetener because I can't drink tea straight.

If you’re a man you get 20w50, if not 0w20..........:p

I like Earl Grey....but I’m British so.....

Choysa.

0204x.jpg

Check Stash teas online store, Merk. They sell Stash in stores, but that's generally in bags, and bagged tea is not even comparable to properly brewed loose tea. Their pricing is very good, too, significantly beating my grocery prices here. I've been buying from them for about twenty years. They have a nice Earl Grey, English Breakfast, Irish Breakfast, and so forth. They have some very good Darjeelings, too, but some of them can get pricey, of course.

Lipton green tea ... they make different flavors, and some are pretty good even without any sweetener.

Garak,
You mean there's some tea that doesn't come in a bag? How do you brew it? Put it in a coffee maker?

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
You mean there's some tea that doesn't come in a bag? How do you brew it? Put it in a coffee maker?

Z provided a link, but there are other things, too, from very cost effective to a bit more costly. Loose tea is far, far superior to bagged tea. Tea bags are filled with floor dustings, fannings. Loose tea is not even close. In addition to removable tea brewing spoons like Z linked, there are tea balls and other removable infusers, all likely under $5, so you can remove the tea before overbrewing occurs.

A Bodum tea press with stainless steel filter is around $30, and also prevents overbrewing because it is a press:

51P%2BIp6I6EL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

An Espro tea press is more, but is the king of presses, with absolutely no visible tea leaf fragments left behind, and is actually now available on the Stash Tea online store:

804048-Espro-P5-Glass-Tea-Press_large.jpg

I had a Bodum press with a plastic filter and it lasted about 20 years before the plastic started to get too brittle and things started to break. I got an Espro a number of months ago, and it's fantastic.

Merk,
this is my all time favourite...
kevin_rudd_twinings.jpg

Twinings Australian Afternoon Tea...here's the story.

Twinings had a competition, where they got prominent Australians to brew a tea in line with their favourite style.

They packaged them in 10 bag packs, put them in the shopping centres, and ran a competition, to see which sold the best, got most votes. The one who got the most votes was to get a three month production run, with 10% of the proceeds going to charity (RSPCA I think).

Anyway, the tea that won was this one, that was brewed by our former Prime Minister Kevin Rudd (not a fan of teh guy, but loved the tea)....it was so popular that the three month run turned into permanent on the shelves.

2014 when we went to the US to get married, I took a bunch of 10 packs over for gifts and personal consumption.

Tombstone Arizona, we went into the paintball shooting range (Ruger blackhawks IIRC with primers and paintball cartridges) - note, I had a neck wallet with our passports and cash, not enlarged liver.

The owner came over, and spotted the Aussies, and proclaimed himself also as Kevin Rudd, namesake of our former PM.

So I got to give Kevin Rudd, in Tombstone Arizona a 10 pack of tea bags that were brewed by Kevin Rudd Prime Minister of Australia.

Kevin Rudd took the photo.

(PM me an Addy, and I'll send you some)

030568.jpg

This is a good one...very dry and tanniny, great for those who like sugar in their tea.

Named after brewing tea in a "Billy".

You gotta do it right...

Loose leaf Earl Grey.

If you don't have a tea brewer, just put some loose tea in a mug and pour hot water over it. The leaves will eventually settle to the bottom so they are easy to avoid.

Yorkshire Red
Australian Afternoon
Irish Breakfast.

Quote:
You mean there's some tea that doesn't come in a bag? How do you brew it?

I'll give you a clue, starts with "tea" and ends with "pot", even the Mad Hatter had one.

Apart from modern ones and traditional English ones, don't forget your local China Town, they would have ample small china tea pots at a good price. Most have an inbuilt strainer, but pouring through a small hand held mesh strainer is more effective and very easy.

BTW no milk with Earl Grey, lemon only.

Drop by a Teavana store at your local mall and try what they have on offer. I prefer loose black tea and buy Lipton (no sugar, no milk).

I'm 1/2 Scot and have been enjoying tea for over a 1/2 century.

Get a tea strainer /infuser, add 1 rounded tsp of LOOSE whole leaf ASSAM BLACK" and pour boiling water over the tea and then put a lid on it for 10 mins. I like mine with a 1/4 tsp of Manuka honey sourced NZ/ Oceana. Most local honeys will kill the tea flavor.

We get our Black in bulk from Frontier Foods CO-OP online.

Teavana at the Mall ? - Mehh and pricey.

Later if you bore of the assam, add a pinch or more of a nice china green tips to add some bite.

Last edited:
I quit drinking coffee ten years ago and went to hot tea. I chased all different kinds, blends, etc... some I liked, some I didn't. Now the bride just buys regular, on sale, black and green teas. After this batch of black tea is gone, it will be nothing but caffeinated green tea in the AM and afternoon, and decaffeinated green tea in the PM from here on out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back