Dog Owners

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love dogs. I would not consider my life as satisfying without them. I own four of them. My wife loves them as much as I do. They can be a real chore (like kids), but what I get back from them makes it worth it.

BUT.......why is it that so many dog owners are highly inconsiderate of others?? I live outside the metro are of Seattle/Tacoma. My town is small with several blocks of older homes with sidewalks. Nearly every day I take two of my dogs for a walk around the neighborhood. This walk lasts up to an hour. While I'm on this walk, it never fails that no matter how hard I try to avoid homes with barking, growling, and jumping dogs....I run into them. What is the deal with some of you dog owners that thinks it's just fine to leave your dog alone, in your yard, while you go to work?? Do you people not realize that it's annoying and difficult for others to walk by without being loudly barked at? It's rude and makes it difficult for good dog owners to enjoy a walk. A dog IS NOT a tool to keep people out of your yard. It's a family pet and comes with responsibilities NOT to irritate others. Buy a freakin alarm if you are concerned about security. I have to avoid so many streets when I walk my dogs that it's starting to be almost not worth walking them. My dogs are on leash (of course) but sometimes they don't know what to do when some dog starts bashing into the fence next to the sidewalk trying to get at them. Some people don't even have a fence and their dogs will run out onto the sidewalk barking at my dogs. Typically, some disheveled looking owner will step out onto the porch and yell some obscenity at their dog (as though that fixes everything....until the next day).
The other thing is owners leaving dog poop everywhere! Are you people that do this just slobs or simply lazy? Have you ever heard of carrying plastic bags so that YOU can pick up after YOUR dog? This issue is what can give excuses for authorities to place more rules on dog owners. It's always the jerk owners like this that make others want more rules. Can you blame them?

I agree 110%. It's not fair to the dogs either. I only let mine sit outside if I'm out there with him or at least inside to where I can see/hear him.

We have an issue with a few dog owners in the surrounding neighborhoods. They walk their dogs (sometimes 2 or 3) on those extendable leashes, allowing the dog to go up to 15 feet away from the owner. I have come around a blind corner numerous times to a person on one side of the road, and a dog on the other. I stop, and the owner does not call their dog, they simply expect me to stop and wait as they walk around me.

When I walk my dog he is on a short leash, and I'm in full control. If a car comes around the corner, he hears it usually before I do and gets up onto the side of the road.

Then again, when I see how people manage their kids most of the time it doesn't surprise me how their dogs behave.

I know. I can’t take my dog out without being there since my backyard is not connected to my house. I have to hear dogs barking on both sides of my house because the neighbors leave their dogs out 24/7 and neither shuts up. My dog rarely barks thankfully and it’s annoying to have to hear other dogs. One of the owners just shouts at the dog from their back patio to be quiet but of course it won’t listen and she gives up. God forbid she actually walk across her yard to go get him. I also can’t walk my dog in the hood because nobody leashes their dogs. There are strays everywhere and I don’t want to risk a mean one fighting with mine. Thankfully I’m moving to a nice neighborhood and I hope I can actually walk my dog.

Maybe try to get your town council or whoever makes the laws there do something about it. It also isn't fair to people. What about an elderly person with a walker trying to get out for a walk in the fresh air? Should they not be allowed to use the public sidewalk for fear of a dog attack?
I walk my dog every morning at a state park with a beach trail. They nab leash violators once in awhile, $350 I believe. I pick up others dog poop and waste garbage every day. They have a doggie bag dispenser at points along the trail, Sometimes there is a big poop pile right in front of the dispenser with bags in it. Not all the time, and I suspect it is like one person out of a hundred.

Echo! Some people see dogs as part of their family, like myself. Other's see dogs as a tool! Funny story. Someone recently asked to rent my German Shepherd for $100.00 a day, if I would put her in his yard at night.

My response, "sorry, it's too cold at night and she would be alone. She stays with me inside." No amount of money can separate me from my best friend! She is my first GSD. They are incredibly intelligent. It's almost scary.

