Battle of the $6.50 oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I searched and couldn't find a comparison on here between the Wix/Napa Gold and the Fram Tough Guard.

I'm not interested in any Purolator product because I don't want to risk an even slightly higher than normal chance of a torn filter.

So, passing on the cheaper filters, but not stepping up to an Ultra/M1 (don't want to run the filter two OCIs), I am left with only a couple choices:

-Wix ($6.50 or so, cheaper on sale)- built like a tank, silicone ADBV, all I've seen cut open look good.
-AC Delco Classic ($4.29 for a non-ecore) - built well, but nitrile ADBV, OEM for my car (PF47)
-Fram Tough Guard (same price as Wix) - great efficiency but fiber endcaps, silicone ADBV, grippy paint. Cut-open look less good. I'm not as sure on the cardboard endcaps.

At the longest, these filters would be run out to OLM distance. That could be as many as 10,000 miles if I drive mostly highway.
What do you guys think?
I really like the Wix construction, but the Fram Tough Guard looks good on paper. AC Delco is a good filter but I don't like the idea of running it for 10,000 miles with a nitrile ADBV.

Sure wix looks OK when new but have u seen how wavy and buckled the media is after 5k? Just look at the cut and posts
Where can you find wix for $6.50 or cheaper?
Every store in Chicagoland has them for 8.50+
For 10k my vote would be the tough guard

Last edited:
I switch between Wix and the TG. I find the TG works better on my Liberty, the ADBV must be a bit better or something. Negligible difference. I've cut a Wix open after about 5 or 6k and it looked great, although I do believe Wix specs a 7500 max OCI. I like the TG, easy to get at Walmart if you're already there for oil. Wix is good too overall.

The Wix Cartridge filter in the PentaStars in our family comes out just as straight as it goes in.
21.gif

WIX and NAPA Gold are darn good filters. FRAM Ultras look to be pretty good. I wouldn’t touch those cardboard end FRAMs with a 10’ pole.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Sure wix looks OK when new but have u seen how wavy and buckled the media is after 5k? Just look at the cut and posts

Nope, never seen that. They look just fine.

Wally World in San Jose, CA is selling Mobil1 filters for around $6. I grabbed the last M-110 (Honda) box; it was was over stretched out. Someone stuffed a Fram in and put the M1 in the Fram box to save a few bucks... Never sat that one before.

Lubrifiner and Baldwin are commercial filters. Both will easily go two OCI's w/o incident.

I run Napa Gold because it is close by and durable. I've never had one fail. I suppose it could happen ... But has not for me.

1.5 miles to Napa Store. 19 miles to Wally World and they don't always have what I want.

Baldwin is mail-order for me. That what goes on my wife's Jag
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Wix or Fram Ultra. TG is just an overpriced orange can.

Media difference between the EG and TG. Efficiency and holding capacity is better on the TG vs EG.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Media difference between the EG and TG. Efficiency and holding capacity is better on the TG vs EG.

Same cheesy construction, if you're going to spend a little extra on a filter do it right and buy an Ultra.

Originally Posted By: MParr
I wouldn’t touch those cardboard end FRAMs with a 10’ pole.

I'd run an EG or TG (fiber end caps) before any Purolator. C&Ps haven't looked bad lately.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Same cheesy construction, if you're going to spend a little extra on a filter do it right and buy an Ultra.

See post above this one.

WIX and NAPA Gold hold up well to 10,000 miles with ease, i have done it many times.

Originally Posted By: MParr
I wouldn’t touch those cardboard end FRAMs with a 10’ pole.

Fram Tough Guard with FIBER endcaps easily handle 15,000 miles on a clean engine,
I have a C&P posted up of one with 15K on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back