appointment only repair shop? What's the purpose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess it's so you don't have to leave your car there for a week for them to get to it, but if you have a blown engine or something like that, they won't be able to fix it that day anyways I would think. My main question is how do they get the parts to get you back and running the same day. My local dealer never has anything in stock other than maintenance items like fuel filters. etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
So they can run smoothly and not upset people who drop in and expect that a busy shop fix their car properly when they are busy.

If it's a good shop I'm sure they are always busy with plenty of work for them. It's also probably to weed out the poor customers that expect fast and good service for cheap.

Last edited:
I have 5 bays and 7 mechanics. One bay is usually open, Come in ANYTIME.

135 bucks an hour.

That's why.

Last edited:
You are SOOOO SPECIAL they will fix YOUR TRUCK first
smile.gif

They do that to manage staffing costs; having mechanics idling around waiting for drop-in business is expensive. For very small shops, it's the only way a 1-3 man business can manage its workflow, assuming that demand for its service work exceeds supply.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
You are SOOOO SPECIAL they will fix YOUR TRUCK first
smile.gif

Well if I'm going to setup an appoint a week ahead of time I would hope so.

Do you expect to walk into your doctor's office without calling ahead and see the doc immediately?
I'm lucky if I get seen without half an hour of an appointment unless I can get my preferred slot of right when the office opens.

Look, you can probably walk into CVS and get a flu shot without waiting, just like you can probably drive to Jiffy Lube and get your oil done without a long wait. Anything more complicated for your or your car's health and you need an appointment, although you can go to the ER for yourself and pay through the nose and probably still wait if you're not on the brink of death. Are there ERs for cars???

I want to be able to walk into a shop and have someone to talk to, i personally would not go anywhere where i needed an appointment just to talk...
Now after having talked with a mechanic i am fine with the mechanic saying, bring me your car x day at x hour.

They probably do keep some slack in the schedule for when someone's car doesn't start or something.

I normally make an appointment for work that can be scheduled such as fixing an A/C system, or new struts, etc.

But when my old Protege5 wouldn't start 50 miles from home, I was able to get it towed to my mechanic without any drama.

I would imaging scheduling is akin to triage in a hospital. More serious cases, like a no-start may get to go ahead of a squeaky exhaust system.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Do you expect to walk into your doctor's office without calling ahead and see the doc immediately?
I'm lucky if I get seen without half an hour of an appointment unless I can get my preferred slot of right when the office opens.

Look, you can probably walk into CVS and get a flu shot without waiting, just like you can probably drive to Jiffy Lube and get your oil done without a long wait. Anything more complicated for your or your car's health and you need an appointment, although you can go to the ER for yourself and pay through the nose and probably still wait if you're not on the brink of death. Are there ERs for cars???

I avoid paying through the nose if I have a heart attack by setting up a dr appointment each day and then keep rescheduling it daily

ER for cars is called rent a car, or share car with wife or SO for a week, or your buddy loaning you a spare car he has, or uber, or something, your car won't die if you have a bad wheel bearing and you keep it parked for a week, although letting those Priuses sit with a bad battery will do some crazy damage I heard.

Originally Posted By: khittner
They do that to manage staffing costs; having mechanics idling around waiting for drop-in business is expensive. For very small shops, it's the only way a 1-3 man business can manage its workflow, assuming that demand for its service work exceeds supply.

In that case, you say "drop off when convenient" but make SURE you say "we won't start working on it until later/tomorrow"

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Why would a repair shop make you setup an appointment to come in?

Why would a doctor make you set up an appointment?

Why would a financial advisor make you set up an appointment?

Why would a lawyer make you set up an appointment?

Originally Posted By: Ethan1

so he can prepare the list of ways to screw you.

Some context:
I'm a 1-man operation, no sign out front (yet), within sight of the local Napa (with whom I have a good enough reputation that they recommend me) on a high-traffic street in a town of about 11,000 people. I have no published hours, but I'm here most of the time and usually Saturdays, too (whenever there's work to be done). Most of my customers are part of the community centered around my church of ~300 people. I've no problem working for anyone that contacts me, but the church community is loyal enough that they usually keep me at about 70% capacity so I'm not in a huge hurry to get tons of walk-in business which will also bring more of the impoverished segment in, as well - I fix cars right, warranty my work, shop rate is $60/hr., and if you want a better deal than what I already give you can get it somewhere else. The two people I've had stand me up on payment so far were not people from church - go figure. I'm usually already acquainted with someone before they contact me about repair work, but most of the time it comes through references from other people, not self-marketing. And when a repeat customer texts me about an oil change that afternoon or the next day, 90% of the time I'm waiting on them. The bigger the job, the more lead time I need. CEL checks are free most of the time and OC's start at $30.

I'm certainly plotting a trajectory to grow the business, eventually hire help, move into a bigger building, and advertise as most shops do. A far different, but more conventional, business growth plan would not be as fulfilling to me and less friendly to the customer - I don't do this to get rich (I DO care about making money), I do it to provide comfortably for my family, find fulfillment, and help the people in my community by being more honest and thorough than 90% of the shops in the area. And I do it by appointment.

Would you rather pay the dealership rate for OC's and diagnostic checks, list price for parts, and as a recent customer did, spend $2,000 to have them tell you you need a PCM for $1,000?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ethan1

thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

It's called business protocol so the doctor, lawyer, or mechanic can address your problem on a one-to-one (personal) basis without being distracted.

If you come in unannounced or unscheduled, be prepared to wait or to be scheduled for the next available slot.

If you just want to talk, then join BITOG.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back