Want To Buy A CMP 1911? Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got this E-Mail from them. I thought about getting one. But not any longer. They're making it far too great of a PITA. It's a 1911 for God's sake. It was easier purchasing the house I'm living in. The CMP is far too ridden with regulations for what they're offering. And I'm sure the prices will be no bargain either. Especially when you consider all the new 1911's that are out there from some very good companies. History isn't worth that much. Especially in today's economy. And there are plenty of WW II, "battle proven" 1911's out there, without so much nonsense attached to purchasing them.

Anyway, if you still want one, here is what you're in for.... If and when they get any.

To all CMP constituents:

The CMP Board of Directors has discussed at length how the sales of 1911s would be handled, if the CMP were to ever receive them from the United States Army.

Some preliminary decisions further clarified:

1.) Decisions concerning the grade and pricing of the 1911s will not be made until inspection has occurred of a substantial quantity which will take an estimated 150 days post receipt.

2.) All laws pertaining to the sale of 1911s by CMP will be strictly obeyed.

3.) Potential purchasers will have to provide to CMP a new set of documents exhibiting: 1) proof of U.S. Citizenship, 2) proof of membership in a CMP affiliated club, 3) proof of participation in a marksmanship activity, 4) a new form 2A with notary, 5) a signed copy of the 01 Federal Firearms License in which the 1911 will be transferred to.

4.) A NICS background check will be performed by CMP on the customer to assure the customer is eligible to purchase prior to shipment to the FFL licensed dealer. The customer must receive a "proceed" from NICS prior to shipment of the pistol to the FFL licensed dealer.

5.) The CMP customer will be required to complete a form 4473 in person at the FFL dealers place of business, successfully passing a NICS check performed by the FFL holder, before the pistol can be transferred. This is a second NICS check performed on the customer.
Qualified CMP customer will only be allowed to purchase one 1911 per calendar year.

6.) No 1911s available in the CMP stores, or on line, only mail order sales.

7.) CMP will set the date in which it will accept orders for the 1911s. The date will be posted to the world.
Orders will only be accepted via mail order delivery.

8.) Orders will only be accepted post marked on the date or after, no early orders.

9.) Once CMP receives 10,000 orders, customer names will be loaded into the Random Number Generator.

10.) The Random Number Generator will provide a list of names in sequence order through a random picking process to CMP.
Customers will be contacted in the sequence provided by the Random Number Generator.

11.) When the customer is contacted a list of 1911 grades and pricing options that are available will be offered for selection of one.

12.) As CMP proceeds down the sequenced list less grade and pricing options will be available. Again, this done completely random.

13.) Note: 1911 type pistols purchased from CMP cannot be transferred to 03 FFL (curio and relic) license. BATF and the United States Army prefer the second background check be performed by a "store front" FFL dealer. Each customer purchasing a 1911 type pistol from CMP will be subjected to two NICS background checks, one performed by CMP and the other performed by the FFL dealer the pistol is being shipped to.

Mark Johnson
Chief Operating Officer
Civilian Marksmanship Program
www.thecmp.org

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Number 1 how much are they?

You can buy a pretty nice Kimber used for $800 or a little less.

They haven't announced any prices as of yet. But you're correct. Nice 1911 pistols are a dime a dozen. And at very good prices like most other guns today. And nothing from the CMP ever appears to be much of a bargain. So my guess is you'll be able to buy a much nicer 1911 a whole lot cheaper and easier. In fact, I don't see how they could make the purchase any more complicated. People should just pass it up, and let them know why. Watch how fast they'll streamline the purchases if they're not getting any. The CMP is, after all, a business.

billt, After visiting their site several times the last few weeks I totally agree. I have been looking for a M1 30 cal carbine and realized I would probably never get one from CMP with with all their “restrictive rules and regulations” if they ever even get any more at all. I get the feeling they think they’re doing you a favor if you get on their waiting list and are able to buy a gun from them. Like you said, there have been millions of the guns they’re selling made and they’re not that hard to find with a little patience without having to jump through the CMP hoops. The vast majority of the stuff they sell has already been through a Depot so it’s not like they have the market cornered on originality.

Originally Posted By: billt460
And there are plenty of WW II, "battle proven" 1911's out there, without so much nonsense attached to purchasing them.

Did you try to buy a nice one lately? You might just be surprised. You can find arsenal rebuilds out there but what's the point..not a whole lot of collector value and you can buy a modern 1911 for about the same price.

Last edited:
From what I've been hearing, the price on a lot of these are going to be in the $1,000.00 to $1,200.00 range. That is simply ridiculous for what amounts to a well beat up G.I. Model 1911. You can buy a new Colt Gold Cup for that price if you shop around a bit. A BRAND NEW G.I. Model can be had from Rock Island Armory for less than half of that. From Springfield Armory for just slightly more. And you are getting a brand new, fully warrantied pistol. If those prices are factual, the CMP is way out of line on these things. I can't imagine anyone with any firearms knowledge and or common sense paying that much for one.

