question about inductive hour meters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So they make these inductive hour meters that are powered by the machines vibration. My question is if you tow the machine on a trailer with the road vibration cause the meter to log time?

I thought inductive meant take a wire and wrap it around the spark plug wire, but it isn't electrically connected to the spark plug wire. No, those won't increment via mechanical vibration.

Yes, any of the inductive ones I have seen have a lead that you wrap around the plug wire and when the inductive lead senses current through the plug wire it logs time.

Sorry about the confusion, bit my question still isn't answered. A guy told me the the vibration activated hour meters will activate even with road vibration. Is that true or was that guy wrong?

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Sorry about the confusion, bit my question still isn't answered. A guy told me the the vibration activated hour meters will activate even with road vibration. Is that true or was that guy wrong?

To answer your question inductive hour meters arent "powered by vibration" so no worries.

I would almost think they might be triggered by vibration. I put the Inductive type hour meters on my weed whackers and they work great.

What are you wanting to put the meter on?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01FZ100K...ords=hour+meter

This is the one I got. I like it because of the replaceable battery. Juse wrap the induction wire around the spark plug wire several times and your in business.

I have a pressure washer that's going to be 15 years old. I wish I had put an hour Meter on it when new. It's got a Honda GC160 engine, all original. It's on its 3rd pump. It hast to be getting up there in hours by now, it's had a lot of use between my family and friends.

Last edited:
Huh, I had never even heard of a vibration activated hour meter.
A quick google search, they do sell them, found one on Amazon and it lists "trailer, motors, machinery"
I'm thinking if they list them to work on trailers, road vibration would definitely activate them.
I think you'd have to stick with the inductive type if you haul your pressure washer in a car/truck or trailer very often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back