Stopping at Scales?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Next year I'll be moving cross-country. Plan to use a car dolly to tow my front-wheel-drive Ford Escape with my Suburban. Thing is I've never towed anything so IDK if I have to stop at scales or whatnot? Hoping somebody here has towed stuff and has some idea. Thanks!

If you're not towing with a commercial vehicle, you'll be fine. I tow a 7X14 enclosed trailer for work with a wrapped/decal covered Transit van, and I don't always go over scales myself (although I should).

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Just don't do this...
Right. My friend did that to her Protege, all the way from Richmond to Columbia. It wasn't on hard enough skid the tires, but cooked the wheel cylinders so badly that all the fluid ran out.

A few years ago I went from Alabama to Texas driving a 26 foot uhaul towing a trailer with my MG on it. Never stopped at scales and never had a problem.

Uhaul's and personal vehicles don't need to visit weight scales.

I once rode hitch hiking in CO in a really overloaded truck full of neatly stack wood that they rented an oversize Uhaul to avoid weight scales and limits on back roads. The thing was tippy.

I think each state may have their own rules. Check them out. Another idea is to contact your rental company. They will have the info.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PimTac
I think each state may have their own rules. Check them out. Another idea is to contact your rental company. They will have the info.

Unfortunately I can't ask the rental company, because I am not renting
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Donald
I would get a car trailer rather than a dolly.

I'd love to buy a car trailer, but they're expensive. I don't like "little cars" but I intentionally purchased a front-wheel-drive vehicle (Ford Escape) to enable towing with a car tow dolly. Also, car trailers are heavy and since I only have a Suburban 1500 it might not be able to handle such a load especially with three people, a bunch of cargo and stuff. I could just sell the Escape and get a cargo trailer but I'd rather have a second car than a trailer. After all, while it doesn't have the same capacity, I can just put stuff in the Escape and use it like a cargo trailer.

You don't have to stop but believe me if you do and don't they will run you down and make you go back.
My father and I were bringing back a brand new Triaxle from Maryland to Pennsylvania, I was driving and he told me to just run the scale it's a new truck, never had anything in the bed. I didn't get far before I had a cop on me.
He was going to make me go back but crawled up the ladder looked in the bed looked at the transit slip and said go ahead but don't do it again.

Last edited:
Found this on AAA website.

http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/weigh-stations/

Since you are just driving a Suburban and towing the car, I’m guessing you won’t have to stop. Most weigh stations have those transponder lanes prior to the station. A sign will tell you if you need to exit to the scale. Have your cooling system and brakes checked for good measure. The mountain passes will be a good test for your rig.

Before you leave, rent the movie classic The Grapes of Wrath. That will get you into the mood.

Most scales in Cali have "No Pick-ups" on the entry to the scales. Suburban is just a long enclosed pick-up ...

If a motor cop sees you going down the road and thinks there may be an issue, he may ask you to go through a scale. But otherwise it's a no-no to take up their time and space. They are busy with trucks from Mexico ...

Keep the air up in your rear tires. That'll be the thing that gets the cops attention - bulging sidewalls ... As long as your rig looks safe and you are not weaving and fish tailing, your good. Keep the speeds down and they will cruise right by you.

Gotta stay in the two outside lanes. Curb lane is safest. If something goes wrong, you can pull off immediately. They really don't like heavy tows in the second lane for long.

Your Escape is not all that heavy, but it'll look bulky. Have a good hitch and make sure ALL your lights work
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Most scales in Cali have "No Pick-ups" on the entry to the scales. Suburban is just a long enclosed pick-up ...

If a motor cop sees you going down the road and thinks there may be an issue, he may ask you to go through a scale. But otherwise it's a no-no to take up their time and space. They are busy with trucks from Mexico ...

Keep the air up in your rear tires. That'll be the thing that gets the cops attention - bulging sidewalls ... As long as your rig looks safe and you are not weaving and fish tailing, your good. Keep the speeds down and they will cruise right by you.

Gotta stay in the two outside lanes. Curb lane is safest. If something goes wrong, you can pull off immediately. They really don't like heavy tows in the second lane for long.

Your Escape is not all that heavy, but it'll look bulky. Have a good hitch and make sure ALL your lights work
laugh.gif

Great tips, thank you! Yeah we will carefully inspect everything at every fuel stop throughout the trip - fluid levels, tire pressure, lights, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back