Has anything ever affected your ability to repair?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I worked at a place briefly who employed a guy who had very little patience. Everything had to be done as efficient as possible and done his way or the highway. He was like the shop manager I guess you could say. I feel that since I worked at that place that now I tend to just jump into things without thinking because I had that fast paced attitude pounded into my head. I'm not really a fast paced person and am not really good at multi tasking plus I hate being interrupted when doing something because it throws me off track.

Has anything ever changed your thinking or ability to fix things for the worse?

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: NYEngineer
I had a broken right forearm once. That put a damper on my wrenching abilities for a little while.

Ditto, only left wrist/forearm in 5-7 pieces(depending on how you count apparently).

Got a handy titanium plate in there now.. its a weather antenna.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
I worked at a place briefly who employed a guy who had very little patience. Everything had to be done as efficient as possible and done his way or the highway. He was like the shop manager I guess you could say. I feel that since I worked at that place that now I tend to just jump into things without thinking because I had that fast paced attitude pounded into my head. I'm not really a fast paced person and am not really good at multi tasking plus I hate being interrupted when doing something because it throws me off track.

i just want to say that experience sounds awful..and its terrible it had an effect on you. i hate hack workers...a hack boss would be a nightmare. ill admit im not the fastest but my stuff never needs done twice. sometimes that ends up being faster..

I lived a few years at a house that had no garage and only a gravel drive. That made some repairs not worth it, ie a clutch job.

The problem with me is whenever I go fast I either hurt myself or end up having to do the job twice. lol

I have worked for guys like that and I have worked for guys you were not allowed to be smarter than.

Right know, I work for a guy who has no experience in our field, but knows more than all of us.
Won't take advice from anyone.
Two guys in the office have 30 yrs and 37 yrs with the company in our dept.
Pretty sad, just drags everybody down.

Im running into a similar 'efficiency' problem, but its company wide. Got told Im not efficient enough. Taking too many steps (literal walking steps) to complete a task. Like, Im trying to juggle between a dozen different tasks I have to keep up with, so yeah, I sometimes do forget stuff and end up going back and forth to get something done. Thats just the way it is and the way it will be as long as I have such a full plate.

The problem with me is whenever I go fast I either hurt myself or end up having to do the job twice. lol

In a former life, I ran an advertising agency. High-pressure; deadline-driven.

I had an expression I often used with the creative department: "Never time to do it right. Always time to do it over."

Generaly in a workshop there is a bit of competition to be the fastest on any repair...and I'm guilty of that mindset, and it's not a bad thing, until the corner cutting leads to poor workmanship. When I started working as a sole charge mechanic, trying to get through a full days work, booking jobs in, talking to customers, diagnosing problems, ordering parts, making up invoices and finally taking the money...I relalised it was not about working fast, but working smart. That changed how I work from then on - get 3 or 4 cars in, find out what parts I needs, get them happening, keep onto to parts situation, working through the repair work so each one hits the point of parts arriving at the appropriate time...deal with all the other stuff happening.

When working for a guy with the same mindset as me a couple of years ago, various guys working for us would stop and say ''I can't get this off.'' Aghhh - stay on a roll...while doing plan A, have plan B ready to go, launch straight into plan B while formulating plans C and D. Don't stop just keep on keeping on.

I can't stand that mindset; such people are always "go, go, go" without thinking things through. There are always consequences to this approach, and I'll be [censored] if such people ever recognize "cause and effect."

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Im running into a similar 'efficiency' problem, but its company wide. Got told I'm not efficient enough. Taking too many steps to complete a task.

Every job in the entire country is heading this direction.

Rush, rush, rush..... That's just the way it is and the way it will be

Acute neuropathy apperently due to an inability to absorb dietary B12

Started getting episodes of extreme dyslexia, during which I couldn't see properly. Awkward when you're supposed to be teaching English. Extreme fatigue the rest of the time.

Fortunately in lucid intervals I was able to research it and suggest some tests to the neurologists, one of which apparently hit the jackpot.

Progression is psychosis, paralysis, dementia and death, usually fairly rapid and in that order.

Last edited:
Pernicious anemia, a B12 deficiency, a lot of cases in a certain part of the USA, one of the symtoms is a red neck.

Originally Posted By: Exit32

In a former life, I ran an advertising agency. High-pressure; deadline-driven.

I had an expression I often used with the creative department: "Never time to do it right. Always time to do it over."

I worked in a shipyard for a while, doing a cut-and-shut on a P&O car ferry to give it extra capacity and tankage. Was not long after The Falklands War and the rumour was that the MOD were once again rebuilding the stable door after the horse had been shot.

Anyway, they were in the contract time penalty zone and it was management by (not of) crisis. Welders complained that they'd been forced to use the wrong rods (or maybe not kept in the right ovens, can't remember) by panicked managemnt, and this would cause hydrogen embrittlemnt of the welds.

Sho nuff, welds failed Lloyds inspection and had to be burned out and re-done.

Twice. This did not noticably speed things up and the ship had stretch marks.

IIRC the company went bust shortly after she floated, but I (and most of the welders, but not much of the management) were gone by then.

Originally Posted By: Silk
Pernicious anemia, a B12 deficiency, a lot of cases in a certain part of the USA, one of the symtoms is a red neck.

Ah. I thought it might be a reference to illiteracy.

Don't think I had a red neck. Probably couldn't tell here cos of the sunburn. I didn't show aneamia either, but apparently a fairly high percentage (can't remember how high) of cases don't.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back