Canadian Problem #54

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: daves87rs
That doesn't sound like fun....

I live 40 minutes from the border, that's how I deal with it.
lol.gif

I remember when the Canadian dollar was worth more than the US dollar, but I think that was many many moons ago.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
I remember when the Canadian dollar was worth more than the US dollar, but I think that was many many moons ago.

Yup... Then we sold our souls...
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Fear not, the US Peso.... er... I mean dollar ... isn't quite what it used to be.

Shhhhh. China will hear you.
27.gif

I bought some ratchet style load straps tonight. They are made by Erickson and the neat thing about them is they spool up the excess strap length so they stay neat. Erickson is a Canadian company.

Strap price on Amazon.com (USA) $23. Strap price on Amazon.ca (CAN)$55 or $43.30 in US dollars. Why the extra $20 on the Canadian version of Amazon? Needless to say they are being shipped to our US office and I will grab them there...like a lot of things!

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Fear not, the US Peso.... er... I mean dollar ... isn't quite what it used to be.

+1 walk out of the grocery store with 4 bags in your hand and that is $100.00 .

Originally Posted By: PiperOne
I bought some ratchet style load straps tonight. They are made by Erickson and the neat thing about them is they spool up the excess strap length so they stay neat. Erickson is a Canadian company.

Strap price on Amazon.com (USA) $23. Strap price on Amazon.ca (CAN)$55 or $43.30 in US dollars. Why the extra $20 on the Canadian version of Amazon? Needless to say they are being shipped to our US office and I will grab them there...like a lot of things!

Most things I have noticed on Amazon are pricey! Those can be purchased for far less at different places, especially Princess Auto.

We get gouged on most things up here and there is no rhyme or reason for it other than we're just stupid enough to keep paying for it.

I remember watching a story on gas prices. The guy being interviewed, when asked why we pay so much more up here for it couldn't keep the grin off his face when he replied "because CDN"s will pay it"
mad.gif

Our gas price can fluctuate $0.30 USD / US gallon between morning/night. It's insane!
mad.gif

Last edited:

Amazon.ca is hit and miss...Some good deals, but often cheaper elsewhere

I add stuff to my cart on Amazon.ca and let it sit in the "Save for later" section. I'm convinced this lowers the price at some point. Anything I'm in a hurry for I will check multiple sites and then the U.S. pricing with conversion to see what I should be paying.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: irv

Most things I have noticed on Amazon are pricey! Those can be purchased for far less at different places, especially Princess Auto.

We get gouged on most things up here and there is no rhyme or reason for it other than we're just stupid enough to keep paying for it.

I remember watching a story on gas prices. The guy being interviewed, when asked why we pay so much more up here for it couldn't keep the grin off his face when he replied "because CDN"s will pay it"
mad.gif

I agree. Up here you need to watch the sales and only buy when its on sale.

For other items like tools etc, I check Kijiji to see if I can buy it used for cheaper.

So it looks like SMUGGLING is still a viable way to earn a living?

In the mid 1960's I remember the $Canadian being, what?, $1.23US.

FYI: One retail rate on the internet today is: $1US buys you $1.12Can.

In 1996 the $Canadian cost $0.67US. I bought a bicycle on sale in St-Bernard-de-Lacolle with pocket money.

Canada problem #54...is the Canadian tax system. Here in the USA sales tax is paid at the retail level. As a product goes through the manufacturing and distribution channels there is no sales tax.

Canada has a GST/HST tax which taxes a product or service (yes services are taxed too) each time it is sold at the wholesale level. So at any time the product goes through the manufacturing and distribution channels it gets dinged a tax at each sale..depending on the it province can be as high as 10%. Even government agencies pay/withhold the tax on anything they buy.

The Canadian end consumer ends up paying the inflated costs due to the tax system.

Originally Posted By: DB_Cooper

The Canadian end consumer ends up paying the inflated costs due to the tax system.

Well put DB, you see this clearer than most of our voters...and you're in Ga.

I build a number of electronic projects and what I find interesting is that many former hard-to-find electronic components are now made in Canada and have good prices.

Case in point: 5 Watt wirewound potentiometers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back