Mobil Delvac 1300 10W-30 tested against Delo & T5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Former Bitog member Stinky Peterson (RIP) of Butler CAT Analysis Lab taught me to be wary of marketing that promoted a better product based on a single parameter. The entire package needs to be evaluated under real life conditions. A popular analogy is to imply that a certain oil is better because it has a higher starting TBN. The fact is that an oil with a lower starting TBN of higher quality ingredients might end up better at the END of an OCI.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Former Bitog member Stinky Peterson (RIP) of Butler CAT Analysis Lab taught me to be wary of marketing that promoted a better product based on a single parameter. The entire package needs to be evaluated under real life conditions. A popular analogy is to imply that a certain oil is better because it has a higher starting TBN. The fact is that an oil with a lower starting TBN of higher quality ingredients might end up better at the END of an OCI.

Thank you for posting this. Sometimes, I get sucked into the the TBN numbers and play off the other factors, as you mentioned above. That's why I love Bitog. Learn something new everyday.

Thanks for posting this!

For what it's worth, I talked on the phone with a gentleman at Chevron Delo's Technical Support and asked why it was more important to reduce ZDDP and be SN rated, instead of staying with their previous levels. He told they're using new ashless additive technology that provides better protection that allows them to reduce ZDDP levels. My guess is all the major companies are roughly doing the same thing in their CK4 HDEOs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: doitmyself
The fact is that an oil with a lower starting TBN of higher quality ingredients might end up better at the END of an OCI.

That is true, but certain specifications do require a minimum starting TBN, and some of the big name HDEOs start significantly higher than the lesser competition, being E7, E9 lubricants, rather than just CJ-4 or CK-4. Of course, few run the lubricant to its limitations, but advanced specifications are just that.

Plus they are also sending out confusing messages on their own products. They claim the Delvac conventional is greater than syn blends on one page, and then for their synthetics they point out how they can improve mileage by 1%. I guess these economies of scale really only make sense when you're talking over millions of miles.... because 1 million miles at 6 mpg with a 1% savings only comes to about $6,000 in fuel costs (1,500 gallons @ $4 per)... which I'm sure pales in comparison to the cost of oil changes in the volumes required for semis.

All marketing is just a way to convince you to spend on their product vs. a competitor even if there are no benefits to their products... see Lucas Oil Treatment if you have any questions.
smile.gif

I'm sure Delvac 1300 10W30 is a decent oil-it sure is hard to find, though, unless you look at an overpriced Mobil distributor. Almost makes me jealous of the Canadians!

I can get Mobil Delvac Extreme 10w30 syn blend near me for about $15 a gallon from a local Mack Truck dealership shop. I have used it and sampled it and it is strikingly similar to a Schaeffer 10w30 syn blend that I generally use. Schaeffer and Mobil do have a close business relationship, so that might be it. I haven't tried to see what the Delvac conventional 10w30 is going for in my area. I am sure that the 10w30 Delvac conventional is a pretty decent oil also. I am a little pessimistic of marketing claims regarding an oil's performance compared to the competition. But then, I am pessimistic of just about all claims made by marketing departments.

So they compare 2 different Delo oils and use CJ-4 benchmarks and then compare 2 different Rotella's but use CK-4 benchmarks for those? Why not same for same?

Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
Plus they are also sending out confusing messages on their own products. They claim the Delvac conventional is greater than syn blends on one page, and then for their synthetics they point out how they can improve mileage by 1%.

Within the fine print, it's all true. When they're comparing their conventionals to other blends, they're comparing their own E7, E9 conventionals against blends that aren't certified as highly. When comparing their syn blends and syns for fuel economy, they're comparing to other oils that are less suited to higher fuel economy.

So, certain things are true; they just may not be noticeable or worthwhile for an individual case. If you're taking the lubricant out to its condemnation and running a lot of miles, you can get these benefits, as the case may be. The average user will never notice.

Originally Posted By: PiperOne
So they compare 2 different Delo oils and use CJ-4 benchmarks and then compare 2 different Rotella's but use CK-4 benchmarks for those? Why not same for same?

Spin
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Originally Posted By: PiperOne

Spin
laugh.gif

Ain't that the truth!

Just a few months ago I replied that Delo was the last CJ on our shelves … and some on this site folks seem to think CJ was better (not just anti wear) ... HTHS dropped on Delvac CK ~ but I did not compare the others …

I’d run any of them any day …

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back