Work gloves

Status
Not open for further replies.
What kind of work gloves do you guys use? My $6 pair of generic all leather gloves have holes worn through a few fingertips. I've done a bit of searching and have looked at Ironclad, Mechanix, and Kobalt online...though I was just at Lowes and tried on a pair of Mechanix Mpacts. They felt sort of thin and were $30. I don't mind paying that much if they'll last. A little leery of velcro anything lasting, too.
These will be for home use: gardening, occasional power tool, possible auto...no oil changes (I use disposables).
Thanks!

I dont use anything with velcro. Its gotta be stretchy at the wrist so I can pull them off and on quickly or I end up not using them. Adjusting the velcro wastes too much time and frankly irritates me, so I wont put them on unless I absolutely need it.
Im using some off-brand my work gets in. They are leather palm and fingers with like a nylon back.

I just bought the "original" Mechanix gloves at the parts store. They retail for $20. I think they could be a little thicker for the price - that said, I guess the thicker the gloves the more dexterity you lose.

Used them when working on the Suburban today and it was SO nice not to get dirty hands, and compared to the black Raven disposable gloves I usually use there was no icky sweatiness and taking them on and off easily beats getting a new pair of gloves from the box.

Of course, I wasn't working with fluids - if I was, I'd use disposables.

Last edited:
I use the cheepie harbor freight leather gloves. $1/pair in bundles of 5 or 6. I have several unopened packages of them stashed around. Whenever I go to HF I grab a pack of them.

thumbsup2.gif

I get the nitrile dipped ones too. At the rate I lose them it only makes sense to get as many as I can. But the rubber ones or latex ones seem to rip easy. These are perfect

Those nitrile dipped cloth gloves look great. I'm going to try those. Looks like you can get'em for close to a buck a pair shipped from eBay.

I too have been using the cheapy cloth/suede ones from HFT, or soft cloth lined leather ones from work. Dunno how many times I tried wearing nitrile single use and I tear them on something right away when working on cars, etc.

Originally Posted By: E365
Absolutely despise the ones like this.
https://deerhillexpeditions.com/product/gloves-work/

I always have a pair like those around and have never had any wear out.
Have thrown away two pairs after using them to murder mice, once in my garage and once during an AC service.
The garage problem was caused by the little buggers finding a hole that chipmunks had chewed through the seal at the bottom of a garage door to get to some bird seed my wife was storing, then discovering that our builder had not sealed holes that had been cut through the ceiling drywall for the garage door supports. The cats started catching mice like crazy and I started to suspect the garage, so I snuck down through the basement around midnight without a light and then threw the door into the garage open while turning the lights on. The little nightmares were EVERYWHERE and I pulled the work gloves on and went totally Jason on them, killing them any way I could. I saw many of them fleeing up the door supports into the ceiling and sealed the holes the next day, I'm sure many of them died inside the walls and floors but I didn't care.
Cats haven't caught a single mouse inside since.
I am not normally a mass murderer, but I wasn't letting those things survive to damage my house even more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back