Your thoughts on Christmas music....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Christmas music is playing. Some stations even play it 24/7. How much do you enjoy it?

I like it a lot and can listen to it a lot. I don't like it before Thanksgiving however.

I think having it play softly in the background at a Christmas gathering is fine, or maybe in the car as it gets closer to Christmas. I don't think it is as nice to listen to when it is mid-November.

When I was younger, I absolutely hated it. A lot had to do with the eight years of retail work I did.

Now it's fine.

I especially love all the recent decoding of the music into stories of date rape, stalking, domestic violence, and adultery. Today's society couldn't wait to ruin it.

I should add that I hate all of the strange alterations of classic songs that are terrible. They run out of stuff to play so they play a terrible hacked up version of a classic song.

My grandma who passed away a couple years ago at 89 always had the best taste in Christmas music when we went to her house for Christmas dinner.

I do like me some Sinatra singing "Little Drummer Boy" for sure.

I have been thinking about putting Bad Religion's album of amped up Xmas music on my iPod, but the fact that I've been thinking about it for over a year means it probably won't happen.

Hate it, hate it, hate it! I worked one Christmas break at the old Famous-Barr department store in Chesterfield MO, and they played a one hour loop of BAD Christmas music...the same loop the whole season. I guess Federated was too cheap to spring for the licensing on first-rate Christmas songs, and settled for awful versions of familiar songs. Hearing the same loop for 8 hours was maddening.

Most of the time, I tune it out.. It's fine for a few days a year, but most places are playing it on or before Thanksgiving now.. and it gets old FAST... even some of the 'better' stuff, like Trans Siberian Orchestra.

I listen to talk or all news radio in the car as I spend a ton of time on the road. Then when I get home I listen to internet radio station. I also shop online instead of in store so I don't really hear Christmas music. I'm fine with that.
grin2.gif

Love Christmas Music.

Bing Crosby, Nat King Cole, Dean Marin etc, Doesn't get much better than that....

Jeff

I love the old traditional Christmas Hymns. Silent Night, Oh Holy Night, etc... if done tastefully. I don't like them being over-produced and butchered beyond recognition.

I despise however, the same 10 songs that you hear all season long: Jingle Bell Rock, Have a Holly Jolly Christmas, All I Want for Christmas is You, It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas, Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree, Feliz Navidad, etc... I've heard those enough to last me for the rest of my life.

I like Christmas though.

Originally Posted By: CincyDavid
Hate it, hate it, hate it! I worked one Christmas break at the old Famous-Barr department store in Chesterfield MO, and they played a one hour loop of BAD Christmas music...the same loop the whole season. I guess Federated was too cheap to spring for the licensing on first-rate Christmas songs, and settled for awful versions of familiar songs. Hearing the same loop for 8 hours was maddening.

So you don't hate Christmas music, but you do have really bad Christmas Musak (or whatever the old FB had)

How long has it been since those stores were FB. They are all Macy's or closed now. Feel old yet?

So you don't hate Christmas music, but you do have really bad Christmas Musak (or whatever the old FB had)

How long has it been since those stores were FB. They are all Macy's or closed now. Feel old yet?
[/quote]

I try to just tune out Christmas Music. The Holidays stress me out, and have since I was a kid. I'm a creature of habit and my routine gets all out of whack, too many parties, eating things I wouldn't normally eat, at odd times.

Famous has been gone for a long time, I just looked...they closed in 2006. And it was May Co that owned them when I worked there, not Federated. Shoot, when I moved to St Louis for college, Stix Baer and Fuller was just becoming Dillard's.

I don't mind most of it but there are three songs that I absolutely detest, one is Feliz Navidad, the second is Simply Having a Wonderful Christmas Time by Paul McCartney and the third is any version of "last Christmas I gave you my heart, the very next day you gave it away" (what kind of message is that song trying to send? It's depressing!)

Originally Posted By: ZZman
Christmas music is playing. Some stations even play it 24/7. How much do you enjoy it?

I like it a lot and can listen to it a lot. I don't like it before Thanksgiving however.

Exactly. One station plays it here after Halloween FFS! I do like Xmas music after Thanksgiving, though...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back