Engine break-in during winter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am in the market to replace my Accord but am thinking about whether it would be better to defer the purchase till Spring to avoid the cold weather startups during break-in. Any thoughts..

Originally Posted By: vinu_neuro
I am in the market to replace my Accord but am thinking about whether it would be better to defer the purchase till Spring to avoid the cold weather startups during break-in. Any thoughts..

Heh... I'm in the market to replace my 530i, but I'm waiting until next Spring, not because of any break-in concerns, but I just don't want to put it through snow/salt, plus the risk of getting into a wreck is higher during winter.
smile.gif

How bad is short running an engine in below freezing weather? Inquiring minds want to know.

Years ago I drove into and thru a blizzard in West Texas and I feel blessed that my rental truck and the car my wife was driving started up in the morning. It took quite a while to dig out of the snow and ice and I'm not sure either vehicle could have restarted right away. We were 2 days in this stuff and that was bad enough. Little things like the door lock being frozen and over an inch of ice on the windshield and going backward when letting the clutch out in 1st gear was no fun. Not seeing the curbs in the motel parking lot and having the trailer go its own way was interesting, too. You folks that live in the stuff have got to be made of tough stuff. I was sure happy to arrive in San Diego without having an accident in the cold weather.

I say save your money and keep the accord

Think about the poor car sitting around at the factory lot and intermediate locations being all "not broken in" if that is a concern of yours. A car could be hatched today and not at your dealers until spring.

If you buy now, the thing might not have been started since a 60 degree day in October.

Of course you'd then be out smearing salt on it for an extra season of winter.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Heh... I'm in the market to replace my 530i, but I'm waiting until next Spring, not because of any break-in concerns, but I just don't want to put it through snow/salt, plus the risk of getting into a wreck is higher during winter.
smile.gif

My thoughts exactly. Wait until spring, get it rust proofed with Krown or Rust Check then drive on and be all prepared for next winter with some experience behind the wheel as well.

Originally Posted By: irv
Wait until spring, get it rust proofed with Krown or Rust Check then drive on and be all prepared for next winter with some experience behind the wheel as well.

Great advice, but there aren’t any Krown shops within 5 hours of Chicago.

Unless the car you buy in spring has been sitting on the lot for months. Potentially test driven on a salty slushy day and left out on the lot again to decompose. Makes me shiver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back