London Black Cabs - Electric 650km/400 mile Range

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.theverge.com/2017/12/5/16704060/london-zero-emission-electric-taxi-lecv

Quote:

With a 50kW rapid charge, the battery powers up to 80 percent in 25 minutes. The TX also has the option for a range extender 1.5-liter petrol engine for use when the driver wants to conserve the battery. It has three different modes — Smart, Pure EV, and Save that adjust the usage of battery and gasoline power. LEVC’s taxi allows for a range of over 650 km, including over 120 km using battery power.

"including over 120 km using battery power."

so it's not electric, its a plug in hybrid. huge difference.

Yeah that's why I quoted that section. It's good though that they are at least moving to Hybrids because of pollution there is and there is a ton of these running around.

Last edited:
I think the title should be revised, as the electric range isn't 650km/400 miles, it should say London Black Cabs - Hybrid 650/400 mile range.

ONN: I guess they could travel up to 120km on a charge and 80% of that charge taking 25 minutes (96km worth) I guess they could run on pure electric if they plugged in, in-between fares. Especially because 1 fare wouldn't be 96km.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: StevieC
ONN: I guess they could travel up to 120km on a charge and 80% of that charge taking 25 minutes (96km worth) I guess they could run on pure electric if they plugged in, in-between fares. Especially because 1 fare wouldn't be 96km.

Mostly no but sometimes they happen going to suburbs and such (not sure how london is setup), going out of the way they'd have to come back, which cuts it to 48km, which is 30 miles. They also don't sit for that long (25 minutes) between fares, unless they're doing airport runs which tend to be longer in distance in nature.

What makes this most impressive is that they're pretty big vehicles, having passenger capacity in the rear of 6, that's pretty much a mini van. The only plug in hybrid mini van that exists on the market is Pacifica with 33 mile range, so these cabs double that, very cool.

It's got a 72 mile electric range, sounds like the same idea used in the Chevy Volt with a bit bigger battery. The problem is they have to keep that cab warm for the clients, and using a battery to create heat discharges it rapidly. I have seen that in the Volt and I live in a moderate climate. Sounds good though, anything even if small, to take away from oil countries in the ME is good in my book.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
It's got a 72 mile electric range, sounds like the same idea used in the Chevy Volt with a bit bigger battery. The problem is they have to keep that cab warm for the clients, and using a battery to create heat discharges it rapidly. I have seen that in the Volt and I live in a moderate climate. Sounds good though, anything even if small, to take away from oil countries in the ME is good in my book.

so if such battery is only used for those purposes then it cuts out idling which is huge in itself.

Electric is great for the inner city where air pollution is a real issue, the internal combustion engine for longer runs outside. Best of both worlds really.
I wish LNG hybrids would become common, almost no pollution, doesn't duff the engine oil, create deposits, etc and good performance from the electric motor. Its past time for gasoline and diesels to go the way of the dino.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back