Diesel fuel question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody heard of or know anything about Ecco+ diesel? A local Shell station has this on their pump. Min Cetane 42. All other diesel around here is 40 cetane. I asked the cashier what it means and he didn't know but said it was not bio diesel.

Originally Posted By: loneryder
Min Cetane 42. All other diesel around here is 40 cetane.

National minimum cetane is 40. California minimum cetane is 52. Just FYI.

If diesel fuel cetane is 50 rather than the minimum of 40 does that help the engine run better. Can the engine take advantage of it?

I can see injector cleaning additives possibly helping, but I am asking specifically about cetane.

Fuels with lower Cetane number have longer ignition delays, providing more time for the fuel combustion process to be completed. Hence, higher speed diesel engines operate more effectively with higher Cetane number fuels.

So there may be an advantage of higher Cetane rated diesel fuel when it comes to air pollution because of faster more complete combustion. Or at least in theory.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
cetane is like octane in a gas engine.

not really, octane in gas is resistance to knock

cetane, you want it to have better properties to ignite under compression.

Higher cetane is better until a certain point of diminishing returns.

Shell has SunDiesel which is biomass-to-liquid fuel, which is approved by the diesel manufacturers in Europe, as it does not gum up critical diesel injection components, like a traditional FAME biodisel

Last edited:
The pump is green but does not say Shell on it. It caught my eye because it is higher cetane. Everything I see in the east is 40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back