feet growing again, at age 50

Status
Not open for further replies.
For Pete's sake, I've been wearing 12D dress shoes for probably 20 years, crept up to a slightly wider 12E in some lasts (Allen Edmonds #5 especially) within the last 5 years or so, and all of a sudden, I'm finding that my shoes are feeling "short". Stepped on a Brannock device and I'm more like 12.5-13, D or E width depending on the construction of the shoe and the last.

I haven't gained any weight, no other changes, I guess it's just an ongoing process. wish other things would grow, but I guess that's too much to ask?!?

I'll have to ask Santa for some new kicks, I suppose.

Just probably how they are being made now. But don't feel bad, I am 70 and all my feet do is hurt.

Your ears grow as you age, not sure about feet.

When I was surprised to find out that I now needed size 15 shoes vs the 14's I'd been wearing for years, several nurse friends informed me that ears and feet continue to grow all our life.

So I've got that to deal with in addition to the need to shave my ears.

I wore the same Motorcycle roadracing boots for years. When I bought them, they fit great. A couple years ago they started to feel short and cramped. I'm now wearing a full size larger in all boots and shoes. Certainly those boots didn't shrink, my feet have just gotten a bit larger.

I often wondered if the shoe makers were using 25mm instead of 25.39mm for the inch. That would account for the shoes getting about 3/4 size smaller. Ed

My feet grew about half a size at age 51. Had to get rid of a bunch of shoes that no longer fit.

I'm 55, and in the last ten years I've gone from an 11 D to a 12.5 EE, and that's getting tight. Its normal, your feet tend to "flatten out" and expand as you age.

Normal.

"Feet do get bigger over decades of pounding. Some people over the age of 40 can gain half a shoe size every 10 years. ... Feet flatten out because the supporting tendons and ligaments lose their elasticity. As the tendon along the length of the sole elongates, the arch lowers."

You know what they say about a guy with big feet ??!! ....

That's right - BIG SHOES
cool.gif

Originally Posted By: CincyDavid
I haven't gained any weight, no other changes, I guess it's just an ongoing process. wish other things would grow, but I guess that's too much to ask?!?

How much do you weigh?

Ligament laxity as you age. Your feet are spread out more. Add possible weight gain and there you go.

Same wandering bones make bunions in women that wear pointy shoes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back