My neighbors on the other hand. Their dogs are in their yards night and day and always barking (help me help me). Unfortunately, as long as their are given food and water, there is nothing to be done. I believe it's cruel to leave a dog alone 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Dogs are our companions and make us complete.

I see poop everywhere. Especially on the hiking trails. Most people have no consideration for others.

I've always wondered about the word dog, spelled backwards! Lol

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Originally Posted By: Pajero
Echo! Some people see dogs as part of their family, like myself. Other's see dogs as a tool! Funny story. Someone recently asked to rent my German Shepherd for $100.00 a day, if I would put her in his yard at night.

My response, "sorry, it's too cold at night and she would be alone. She stays with me inside." No amount of money can separate me from my best friend! GSD are incredibly intelligent.

My neighbors on the other hand. Their dogs are in their yards night and day and always barking (help me help me). Unfortunately, as long as their are given food and water, there is nothing to be done. I believe it's cruel to leave a dog alone 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Dogs are our companions and make us complete.

I've always wondered about the word dog, spelled backwards! Lol

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Yeah man dogs are family! My dog sleeps next to my bed on his bed every night and since my wife is pregnant he has been sleeping on the hard floor next to her most nights. He follows me everywhere. I can’t go to the bathroom without him.

We seem to have very little issue with dogs left out, or deuces left on my lawn, but it helps that we're a smallish subdivision with A LOT of dog owners who walk their dogs and I'd surely get the stink-eye if I didn't have my roll of little blue bags and didn't clean up after the boys.

We do have a little Schnauzer named Fritz next door who has just about the most annoying bark ever, but my dogs love hearing him, because it means they can go out and play with him///they run the fence line.

I like dogs better than people, with very few exceptions.

I used to do face-to-face debt collection, and would bring my dog with me sometimes. He was a ferocious looking American Bulldog. I had a little pipsqueak wannabe pharmaceutical rep in East St Louis IL start peeling off $100 bills and offered to buy my dog for $1500. I declined.

This is cool....I see that my fellow BITOG members agree with my post. I was beginning to think that this sort of dog ownership was acceptable to the average Joe.
I sure wish there was some way to prevent people from being poor owners. These dogs deserve more and so does the general public.

In a rural area, having an outdoor farm dog makes alot of sense if its suitable and trained for the job. If the house is too close to the road though sometimes its hard to get the dog to leave people on the road alone. You could try just walking alone sometime and introduce yourself to the dogs so they know you're not a threat? Then bring your dog so they know its place.
Our dogs are tools/pets but we are a ways off the road and normally they are in the pasture with the goats so they don't bother anyone/anything that doesn't come into the area around the house and barn. They aren't bred to be house pets at all so I think they live far better than most dogs in a house, which aren't bred to be pets either and are waiting for people to come home all day.

That's why I like my brother's dog so much. He will in a chair and look outside at people going by and never bark at them. And this is along a busy walking path. When my mom visited them for a few weeks he didn't bark once. Now if someone knocks on the door a little too loud then that will get him going a little bit.

My doodle pups are too lazy to even pick their heads up when someone knocks at the door...during the day. If I don't crate them at night, they patrol the house and bark at ANYTHING that moves.

My sister had an enormous copper-colored Doberman that would sleep all day and patrol the first floor of the house at night. Big scary looking beastie, and one of the few dogs I've met that didn't like me. I only met him a couple of times and he took an instant dislike to me.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
In a rural area, having an outdoor farm dog makes alot of sense if its suitable and trained for the job. If the house is too close to the road though sometimes its hard to get the dog to leave people on the road alone. You could try just walking alone sometime and introduce yourself to the dogs so they know you're not a threat? Then bring your dog so they know its place.