Originally Posted By: Al
Did you try to buy a nice one lately? You might just be surprised. You can find arsenal rebuilds out there but what's the point..not a whole lot of collector value and you can buy a modern 1911 for about the same price.

I can't remember the last time I went to a gun show, where there weren't a coaster wagon full of beat up 1911's for sale. And I doubt that 95% of these things the CMP is moving are anything special. And any that are will be priced to the Moon.

The CMP Garands are still a bargain. Certified, authentic, and $730. When you see them for $1,800 at Cabela’s - with no muzzle/barrel wear indicated, the CMP is a screaming deal.

This 1911 purchase paperwork is a huge PITA, but I plan to do it anyway. I want a former GI pistol, to go with my SA 1911 (Range Officer, .45 ACP - a gift from my lovely bride) and my Colt 1911 (Competition, .38 Super).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Al

I can't remember the last time I went to a gun show, where there weren't a coaster wagon full of beat up 1911's for sale. And I doubt that 95% of these things the CMP is moving are anything special. And any that are will be priced to the Moon.

Yes if you got to pick out the one you wanted in person and be able to inspect them we may be talking another game but you get what ever they send you. I'm not buying any gun under those guidelines.

My guess is there will be a few gems among the lot, but the vast majority will probably rattle like a can of Krylon and be mostly shot out. They will have historical value, but the dollar amount you assign to that will be up to you.

Personally I would rather just get one that left service long before the switch to the M9 and was taken care of...or just get a nice shooter that is in the style of the old GI guns from Auto Ordnance. Or just build one yourself if you are handy...Caspian even makes the pre A1 frames for a WW1 era build.

It is somewhat assuring that given so many hoops, that only serious buyers will pick these up. If history is worth anything, then the last thing I want is for one of these to end up used in a drug deal and then destroyed by Baltimore PD after the perp goes to jail.

But GI model 1911s are.. so basic.. not a fan.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Number 1 how much are they?

You can buy a pretty nice Kimber used for $800 or a little less.

They stated they are looking for around $1,000. It depends on how each firearm's condition is rated.

People are buying these not for capability, but because they were GI.

For me personally, I think when purchasing a well used, "historical" firearm, self inspection is an absolute must. Especially when handing over that much money. The CMP refuses to allow this, even if you were willing to make the trip to Anniston to do it. That, combined with having to fill out more forms, and produce more paperwork than you would at tax time if you owned 4 businesses, is simply not worth it. And let's be honest, how much actual "historical significance" can there be attached to these things? They were manufactured for the government by the boxcar load. By God knows how many outfits. Of which only a few are worth anything. Keep in mind the U.S. Government procured right around 2.7 million of these things in military contracts during its service life. That would make them about as rare today as a circulating solid copper penny.

And the criteria and paperwork is simply silly. 2 NICS, really? No C&R sales, really? I've never had a NICS, ever. Arizona is one of the states where a Concealed Carry allows you to bypass the NICS. And rightfully so. The FBI background check you must pass for a CCW, is far more stringent than that silly, "PROCEED / DELAYED / DENIED" Instacheck system, that's about as dependable as an out of time Yugo with low compression. I've had CCW in Arizona since 1996.

Add this all up, and it's just too many hoops to jump through for what amounts to a high dollar, grab bag purchase that you as the end consumer have zero control over. All coupled with a long wait time, that could easily end with a lot of disappointment when you open the box. That's a costly game with lousy odds that I have no interest in playing.

Gun shows have tables full of the very guns CMP is selling, plus you can inspect them and decide. I looked at and handled 5 M1 carbines at a show a couple of weeks ago. I'll find a nice one without having to go through the hassle of CMP.

Originally Posted By: Garak
How many billable hours did a lawyer make for that mess of conditions?

And don't forget about the, "Random Number Generators". What are they going to do, run this like a bingo parlor at the retirement home? Who comes up with this silly nonsense?

I'd been thinking about joining GSSF just to be able to pick up one of these 1911s (still might join GSSF for fun). I was hoping for a reasonable price on a shootable firearm with some history (maybe an M9/92FS), but that sure is a lot of hoops to jump through.

I'm far from a 1911 connoisseur, so maybe I'll just pick up a Ruger SR1911 10mm instead.

My guess is, though, the CMP 1911s will still sell well.

i find it more than a tad insulting that cmp won’t allow an atf c&r license for a purchase.

And don't forget about the, "Random Number Generators". What are they going to do, run this like a bingo parlor at the retirement home? Who comes up with this silly nonsense?

By the time you are down with all their hoops and nonsense, you could build a time machine and get one brand new.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak

By the time you are down with all their hoops and nonsense, you could build a time machine and get one brand new.
wink.gif

Or just wait for Colt to make some more. The WWII replica/repro's were ill thought out and a flop, but they learned and the market liked the WWI reproduction guns enough for two separate runs. I'm happy with mine.

They probably learned enough to get a WWII right, if they did it again. I would ( well, did/do ) prefer a mostly accurate brand new WWI repro to a beat up rattle trap, but I understand the provenance issue could be more important to others. For a shooter, I just use an RIA ....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back