2012 Fusion 3.0 rattle for 2 seconds at startup

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello all! we have a 2012 fusion with the 3.0 engine. has about 85k on it. We got it used. Never had an issue at all. love the car. it is our first ford so I don't know much about them at all. Anyways, changed the oil on sunday, noticed yesterday (monday) there is a rattle/tick for about 2 seconds at a cold startup. never done that before. anyone know anything with these cars that causes that? makes me think of a GM 2.2 i had that did that and ended up being the timing chain tensioner. some points to make:

Changed the oil on sunday, 60's for the temp.

motorcraft 5-20 oil and MC filter

engine was 1.5 quarts low during change, didn't catch the filter dripping oil, looked like the gasket on the oil filter was giving out a little. nothing concerning except the low oil (yeah yeah should have checked it before, it's the wifes car)

Dropped down to the 20s and 30's for temp monday night

didn't notice the noise before monday, but it very well could have done it before. This is my wifes car and we work different shifts, so i'm not around the car very much.

again the noise is kinda like a rattle, lasts all of 2 seconds then is gone. Like i said i know nothing about these engines as it's our first ford so any help is appreciated, hoping someone knows about these 3.0L. It is not a injector tick or anything like that, it's a little louder and a little more of a rattle sound to it.

thanks in advance everyone!

Was it a long drain? The only time I ever got a low pressure light was when I let it drip for several hrs. If the rattle persists on later cold starts, change the filter. Also, I would check oil on a weekly basis, just to get an idea of consumption. Start up noise is little consequence if it goes away in a second or 3. It isn't optimal, but it isn't a mortal sound..yet

no, total oil change time was about 25 minutes. usually let it get to a needle sized stream the drip for a few minutes then put the plug back in.

usually do check the oil, been working overtime the last couple months so everything has been left on the back burner between the cars, house etc lol.

what issue would the filter cause? i've had good luck with these so far. i have another motorcraft filter in the garage.. should i try that? same filter, bought 2 because they were on sale

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
Swap out the oil filter with a better filter and see if the noise disappears

+1 It's almost always the filter anti-drain-back-valve (ADBV) that is not sealing well. With that few miles, it should still be pretty tight engine wise, so it almost has to be dry galleries from back flow...

I'd switch it up to 0W-20 at the next go round. A bit easier starts, and a bit more robust oil.

I'm partial to Napa Gold (WIX) filters for good ADBV and decent filtering, but Fram Ultra is nice too. Whatever works for you
smile.gif

should i just throw on the other motorcraft that i have? i can't imagine getting 2 bad filters in a row, considering if this is my issue, it's the first time i've ever had the problem

since when? 2 years ago reading this site purolators were good, reading up now everyone says motorcraft are good

really don't want a debate on which filter is better than the other.. just wondering if i should throw the other motorcraft on to see if the rattling goes away is all.

I'm running M1 AFE 0w-20 and a Fram ultra on my 2010 fusion with the same motor. 171k

Pick up a Fram tough guard and your startup noise should go away. I have 173k miles on mine and it runs great. Change the PCV valve with a new motorcraft valve and that should reduce oil consumption a bit

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Motorcraft filters are made by Purolator and they're a ticking time bomb for your car.

I have used MC filters many times over the last 50 yrs with zero issues.
To the op,if you are worried about the tick,since you have another filter just put it on.If the first was faulty I doubt your other one is.

I would try a different brand of filter like a Fram Ultra or a Wix just to see if it remedies the noise. If it does then you know the filter is the problem. If it doesn't then you know to look elsewhere.

As for Motorcraft (Purolator) filters the media has been tearing inside the can when people cut their filters open for inspection. This wasn't the case some years back and it is why folks are recommending against using them because you will have unfiltered oil circulating through the engine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Motorcraft filters are made by Purolator and they're a ticking time bomb for your car.

Still haven't seen any failed engines from this regarding your opinion. And again, I don't use Purolator or Purolator-manufactured filters, so don't try to call it fanboyism.

Let's stick to the facts. Yes, there have been documented failures on ADBVs and some torn pleats. There have been no engine failures or outrageous UOAs to show these cause immediate, catastrophic results from using these filters.

Don't like risking it? Go ahead and avoid them with your dollars. Eventually they will get the message and either change their practices or go out of business.
49.gif

OP, I'd try the other MC filter if it makes you feel better, or try another filter brand. Based on the numbers Ford produced these cars and engines in, there were/are likely millions of these on the road using MC filters successfully. Don't always be swayed by the alarmists here... MC has a long, proven record of working very well with just a couple problematic part numbers. You might see if your car has room for an upsized filter that should get you out of that PN if it is a problematic one. I run an FL-400S equivalent on my 2.5 Fusion even though it's specced for an FL-910S and it bumps oil capacity up to 5.5 quarts.

I have used MC filters since the 70's, never had an issue, until a year ago with an 820s on our Escape 3.0 with low oil pressure warning light after 1k miles. Switched it out for another 820s and problems went away. I rarely use MC any more but sometimes out of habit I throw one in the shopping cart.

Thanks all! Just started it since she drive it about an hour and a half ago and no noise.. I'll put the new filter on this afternoon and report back tomorrow morning on what I find.. that's the soonest I'll be able to cold start it.

Going with the MC filter right now... Will look into possible different filters next oil change, as I can't imagine id get 2 duds in a row if it is indeed the issue.

Could be two bad filters if they came off the line successively ...

That's the reason I suggested another brand. If they come from a whole nuther plant, the odds are less ...

A Supertech filter at Walmart will be fine. They are made by Wix and only about $3. Would be interesting to hear back on whether the filter was the culprit or not.

MC filters are known to have one of the best ADBVs out there. So rather than change brands and confuse things, you're going try a swap with the same filter. Then top off. Good idea. Maybe you got a bad one. And if it is save it, autopsy it on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back