13-17 Diesel Dodge Ram Recall - Water Pumps

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.thecarconnection.com/news/11...-pump?fbfanpage

Quote:
Nearly half a million 2013-2017 Ram Heavy Duty pickup trucks are subject to a new recall designed to correct a faulty water pump bearing, the automaker's parent company said on Tuesday.

The recall covers 494,000 Ram 2500 and 3500 pickups, as well as 3500, 4500, and 5500 chassis cab configurations, built with a 6.7-liter turbodiesel engine. The trucks were built with a water pump bearing that the automaker says could overheat, which could in turn cause a fire in their engine bays. Ram says it is not aware of any crashes or injuries associated with the issue, although it did confirm that it has received reports of fires isolated to the water pump area in some trucks.

The truck manufacturer says that a warning light will illuminate on the trucks' instrument clusters if the water pump malfunctions.

"Customers are urged to consult their dealers whenever they observe warning lights," the automaker said in a release.

Of the Rams recalled, a little under 10 percent were sold new in Canada. Ram parent Fiat Chrysler Automobiles says it will begin notifying owners soon when a new part becomes available at its dealerships. The recall repair will be performed for free at dealerships.

FCA's Recall Information Center can be reached at 1-800-853-1403 for more details.

Last edited:
A warning light if the water pump malfunctions? How would it know?

Cars are too smart these days...

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

uh because the engine might overheat?

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
Cummins made those water pumps....In before this turns into a Chrysler bashing thread!

More like had them made for them in China. $10 says the correct bearing was specified but the factory used a different one.
My Boss will like this one. 3 of our 4 service trucks are 2013+ Ram 5500 Cummins.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand

How would it point to **********water pump*********** ?

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Cummins made those water pumps....In before this turns into a Chrysler bashing thread!

More like had them made for them in China. $10 says the correct bearing was specified but the factory used a different one.
My Boss will like this one. 3 of our 4 service trucks are 2013+ Ram 5500 Cummins.

Maybe, I was just saying....The Cummins B series engines supplied to Chrysler Corp/FCA is dressed with a water pump.
It would be interesting to know the country of origin, My last B series Cummins had parts from all over the world.

My uncles '15 Ram diesel, that is used for a transportation business had a water pump failure. The bearing locked up with no warning on the highway, threw the belt off, and then lost power steering and brakes because it is a hydroboost system. This happened a couple hours away from home, truck had to be towed to a local unknown shop, and my aunt had to go pick him up.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand

How would it point to **********water pump*********** ?

Quote:
The truck manufacturer says that a warning light will illuminate on the trucks' instrument clusters if the water pump malfunctions.

It doesnt say a water pump light comes on.. it says a warning light comes on..

Now if it was one of those chevies with an electric water pump I could almost see it having a message popup somewhere.. but not on a 6.7 cummins.

Originally Posted By: dan_erickson
My uncles '15 Ram diesel, that is used for a transportation business had a water pump failure. The bearing locked up with no warning on the highway, threw the belt off, and then lost power steering and brakes because it is a hydroboost system. This happened a couple hours away from home, truck had to be towed to a local unknown shop, and my aunt had to go pick him up.
changing the wp is easy on that truck. The belt is a real job. You must remove the electric fan clutch, fan and shroud as a unit. Takes 2 guys. Then remove the belt tensioner because you cant get the belt between the pully and engine!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
How does a water pump catch fire?

This...

The outer bearing is likely the faulty one. The one that supports the pulley directly and carries most of the load from the belt and fan.

Would a water pump bearing overheat and then cause a engine bay fire? It seems to me it would seize up long before that.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws

China_Liner01.jpg

Had this conversation many times at a previous now closed company
Purchasing But it is $??? Cheaper and no tooling.
Me It will be less reliable.
Purchasing Can you tell me how many will fail
Me. No, but I can tell you more will fail than this brand
Purchasing How many more
Me Can not say, just more will fail
Executive Management Approve it.
Later….

Purchasing. To many of these parts are failing, you approved it.
Me, here is memo from EM telling me to approve it.
Purchasing OH

Now the game of hiding it begins.

Remember that company is now bankrupt and closed.

Rod

Originally Posted By: ragtoplvr
Had this conversation many times at a previous now closed company
Purchasing But it is $??? Cheaper and no tooling.
Me It will be less reliable.
Purchasing Can you tell me how many will fail
Me. No, but I can tell you more will fail than this brand
Purchasing How many more
Me Can not say, just more will fail
Executive Management Approve it.
Later….

Purchasing. To many of these parts are failing, you approved it.
Me, here is memo from EM telling me to approve it.
Purchasing OH

Now the game of hiding it begins.

Remember that company is now bankrupt and closed.

Rod

How no one can see past the bean counters is beyond me. Especially when we have seen it end poorly so many times.
21.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: StevieC

How no one can see past the bean counters is beyond me. Especially when we have seen it end poorly so many times.
21.gif

Even worse, 9 times out of ten they replaced it with another third world cheap vendor part.

And our customers would always use the lowest cost vendor, but expect very high quality.

Swallow a camel, choke on the flea.

Then to add to the pain, often the old vendor goes to your competition and offers the part at an even lower price. Still same quality, and often with your trademark on it so you get the warranty and the bad reputation.

Rod

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back