Date of last mass produced car with a carburetor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I passed by a local repair shop the other day and noticed it advertises one of its specialties as being carburetor work. Give the proliferation of fuel injected engines the last 30 years, it's not a niche too many shops seem to hang their hats on anymore.

But it got me thinking, when was the last mass produced car made with a carb? For argument's sake, let's say mass produced here means on the scale of a Big 3 or Honda, Toyota, Nissan, BMW, Mercedes, etc.

Any ideas?

'91 Grand Wagoneer had a Ford 2150 2 barrel. I Googled and the Wag had several GMs for company. The vacuum lines and widgets used to get the 2150 past smog tests were ridiculous.

Last edited:
Cadillac Fleetwood, Olds 307, 1989
Subaru Justy, 1992.
Mitsubishi pickup truck, 1989
Crown Vic Police, 351, 1991
Toyota Tercel, 1989

You guys can play on rockauto for the suspected vehicles, just make sure you have mexican cars turned off.
lol.gif

Fueleconomy.gov may also have info.

I think there was something still sold in the US in 1995 that had a carb. I remember hearing about it when I went to auto school. Anything 1996 and later had to be EFI to be OBDII compliant. I do know there were cars sold in other countries, more 3rd world, that had carbs a lot longer.

I think it was the Isuzu Pup. If not, then some other little Japanese truck. They all went into the early 90's with carbuertors. That is, in the U.S. Overseas is another matter.

1989 was the last year for carbs in the yugo-- they got EFI for their last glorious years on our continent!

I think GM used carbs up until 1990/1991 and maybe the Geo Metro/Suzuki Swift until 1993?

GM made their QuadraJet go for as long as they could.

The Mazda B2200/Ford Courier were points and carb in 1995, and that's when we stopped assembling them here.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TinyVoices
Some 3 cylinder metro right?

Yes, the Suzuki swift, metro and Subaru Justy all shared same platform. The Subaru just added AWD and everyone's favorite transmission CVT! to the mix.

My generation of the Honda Civic with a 3-barrel carb and a cat but no air pump ran from 84-87 and I think the next generation of Civic's starting in 88 was FI. Ancient history yes, but its a car I still drive

The only downside on my 84 Civic is that carburetor with all those vacuum lines and valves. When everything is hooked up and working it works well and my fuel mileage ranges from 37-41 on regular gas and it runs very smooth and never needs adjusting.

The secret is to set everything to factory spec's. Don't "fix" or "improve" anything and no golf tees (lol).

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
...and last with 6 volt battery as well.
... and manual chokes, and exhaust systems without catalytic converters, and non-positive crankcase venting.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Silk
The Mazda B2200/Ford Courier were points and carb in 1995, and that's when we stopped assembling them here.

The last year for the B2200 here was 1993, After that Mazda sold Ford Ranger clones.

Fords were Mazda here from the early '80's until about now, the BT50 is the last Mazda/Ford. There was no OBD2 or any emission regs here, but once we stopped local production, all vehicles were fully imported, still not OBD2, but of a world wide export standard...the JDI's were a different story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back