Fluid Film in Illinois

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Oil Connoisseurs,

Unless I should be convinced otherwise, I was planning on spraying some Fluid Film (NAS-1) as undercoating for my 2017 Mustang. Yes, we are late in the game, but still without our first snow in Illinois. At first I was convinced I could use ramps and a cheap Harbor Freight paint sprayer, but after giving it a second thought I realized I would need a jack or lift in conjunction with a air gun hooked up to a compressor (neither of which I have living in an apartment).

Does anyone know where I could get Fluid Film sprayed in Illinois? As a last resort maybe just buy a gallon and pay a shop to spray it? The only official undercoating place I can find is Ziebart, which uses the traditional tar based undercoating.

Thanks in advance

Go to lowes, buy a few spray cans for $8.99 each, and go at it.

I am convinced that you could do it on ramps to a high level of satisfaction, especially if you back up
On ramps to do the rear, as well as pull up for the front.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Go to lowes, buy a few spray cans for $8.99 each, and go at it.

I am convinced that you could do it on ramps to a high level of satisfaction, especially if you back up
On ramps to do the rear, as well as pull up for the front.

At first I was too, but the Mustang is LONG. I'm 6'4" and have a hard time reaching the oil drain plug.

Fluid Film is also thick, with a yogurt/pudding like consistency. I would need to rely heavily on an electric paint sprayer which is not designed for use with something that thick. I'm all for DIY but I just don't have the tools to do this to my liking. I suppose I could try as a last resort, but would prefer to pay a shop to do it. Just hoping by some miracle someone knows of a shop that will do this in Illinois.

Originally Posted By: Maddog1337
At first I was too, but the Mustang is LONG. I'm 6'4" and have a hard time reaching the oil drain plug.

You're allowed to go under the car, you know
smile.gif

Wish you were closer, I'd love to help you out. I bought a fluid film kit with the "pro" gun this fall. Did the Frontier and the CR-V. Took about 3 quarts. It would take a lot of aerosol cans to cover the same area as thick as I like.

I've read about plenty of people applying it with an airless paint sprayer. If you do decide to DIY, realize that it is going to make a mess. You WILL need to wear a mask and glasses and old clothes. It is going to make a mess of the underside of the car (duh). The overspray will get on everything in a 20 ft radius (or more). I applied mine pretty thick and took my time so it took the better part of 2 hours on the truck and about an hour on the CR-V. Put it on ramps and crawl under. It's a good time to give everything under there a good once over anyway. Give the car a good hand wash afterward.

I applied in September and the CR-V has seen a lot of miles since in some pretty hot weather and rain and the Fluid Film is holding up pretty well. I think I'll wait untill mid October or November next year. Right now would be a perfect time to apply. Good luck!

And to the original question: I'm in the same boat as you. There are no shops anywhere around me that will do undercoating. Most people here haven't even heard of Fluid Film.

Corrosion Free is highly regarded and there are a couple of dealers in northern Illinois. The one in southeast Michigan quoted me an exorbitant price.

To me, it's equally important to get all of the interior, sandwiched metal seams sprayed. Rust from the inside out is very prevalent in Michigan.

Good luck on your project.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Corrosion Free is highly regarded and there are a couple of dealers in northern Illinois. The one in southeast Michigan quoted me an exorbitant price.

To me, it's equally important to get all of the interior, sandwiched metal seams sprayed. Rust from the inside out is very prevalent in Michigan.

Good luck on your project.

Thank you, e-mailed for a quote.

Originally Posted By: muddawgs
Send me a PM where you are located. I have the fluid film gun and have done a few vehicles.

PM'd

I stopped using FF. Its just too messy to work on the truck doing simple things. I could deal with that somewhat. But one time the jack partially slipped off the frame while I was placing jack stands nearly crushing me. That was it, no more slippery FF.

What part of Illinois? I'm in Illinois, near St. Louis. Took my new Nissan Frontier to Krown Rustproofing, in St. Louis, and just returned for the annual re-application. Why they are there in St. Louis, I'm not sure; the next closest Krown outlet is in Ohio.
While I was in there last fall, another gentleman was there with an elderly Buick (Oldsmobile?) who had come down all the way from Chicago, so you may still consider it.

Otherwise I have sprayed the underside of the Ford Explorer and Jeep Liberty with Fluid Film from an airsprayer "undercoating gun". I just did the Liberty again three days ago, the '97 Explorer is no longer here. (No. it didn't rust away to nothing.) I know I mustn't apply as heavily as I've seen others say they've done. The single gallon I got last year has sufficed for these three applications.

I'd say you could do a good Fluid Film job with probably 4 spray cans . The Krown application of course is also sprayed inside closed compartments using both factory access points and drilled holes.

From all the info I see, you are right to avoid the old-time "tar" application.

I'm located in northwest Chicago near O'Hare. I'm looking at 300mi one way to Krown in St. Louis.. I am baffled that there is not a more reputable undercoating business in Illinois... I was considering the Corrosion Free as mentioned above but received a $300 quote, I was hoping to accomplish this for a bit less. I am getting desperate -- Chicago Streets and Sanitation lays it on thick! I think I am going to order a gallon of NAS and try it out myself, they're about $50. I just wish I could pay a shop to spray it... Everywhere I've called will only spray their own products.

Per Kellsport Products, a major Fluid Film distributor: "There are several different Fluid Film formula's. Fluid Film "NAS" is the most popular formula. "NAS" is used for all undercoating, general lubrication, and rust preventing applications. When Fluid Film "NAS" is packaged in aerosol cans, it becomes Fluid Film "AS". So if you have used Fluid Film in the spray can, and want it in bulk (gallons, pails, etc), you would buy the Fluid Film "NAS" products."

Evidently the aerosol AS Fluid Film does not stand the test of time over the winter, it is simply too thin.

You have some Rust Check options. Member Jcwit has experience with the South Bend, IN facility. I get the impression that Rust Check is maybe a notch below Krown in material quality based on internet generalities. Any process is only as good as the person applying it, so you need to be proactive insisting on a quality job.

I don't recall the story, but there are some ties between the original Krown/Rustcheck companies.

Fluid Film can be ordered through Napa in gallons by the way.
Think it was about $40-50 a gallon last time I ordered some.

You can also order the kits off ebay.
I got one, came with the "pro" spray gun, a gallon of Fluid Film and a couple extension wands for about $150
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fluid-Film-1-gallon-Undercoat-kit-with-PRO-SPRAY-GUN-and-2-extension-wands/173001906469?hash=item2847b79925:g:b48AAOSwj99aHCIl

I bought this kit and did my winter rat last month, the kit worked good, but it is awful messy work.
The fluid film also has an odd smell.
To be honest, I'm thinking about just paying Rust check for an annual spray next year!
Although now that I have the kit it will only cost me a gallon of Fluid Film.

Bit of an update and a data point for any future references...

Fluid Film'd the car a few weeks ago with a gallon of formula NAS-1 purchased through Bob (FF salesman) at Kellsport. Don't have access to a compressor so used a $20 Harbor Freight electric paint gun ( https://www.harborfreight.com/5-gph-electric-paint-spray-gun-62267.html link), which worked pretty well. Bob informed me that it will be a bit easier to apply if the FF is heated, but you can also add a bit of vegetable oil to thin it out as well. Bob also mentioned you can get it on any material -- whether metal, rubber, plastic, etc. Said some people actually wax their cars with it. I sprayed my entire underside, with the exception of the braking system. I might do a touch-up half way through the Winter, but otherwise you can pretty much spray it and forget about it. Don't bother with any undercarriage washes -- you will just remove the product. I'll report back how my car held up in the Spring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back