New Pennzoil DEXOS1 Gen 2 5W30 Fill

Status
Not open for further replies.
WM had just got the above new oil in , so I grabbed a jug for the Sonata DI :
Out : M1 10W30
In : PPPP DEXOS1 Gen 2 5W30

Engine feels smooth , sounds quiet and runs free after the new fill and gas mileage is maybe .2 MPG better (almost the same as M1 10W30 which is a thin 30 weight). Could be new oil change placebo effect - but happy to report my Hyundai 2.4L DI engine appears to like this new Gen 2 oil just fine ... Will run a 5K OCI then test to see how this new oil and engine are working together .

Excellent! Glad you found something to your liking. Placebo or not, your satisfaction is the end goal.

It's not surprising that it 'runs free' and gets slightly better MPGs since it's viscosity is just slightly above a 5w20 (@ 9.62 Cst @100*C).

Originally Posted By: pbm
It's not surprising that it 'runs free' and gets slightly better MPGs since it's viscosity is just slightly above a 5w20 (@ 9.62 Cst @100*C).

Yeah, it is interesting that the PPPP 5W30 is so much thinner than M1 5W30 (11 cSt) and the AP version (11.7) at 100C. The Pennzoil gold 5W30 is up there with the AP at 11.7 cSt.
I just looked up the PPPP 0W20 I put in my daughter's car and it is 8.6 cSt at 100C, I think actually on the upper end of the band for a 20. Not a huge viscosity difference between the PPPP 0W20 and 5W30 at 100C.

I like the fact that it not only carries the D1G2 certificate but also HTO-06. For a 0w-20 that is uncommon.

Tasks a while for the add DP to change over. Give us some impressions after 700 miles.

This is my typ changeover impressions:

0-50 miles: Fantastic, smooth,

100-300 miles: terrible, rough

500 miles on: not Bad. Half decent.

4000-5000 miles: this oil seems OK, should I change it yet?

I definitely agree with you,all Pennzoil and Quaker State products run crazy smooth and quiet in anything I've used them in. I've got QSUD in my Accord,I'll be using it in 10W30 weight in my 300ZX next oil change to compare it with the Pennzoil Platinum.

Will do ... *On paper , the PPPP DEXOS1 Gen 2 looks decent as a thinner 30W oil which meets A3/B4 specs which will help with fuel dilution. Not sure what the NOACK is but I'm thinking the D1 Gen 2 specs should be decent with lower desposits . The lower calcium will be of interest to the DI turbo crowd and lastly if the new Pennzoil formulation cleans and protects well (i.e. timing chains) then I will be happy ! **I will note that prior to the DEXOS 1 Gen 2 oils showing up - I had a good run on M1 10W30 as no issues to report (even though it is not a DEXOS rated oil).

Good to know thanks !
smile.gif

Any reason why you chose 5W-30 over 10W-30 ? Was it to get the DEXOS1 rating ?

I just asked this in the Virgin oil section. Looking for comments on what to do?

I see my local CDN Tire has PP and PUP on sale again, already. I assume they are trying to get rid of stock knowing the D1-G2 oil is coming soon.
The prices are good on the 5 Ltr jugs, $31.19 and $34.79 respectively, so I think I am going to stock up on some 5W-20 for my Ram Hemi and some 5W-30 for my wife's car.
I just have to make up my mind if I should go with the PUP or just the PP? Not that $3 dollars and change is a lot of money, I am thinking just sticking with the PP as I personally don't see a lot of difference between the 2? 8,000 to 10,000 km's OCI's on both. Which would you buy? (These are the older Dexos 1 rated oils, not the new D1-G2 oils)
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/pennzoil-platinum-synthetic-motor-oil-5-l-0289323p.html#srp
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/pennzoil-ultra-synthetic-oil-5-l-jug-0289360p.html#srp

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
... *On paper , the PPPP DEXOS1 Gen 2 looks decent as a thinner 30W oil which meets A3/B4 specs

I think you mean A5/B5

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Yeah, it is interesting that the PPPP 5W30 is so much thinner than M1 5W30 (11 cSt) and the AP version (11.7) at 100C. The Pennzoil gold 5W30 is up there with the AP at 11.7 cSt.

What's the difference in HTHS, though, 0.1, I would wager?

Originally Posted By: SR5
Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
... *On paper , the PPPP DEXOS1 Gen 2 looks decent as a thinner 30W oil which meets A3/B4 specs

I think you mean A5/B5

Yes, since dexos1 and A3/B4 would be mutually exclusive.

Yes , I wanted to specifically try the DEXOS 1 Gen 2 synthetic oil for grins - especially with winter coming . I had no complaints with the M1 10W30 in my 2.4L DI engine but around 26° degrees it hits a low temp parity with 5W (even though a 10W is good down to 0° degrees , I switched to 5W for slightly better start up protection) .
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Good to know thanks !
smile.gif

Any reason why you chose 5W-30 over 10W-30 ? Was it to get the DEXOS1 rating ?

Originally Posted By: Garak

I always wondered why 0w-20 M1 oils had a HTHS of 2.7 while everyone else was 2.6. Secret sauce or secret measurements?

Good question, the M1 5W30 AP's HTHS is way down at 3 despite the 100C viscosity. Very different from their 5W30 ESP, which is only a bit thicker than the AP at 100C (12 cSt) but has a much higher 3.58 HTHS.
Does anybody know HTHS for the Pennzoil 5W30 synths and blends?

Originally Posted By: PimTac
I always wondered why 0w-20 M1 oils had a HTHS of 2.7 while everyone else was 2.6. Secret sauce or secret measurements?

Still pretty close.
wink.gif

Virtus_Probi: With few exceptions, every ILSAC 5w-30 has an HTHS of 3.0 +/- 0.1. I ignore the KV. Mobil 1 ESP 5w-30 will have the elevated HTHS because it's ACEA C3, if I recall correctly.

With few exceptions, every ILSAC 5w-30 has an HTHS of 3.0 +/- 0.1.

Yes that is a typical HTHS value for most ILSAC 30 grade oils. Not many exceptions, but I like to keep an eye out for them.

Here is one,
Australian Castrol Edge 10W-30 (API SN, ACEA A5/B5, ILSAC GF-5)
Vis 100C = 10.47
TBN = 11.2
HTHS = 3.2

That is a decent HTHS and TBN for an ILSAC oil, I'm keen to give it a go, as my second ever ILSAC oil after this fill of M1 5W30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back