'07 Honda Odyssey - brake fluid capacity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

my 07' Odyssey shows Maintenance Minder A135 and I need to replace:

- Engine oil (going to use Castrol Magnatec 5W30 A5)
- Transmission fluid (using RAVENOL ATF Type Z1 Fluid)
- Engine Coolant (using RAVENOL HTC Hybrid Technology Coolant Protect MB 325.0)
- Brake Fluid (using RAVENOL DOT 4)

Except for the brake fluid, all capacity levels are specified in the Owners Manual.
Does anyone know the amount of brake fluid that needs to be replaced during service?

Regards,

Nils

Because some will get lost in the flushing process, brake fluid capacities are not listed.
One liter will work unless your system needs a little more flushing due to being really dirty.

Okay, cool. Thx a lot for the reply. So I will order 2 Liter, just in case.... its just 6,99EUR / Liter, its not that expensive.

I just did a flush of our '14 Odyssey. I'm sure the system is different, but given the size of the vehicle I imagine the brake line lengths are similar.

I used just under 36oz to do the flush, the other weekend.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
354 Ml sounds like a brake bleeding rather than a true flush where you replace ALL the old fluid. Ed

There is not that much fluid in the system. If all the caliper pistons are pushed completely in, there is basically no fluid in the calipers. So the total system volume is what is in the reservoir and master cylinder. The 354 ml bottle is about the total volume. A few cars are a little more, most are less.

Get a 1L bottle, if you suck the reservoir clean to fill it up with fresh fluid and push fluid until clean through the master cylinder, ABS/ESP modulator and each wheel, expect to use nearly that whole liter.

There was a Service Bulletin from Honda (http://techinfo.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/A10-069.PDF) mentioning that brake fluids from other vendors are bad and you should ONLY use the Genuine Honda DOT 3 Brake Fluid:

BACKGROUND
A cup seal in the master cylinder is sensitive to the type of brake fluid used in the brake system. If the brake fluid is replaced with anything other than Honda Genuine DOT 3 Brake Fluid, and the brakes are manually bled, the cup seal may twist in its retention groove and create a small leak. The brake fluid can then leak into the brake booster, and the brake system indicator will eventually come on because the brake fluid level is low. If the customer continues to drive the vehicle without refilling the brake fluid reservoir, he or she may notice the brake pedal feels low or spongy. The customer should not rely on refilling the brake fluid reservoir to address the problem. A prolonged leak would eventually cause one of the two brake system hydraulic circuits to fail.

Is that something to really worry about?

I've heard that before, but Honda is clearly overcomplicating the matter. If ordinary DOT 3 isn't good enough, then they shouldn't call OEM Honda fluid DOT 3. That just creates confusion. It's DOT 3, or it's not, right?

I assume that DOT3 is just a specification for the brake fluid ... so every brake fluid that supports that specification should be fine.

However you don't get DOT3 brake fluid in Germany. The best I can get is DOT4. This is what I bought: http://www.ravenol.de/en/products/usage/d/Product/show/p/ravenol-dot-4.html

Because of the special formulation of RAVENOL DOT 4 the international specifications SAE J1703, ISO 4925 and the safety regulations FMVSS 116 DOT3 and DOT4 from the United States of America are exceeded.

What I found in the internet that DOT4 has more aggressive ingredients and could damage rubber sealing. However DOT4 is fully backwards compatible to DOT3.

Originally Posted By: GYGuy81

What I found in the internet that DOT4 has more aggressive ingredients and could damage rubber sealing. However DOT4 is fully backwards compatible to DOT3.

DOT brake fluid specs are all published US DOT specs for fluids - but the formulations can be different from vendor to vendor.

Honda and Toyota source their production and service fill fluids from CCI. They meet DOT 3 specs but their fluid is closer to a DOT 4 since it does incorporate some borate esters for moisture resistance.

We don't know if that Honda recall is only for the North American Odyssey and not the international model. Honda does say DOT 3 and 4 can be used.

Originally Posted By: GYGuy81
I assume that DOT3 is just a specification for the brake fluid ... so every brake fluid that supports that specification should be fine.

One should think so. Speaking of DOT 4 being compatible with DOT 3 applications, the G37 calls for DOT 3, but the dealer only sells DOT 4, so it's like Germany.
wink.gif

It depends how thorough you are. A quart should be plenty to do all four wheels.

- Transmission fluid (using RAVENOL ATF Type Z1 Fluid)...
as well as the rear Diff DPSF fluid... no one offers a comparable product from OEM other than Ravenol..

When I was looking for a suitable [better] fluid from OEM.. I did find Ravenol on the web..
but its NOT available / distributed in Canada..
frown.gif

I did find the Petro-Can Duradrive synth AFT right in my own back yard.. happy with it so far.
DPSF - no other option other than Acura dealer.

j.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back