Harbor Freight Voltmeter Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my cheap/free HF voltmeter was working fine until last night. Today, I turned it on and display is all wonky and very dim, thought it's a battery.

Tried 2 different new batteries, but no luck. Has anyone experienced anything similar?

Yes, I can get a new one for free and do have a spare one too. But I rather not trash it if it'll work after a battery or some other minor fix.

Thanks for the advice and help.

I got a couple of those, They break even if you don’t use them,,,. I’ve been happy with a $3x.xx craftsman I bought about 4 years ago

Its porobably a solder joint or connector that is loose. Open it up and wiggle the wires and see if t coes back.

Fluke eliminates the issues hands down. Safety alone makes them worth the price.

Just figured it out, one of the small screw for PCB was loose, tightened it up and Viola!
thumbsup2.gif

Thanks all for the help.

Fluke or Megger are pretty good. The free Harbor Freight meter is one step above running a wire between a lightbulb and a rusty screwdriver. It's actually pretty good for what it is, but I wouldn't trust it.

Get one of their better ones. I got one of theirs that can measure Hz and capacitor and temp in addition to voltage/ohms.

You depend on these things to work. Who wants a piece of [censored] that may or may not work at any given point in time.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Small hijack here....Anybody ever use the transistor socket? I assume you need leads to connect the contacts to the correct socket.

You can use ohms to test a transistor. Like testing two diodes. It's basic test however.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I have tested capacitors for my well pump and the 60 Hz of my generator. Those features come in handy.

Thank you, can you please share a link for it or a model number?

I think I have 1/2 dozen of those free HF multi-meters. All still working except one that I smoked the Ohms function on by putting 115 VAC across it.
lol.gif
Still works on all the other functions though.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
I think I have 1/2 dozen of those free HF multi-meters. All still working except one that I smoked the Ohms function on by putting 115 VAC across it.
lol.gif

That's hilarious! Lol

Originally Posted By: maverickfhs
lol.gif

That's hilarious! Lol

Whenever I pick one of those up I blacken in the little "dot" on the switch handle with a Sharpie pen so it's easier to see what function it's set too. Might save the Ohms function down the line.
smile.gif

Ive got a few of the free ones. They do go funny after a while - D.C. Readings are all over the place, very noisy, inaccurate.

Originally Posted By: maverickfhs
lol.gif

That's hilarious! Lol

Now I want to try it. lol

First HF one had a motherboard that was broken in two pieces. Didn't want to return a free item, harvested the battery and the leads off of it. Primarily use my Gardner Bender, but the three HF units I've acquired since have been fine.

Those meters are great. I took it apart and used some parts to fix my old Fluke meter. The conductive foam strip stuff that connect the board to the LCD and buttons, battery and leads are usable and free! The complete HF meter is pretty much junk. It is more like an estimator than a meter.

I think they're great for testing batteries and real basic stuff.

Also like them to show my kids how to use them. I know I've let the smoke out of one the same way listed above. Poof!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back