On a farm I can definitely a reason to have a dog running around on your property. Not a big deal and that sort of situation doesn't normally have a negative effect on others.
I've tried just about everything to get along with these dogs. But since they are alone most of the time, they have developed poor behaviors that I am not able to fix. On one of the main streets in town, the homes back up to so that the back yards are long the sidewalk. A 6 foot high fence separates the sidewalk from the yards. But does that help any? Nope. These dogs on the other side hear me coming and start barking and bashing into the fence. You can even see where some fence boards have been broken from the dogs. Some are repaired....while others the dogs stick a snout out and growl/snap at my dogs as we walk past. It's really annoying! I get pretty ticked about it as I am just trying to have a relaxing walk. That's just one of the streets I walk on. Many more homes and areas that can be a real nerve wracking experience. I don't blame the dogs though...these moronic owners really need to get a clue of how they effect others right to just have a nice walk.

As a side note...this poor owner attitude is evening prevalent at dog parks around here as well. I used to go to them but after my dogs getting bitten twice and trampled once....I stopped going. There was always a couple of idiots with huge dogs like Rottweilers or rather angry ones such as pit-bulls. These owners never even bothered to train the dogs to behave. So...you can imagine what happens in an off-leash dog park. Total mayhem. So now all these off-leash parks are no-go places for me and my dogs as the troglodyte owners have completely ruined them.
Darn people.

Last edited:
I make sure my dogs are physically and mentally worn out...on days when we both work, they go to puppy camp and LOVE it. There can be up to 110 dogs there, and they are completely worn out when we pick them up. On days when we're around the house we either walk them, play fetch with them or take them to the dog park that the county operates.

https://www.greatparks.org/activities/dog-parks

A tired dog is a happy dog...

There are also good dog parks and NOT SO GOOD dog parks. The Doris Day Dog Park in Mt. Airy Forest can be a little iffy...lots of urban dogs and I always worry about whether the car will be there when it's time to leave. The Simmonds Family Dog Park tends to be a bunch of labs, doodles and other friendly dogs.

Last edited:
Our dog is an integral part of our family. He, too, likes to sleep in our beds. He is a 9 year old chocolate lab. Since he is a lab he loves being outside. Frequently he has ear infections because he rolls in the grass.

Recently, I was out for a walk and one of our neighbors wanted to "socialize" her 6 month old female German Shepard puppy. The dog began to attack my dog, and the owner has NO control. Luckily my dog is perfectly fine, but confused. That family has 2 older German Shepards that are barely contained by their link fence. This is not okay. But neither is my rude neighbor that our entire neighborhood hates. She has 6 Cocker Spaniels that she keeps in cages in her garage over night. She walks them frequently and be littles everyone during her walk. She has numerous "pick up after your dog" signs in her yard, but lets her dog [censored] in others yards frequently. Another guy walks his dog to other people's yards exclusively to let his dog poop in their yard. These are the people that give dogs and their owners bad names.

A donkey hole with dog or not with a dog is still a donkey hole and will always behave like a donkey hole. Leaving dog out for hours barking, not cleaning up after the dog, training and keeping an aggressive dog, all of it is par for the course with donkey hole behavior.

Pet and kids don't fall far from the character of the keepers. I've always thought that pets reflect the character of their owners just like their kids do. I have seen many instances of this where I haven't missed the mark!

Last edited:
Huge dog person here, too. Just lost my little best buddy (Cocker) of the past 12 years to cancer back in June, but I'll definitely get another within a year or so.

IMO There's nothing inherently wrong with letting your dog have access to the back yard while you're gone (not locked in a backyard with no shelter, but eg. a doggie door that lets him come in and go out). Its a matter of training. Our neighbors have a wonderful Aussie that has a doggie door and a big back yard to exercise, entertain herself, stare at the owls that hang out back there, and generally avoid getting bored... but she doesn't bark or jump at the fence unless she SHOULD (someone approaching the gate that she doesn't recognize). My last dog was perfectly fine being inside while we were gone, as long as he had windows to look out. But he spent many un-supervise hours in the back yard when we WERE home. Its "his" as much as the house was.

In my town, most other dog owners are pretty considerate, but there are a few real goobers that'll let their dog poop right in front of your walkway and then leave it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back