Grease for CV to hub splines

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to replace my CV axles on my 2008 Silverado 4wd. What is a good grease to use for the splines that go into the hub?

I have a can of the old GM grease (part # 12345718). Would that work or should I use something like a marine grease? I want use something that I can get at the local parts store.

I've only replaced a few CV axles. Never used any grease. The splines are locked into place with the tranny, unlike differential gears, which mesh and unmesh continuously.

Wouldn't grease from the inner spline contaminate the ATF?

Use a little never seize on the splines where it goes through the hub, it works well in the salt belt at keeping the corrosion out of the splines so the axles can be easily removed later.

Yep NS on the splines and a smear of grease where the seal rides is all that needs. You can use NS on everything but I prefer regular common grease with no particles (aluminum, copper, moly, etc) where the seal rides.

I know I have some grease at the house already but I can't remember what kind it is. If I don't have an NS is it safe to use a high-temp/marine grease on the splines?

I have the GM grease but I think the other is Valvoline grease.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I used anti-seize on the splines is what I did.

a little goes a long ways.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
a little goes a long ways.

Yes that's why I apply it with an acid brush so that just a thin coat gets applied.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back