WEN Generator 1 Year-Old Gas + Stabil - No Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

gathermewool

Site Donor 2023
With only one or two minor power outages this past year, our WEN 2kW inverter generator has sat mostly unused for over a year, with the same gas + regular Stabil (I kept 100% topped off for storage).

Wanted to run the gas out (1 gal in generator + 1 treated gal in container), so I ran the generator for over 8.5 hrs using a 1.5kW ceramic heater. Started on 2nd pull, ran perfectly; no smoke; no consumption, etc.

I've got about a quarter tank left and I'm planning on running it out, then filling the tank to the brim with treated fuel, just like I did over the past year. I'll probably burn the gallon of fuel every 6 months, instead of waiting a year. What do you guys think?

I like blue StaBil. And E0 gas.

I prefer to run the engine until it is out of gas. Turn the fuel line valve off and let it run until it dies.

Propane soles all the ugly gasoline problems.

I didn't read here about the benefits of blue StaBil until I already had the generator and the red stuff. I've got enough red stuff to last me until, well, the red stuff is no longer stable... No E0 around here, so far as I know.

You think I should run it dry and only only fill it when needed to exercise or for an emergency? If that's the case, how do you plan ahead?

Luckily for me, we're moving into a new house where we'll have tons of OPE, so a treated gas tank can be easily used up with normal yard work going forward, whereas the gas I've stored thus far has been only for the generator.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
I'm planning on running it out, then filling the tank to the brim with treated fuel, just like I did over the past year.

Correct, keep it full with treated gas. E0 if it is available.

Use the fuel shut off valve to run the carb bowl dry after each use.

You can test it every 6 months. That will be fine. I would always run carb bowl dry after each use or test. Install a gas line shutoff and filter if needed.

Keep your emergency supply of gas for 6 months and then add it to a cars gas tank.

Originally Posted By: Blueskies123
You are wasting time and gas. Drain most of it out and put it in your car. Then run the generator dry.

Planned to do just that, but the generator is near its next oil change requirement (still low hours) and I wanted to run it for a bit before dumping the GC in the sump.

No time wasted. It ran in the background .

//

Again, going forward, I'll be using up older gas in OPE (I'm moving from a condo to a house.)

I just wanted to share that the treated gas ran fine after a year. It worried me, so I figured t would be a good anecdote fo others .

With only one or two minor power outages this past year, our WEN 2kW inverter generator has sat mostly unused for over a year, with the same gas + regular Stabil (I kept 100% topped off for storage).

Wanted to run the gas out (1 gal in generator + 1 treated gal in container), so I ran the generator for over 8.5 hrs using a 1.5kW ceramic heater. Started on 2nd pull, ran perfectly; no smoke; no consumption, etc.

I've got about a quarter tank left and I'm planning on running it out, then filling the tank to the brim with treated fuel, just like I did over the past year. I'll probably burn the gallon of fuel every 6 months, instead of waiting a year. What do you guys think?

I think you are a brave man. With 1 year old stabilized gas, I would have siphoned it out, put it in my car and then filled the generator up with fresh before starting it. I have had too many carbs gum up from fuel sitting anything longer than about 6 months.

I don't know where in new England you are, but I am in CT. We have no ethanol free gas here, no top tier fuel (in my area at least) and the gas pumps aren't even labeled "contains 10% ethanol". Savy DIYers around here frequently test the gas they get out of the local pumps for ethanol content and they RARELY get 10% ethanol. It is usually more like 12-18% ethanol on any given day. Most of them believe that is why the gas pumps are only labeled "contains ethanol" and we have so many small engine problems. Our local gas has way more than 10% ethanol and they know it, hence the "contains ethanol" labeling. That way, no one can be held accountable for the gas having more than 10% ethanol and all the problems that go with it.

As always, YMMV but I figured I would pass it on.

AMC,

I definitely had to think about it and surf the web about it for a while before deciding to run the old gas through. I had planned on changing the oil, checking the plug (I have a spare ready to go, based on advice I read here), and figuring out how to get the most fuel out of the genny as possible, prior to adding fresh stuff.

I've had some pretty heavy stuff weighing me down in life lately, so a lot of simple things have been put on the back-burner (back-burners, really.) If maintenance or chores weren't required, they haven't been done. Heck, I didn't even wash/wax either car once before this winter!
27.gif

Anyway, the oil (German Castrol 0W-30) only has maybe 10-20 hrs. The gas was treated and the generator was left filled, stored in a temperature-controlled space. I also added some PEA-laced additive to help clean any carb buildup during running. I have been running the generator every so often over the past year, as well.

//

I'm from CT, as well. I'll have to pay closer attention to the pumps from now on. IIRC, the pumps USED TO say something like, "contains up to 10% ethanol,) but I don't remember seeing those lately, at least not with clear language like that. Thanks for the info.

I wouldn't worry about it. fill it up add stabul and run it every so often. I have a 1500 watt Wen.

When I am done mowing in the summer. Half the time I do nothing except start it up next spring. And yes-it starts.
People worr to much IMHO. To each his own.

Last edited:
I didn't read here about the benefits of blue StaBil until I already had the generator and the red stuff. I've got enough red stuff to last me until, well, the red stuff is no longer stable... No E0 around here, so far as I know.

You think I should run it dry and only only fill it when needed to exercise or for an emergency? If that's the case, how do you plan ahead?

Luckily for me, we're moving into a new house where we'll have tons of OPE, so a treated gas tank can be easily used up with normal yard work going forward, whereas the gas I've stored thus far has been only for the generator.

No need to run it dry, however running the gen out of fuel(closed fuel valve) works great. I have been doing that for 11 years with my generator. Also the red Sta-Bil says on the bottle it is for ethanol treatment as well.

tig1,

I'll probably just run it until the gauge reads "E" and then fill'er back up. The dilution with new fuel will ensure whatever is left is diluted to nil. The gauge is at 1/2 full now - I haven't been able to run the last of the old fuel out yet.

Every year I swear I'm going to "summarize" the snowblower. Every year I put it away as is with nothing more than a wash down and the same red stabil gas spiked at one ounce every two gallons. Used in everything.

I don't even bother to keep the tank full, and yet every year top off with fresh gas and it starts without complaint.

Must be doing something right because this is ten percent ethanol and I've never had a single problem. Even in the tiny carbs of smaller OPE.

I attribute this to the stabilizer, keeping the gas fresh in an awesome can (eagle safety can with seal) and tossing whatever gas doesn't get used after six months in the car.

Originally Posted By: DdDd
Every year I swear I'm going to "summarize" the snowblower. Every year I put it away as is with nothing more than a wash down and the same red stabil gas spiked at one ounce every two gallons. Used in everything.

I don't even bother to keep the tank full, and yet every year top off with fresh gas and it starts without complaint.

Must be doing something right because this is ten percent ethanol and I've never had a single problem. Even in the tiny carbs of smaller OPE.

I attribute this to the stabilizer, keeping the gas fresh in an awesome can (eagle safety can with seal) and tossing whatever gas doesn't get used after six months in the car.

This. Same story here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back