0W-40 - Castrol vs Mobil vs Pennzoil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ndx

Hi Guys,

What are your thoughts on following 0W40 oils...

Cars were always fed M1 or German Castrol

Thinking about going with Pennzoil 0W40 same price as M1 at Walmart

All oils meet A40 spec or LL-04 as required for my cars

I feel like Pennzoil is best for cleaning power
smile.gif
???

Thank;s

Last edited:
What application is this for? A40 contradicts LL-04, and none of these are low SAPS oils.

If you're looking for LL-01, then you go for the Castrol. Mobil 1 no longer carries the certification. Pennzoil does not meet it, nor does it have any ACEA approvals.

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
What application is this for? A40 contradicts LL-04, and none of these are low SAPS oils.

If you're looking for LL-01, then you go for the Castrol. Mobil 1 no longer carries the certification. Pennzoil does not meet it, nor does it have any ACEA approvals.

I think you may be talking about Pennzoil "Ultra Platinum" (SRT) 0w40.

Pennzoil Platinum Euro should have ACEA and API specs as well as the Euro manufacturer approvals.

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS

Yes, Pennzoil Platinum Euro does not have LL-01 certification. But it does have:
MB 229.3, 229.5, 226.5
Porsche A40
VW 502.00/505.00
Fiat 9.55535.Z2
ACEA A3/B3-10, ACEA A3/B4-10
API SN/CF

Exceeding the requirement does not mean it has the certification.

The Euro Oils from Penzoil are not 0w anything that I know of? The ones I have seen are 5w something. So where do you find Penzoil Euro in a 0w class? Curious on that one.

I have used M1, and Penzoil in my VW over the years. My car likes the Castrol 0w40 the best thus far. I change it out every 5k miles.

Jeff

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX

The Euro Oils from Penzoil are not 0w anything that I know of? The ones I have seen are 5w something. So where do you find Penzoil Euro in a 0w class? Curious on that one.

I have used M1, and Penzoil in my VW over the years. My car likes the Castrol 0w40 the best thus far. I change it out every 5k miles.

Jeff

My local Wal-Mart has the Pennzoil Platinum Euro 0w40 in the 5 qt jugs.

Originally Posted By: Ndx

All oils meet A40 spec or LL-04 as required for my cars

Some meet LL-01, some meet LL-04. They are not interchangeable, at least here in NA.

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat

Jeff

My local Wal-Mart has the Pennzoil Platinum Euro 0w40 in the 5 qt jugs.

Not Mine.

I have been off BITOG for a while, didn't realize Penzoil had a 0w40 Euro Oil. News to me.

Im sticking with the Castrol 0w40 in my VW though, Car just likes it. No point in changing.

Jeff

Last edited:

ACEA historically and currently (it's changing though) is self-certifying. You exceed the requirements, end of story.

Personally, I'd find the 0w-40 Pennzoil to be problematic. One lacks the LL-01 for those who care, the other is the SRT one, and if BITOGers sometimes have trouble telling the difference, ordering it online would be a nightmare.
wink.gif
Buy it in person or stick to the 5w-40 Euro, would be my recommendation for those needing or wanting an A3/B4.

In Aus we have Edge 0w-40 that meets SN, C3, 229.51, LL-04, A40, dexos 2. From what I can tell this is the flagship European version. I notice that there is a SDS available for the USA with the same product code so maybe this is in the pipeline.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
0W-40 is only for German cars. BMW, Benz, Porsche, and VW.

My 2001 Tahoe would disagree. Been running M1 0w-40 in the Chevy 5.3 for over 100k miles now. It's a great oil at an amazing price ($20 on Amazon) and love 0w for a quicker engine warmup time. I actually run 1.5 quarts of M1 0w-40 in my 4-stroke golf cart too. Love this oil.

Lots of contradictory info here. Going from memory only Castrol has LL-01, which is probably the hardest of the “big 4” A3/B4 manufacturer approvals. Castrol is also the only PAO based oil, the other two are GTL. Since I have BMW engines, I run Castrol, and I’d say it’s the best of the three for other applications too (IMO).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back