walker exhaust band clamp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody used one of these? https://www.amazon.com/Walker-33975-Aluminized-Lap-Joint-Exhaust/dp/B0015KUF5Y On the Rat, I have adapted the Y pipe/cat connection to accept a 2 1/2" universal cat. I can't get a tight clamp on the piece of pipe at the 2 1/2' ID to 2 1/2 OD adapter even though the pipe butts up to the Y pipe inside the adapter. The weight of the cat,intermediate pipe and muffler are enough to so I can rotate the entire exhaust by turning the oval muffler. I'm using regular 2 1/2 exhaust clamps. I'll shear it before I can get enough of a squeeze.

Yes, Ive had mixed luck. If the pipe is the right size for the clamp, it works perfect. But I dont know why I had one not too long ago the pipe was either a bit large on the OD or the clamp was a bit small. The pipe wrinkled slightly under the clamp and it leaked loud enough to be heard over the aftermarket muffler. Ended up going back in and removing them so I could weld it all up.

I used a stainless steel version on a full stainless catback system on a car a few years back. It was not a reducing clamp like the one you pictured, and overall seemed to be better quality. It worked perfectly, although I had no idea what torque to use on the bolts. I called the company and they had no idea either, so together we guessed about 25 ft/lbs. Its been in service about 3-4 years now without issue.

Thanks for feedback. I just re-hung everything. For the limited use the truck gets, it will suffice. The right fix of course, is new from the manifolds out. Ain't gonna happen. Not until I can convince the spousal unit of the need for a 3rd vehicle, that hurts her to drive and is usually broken anyway. My present plan is to put it back on the road as an antique in '19 when it turns 25.

Originally Posted By: andyd
I can't get a tight clamp on the piece of pipe at the 2 1/2' ID to 2 1/2 OD adapter even though the pipe butts up to the Y pipe inside the adapter.

These work perfect if used properly.

Take a hacksaw and cut some slits in the pipe adapter so it has the ability to compress when the clamp is placed & tightened..

These clamps stretch if over torqued....., and It sound like you might have done that. Cut a shim of steel soup can type materiel to take up the space if you can't tighten the clamp more.

i used them in stainless as well as stainless band clamps with great success, usually bought on e-bay. there are preformed + straight that form to exhaust diameters, not recommended for butt fits!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back