when one bring a car to the dealer for 1st oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
change, do they automatically do any updates to the computer?

Moms CRV is due for its first oil change. i told her to bring it to the dealer because they will do any updates to firmware while its there. this is just a guess on my part.

So in your experience do they plug the car in and update on the first oil change ?

I doubt it or at least wouldn't count on it. Is there an update available? If so, specifically request it. Otherwise the vehicle will likely go into the "quick oil change" queue.

Last edited:
I am not sure about Honda dealers but I would like to share my experiences on Nissan dealers. My first free oil change at the dealer (where I bought my car) is a rip-off; overfilled an inch above the maximum level of the dipstick so I suggest you to check the level before leaving. In terms of upgrading the software, I do not suggest to tell them doing it unless there are problems in your car. My Nissan Versa CVT fake-shifts after the software upgrade. The technicians told me that people complain about the CVT "not shifting" and Nissan released the firmware to make it fake-shift to satisfy retarded tyranny of the majority.

Just chimin' in here...

A competent service desk might enter a car's VIN on the correct system and/or could possibly do some skull work and see if there were any outstanding recalls or service campaigns. You'd call that "good service".

You're better off asking at he desk during regular business hours.

I just waited for a car's first oil change and it was early (7:30 AM). Nobody else was there...not the best time to ask about bulletins.

If it’s a 2017 CRV, there are a couple updates available to the ABS module and the driver assistance module. But the updates will not be done automatically.

At Nissan Dealers they do the "CVT updates" at the 20 dollar oil changes in the express lube, and their mutipoint inspection which did catch a leaking engine front cover.....

They are great on correcting recalls at oil changes. It is a safety thing afterall.

But they did try to sell me a 50 dollar tire rotation. So be smart. I cannot speak for Ford or GM/Chrysler, but a co-worker owns a GM product and the customer has to demand updates to be done.... I guess it's how the companies pay out for warranty work?

Last edited:
The Nissan dealership I take my Murano to checks automatically for any recalls or updates each time. A good service advisor should always do that.

If the update is lame and fulfills a legal requirement I figure they'll get you.

Like if VW updated their diesel firmware so your car ran worse.

In your case I would specifically ask. It will give you a chance to check out your dealer.

Wow $20 oil change is a big deal! I have visited 3 Nissan dealers and two of them are doing underachieving work while charging a premium. I can now sleep better as my current dealer charges reasonably and does satisfactory work. I love my Nissan Versa. But Nissan needs to address the issues that some of the dealerships are retarded. And I dont like the new Xtronic fake-shift on CVT
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Recalls will show up on a warranty report that should be attached to every RO. Module updates not always.

That's how it is for us. Recalls always show up, and I think some things that are a widespread issue but not a safety recall, but not every little update unless there is a specific complaint.

Probably most vehicles on the road have updates available for them, but most are never done unless there is a specific complaint. A member here updated my 2002 Ranger in 2012, and if I remember right there were around 12 updates available.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Recalls will show up on a warranty report that should be attached to every RO. Module updates not always.

That's how it is for us. Recalls always show up, and I think some things that are a widespread issue but not a safety recall, but not every little update unless there is a specific complaint.

Probably most vehicles on the road have updates available for them, but most are never done unless there is a specific complaint. A member here updated my 2002 Ranger in 2012, and if I remember right there were around 12 updates available.

I hooked my Mustang up to an IDS at work on a Saturday not long after I bought it and did a bunch of updates. I need to do it again at some point. Saturdays are the best way to do it because there aren't as many people working so the server doesn't lag. Sometimes I swear Ford's server is an old Packard Bell 133mhz Pentium tower in the corner of the headquarters in Dearborn.

I remember when a dealer would ask you back in say 30 days for a checkup to make sure everything was tight, no leaks, and to correct anything the customer had noted like loose trim or frayed carpet. I don’t think they do that anymore. Dealers have been cutting costs wherever they can and try to drum up business with add ons. Since 2008, the climate at dealerships changed quite a bit. Most are part of a bigger group.

I always try to have a good relationship with the service advisor if possible. That may spell the difference between getting the extra service done or not.

Originally Posted By: johnchui1984
I am not sure about Honda dealers but I would like to share my experiences on Nissan dealers. My first free oil change at the dealer (where I bought my car) is a rip-off; overfilled an inch above the maximum level of the dipstick so I suggest you to check the level before leaving.
Very true. The 2018 Chevy Equinox 1.5L engines (and others...) take forever for oil to drain to the pain. Quick-lube (the only kind really) techniques don't get all the oil out. Then, they put too much in cuz they don't know any better. ... I will ask my dealership what special procedures they use. Will they wait 2 hours for the Equinox oil to drain? Doubt it, right?!! Or, alternatively, they could just put in less quarts, knowing they aren't getting it all to drain out, meaning at least the oil is at the right full-level (not overfilled), which means they have a quart or two of used oil still in the engine.... In our own garage, doing our own oil change, means we can wait an hour or two for it all to drain out, but not at dealerships.

Reference story to illustrate:
https://www.edmunds.com/ford/f-150/2015/...s-you-wait.html

Originally Posted By: johnchui1984
In terms of upgrading the software, I do not suggest to tell them doing it unless there are problems in your car. My Nissan Versa CVT fake-shifts after the software upgrade. The technicians told me that people complain about the CVT "not shifting" and Nissan released the firmware to make it fake-shift to satisfy retarded tyranny of the majority.
Interesting. I've often heard many people are nostalgic for old-style shifting. Some have called it "motor boating", like the propeller stall condition boats have, yet this is a false analogy. I like the smooth, continuous optimality a CVT gives, not fake shifting. Silly to get fake shifting.

Modern engines have thinner piston rings for efficiency reasons but tend to consume more oil as a result. The extra 1/8th of an inch that this adds to the level in 15 minutes is not significant and no shop will waste their time on this. This was written for owners who check their own oil in hopes of reducing complaints of oil consumption and warranty work.

My dealer automatically checks for any open service action/campaign or recalls when a vehicle is checked in. Its almost odd now to get an RO without module upgrade on it. I speak from a KIA techs perspective ,so other brands might be way different.

What in the world do dealers say to make people think they are the end all, be all service place for a vehicle?

IME, they are THE WORST.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back