FRAM XG Ultra Filter Efficiency

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously???

Time to search. There's a ton of reasons for darkening of the oil. Very few due to nominal particle size in pcmo.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Seriously???

Time to search. There's a ton of reasons for darkening of the oil. Very few due to nominal particle size in pcmo.

Yes seriously. You could have answered the question using less words than what you chose to use.

I thought that the oil getting a bit darker was a sign that it was working correctly, that is getting the additives to work and suspending particles. Many of these particles are too small to be filtered out and for the most part, don't cause problems as they circulate thru the system.

OneEyeJack - are you saying that the particles that are too small to be trapped by the filter are what contributes to the oil getting darker ? Are those same particles dirt particles, or are they combustion byproduct particles ?

IMHO-combustion byproducts (soot/carbon), which should eventually stick together & be captured by the filter (or the oil pump screen if they get too big).

Get white paper towel and put a drop on it. You can see the debris settle out in rings, biggest chunks first.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Get white paper towel and put a drop on it. You can see the debris settle out in rings, biggest chunks first.

ok then so the debris that settles out, is it dirt or combustion byproducts ?

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

ok then so the debris that settles out, is it dirt or combustion byproducts ?
Where would dirt come from?

Where would dirt come from?

I'm assuming either through the air filter or around the air filter if the filter box is not well sealed.

OneEyeJack - are you saying that the particles that are too small to be trapped by the filter are what contributes to the oil getting darker ? Are those same particles dirt particles, or are they combustion byproduct particles ?

Yes, and yes and some additives get darker as well. A PCV system can contribute as well.

You should not let the oil get too dark if your car employees a chrome muffler bearing with digital framus matter seals on the isotonic pre-lubrication fittings.

If you use standard chrome muffler bearing you don't have to worry. Your OLM will be calibrated correctly. If you do have to replace those chrome muffler bearings here is a video to explain what you have to do. Even if you don't tackle the job yourself you will at least know what your mechanic is doing. Just make sure he is BFD certified.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack

Yes, and yes and some additives get darker as well. A PCV system can contribute as well.

You should not let the oil get too dark if your car employees a chrome muffler bearing with digital framus matter seals on the isotonic pre-lubrication fittings.

If you use standard chrome muffler bearing you don't have to worry. Your OLM will be calibrated correctly. If you do have to replace those chrome muffler bearings here is a video to explain what you have to do. Even if you don't tackle the job yourself you will at least know what your mechanic is doing. Just make sure he is BFD certified.

WHAT?

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack

If I have a dual exhaust system, do I need two of those?

ROD

Darkness like mentioned are a lot of factors one being carbon or soot, with bypass filter you can slow the process down a lot up until about 3k mile range. My oil in my truck stays clean almost like from the jug after that it slowly starts to darken to the 5-6k mark when I change it. But to answer your initial question no bud full flow like farm no matter what type of how expensive it is will not slow down the color change or get even close to filtering down to 2-3 micron.

Originally Posted By: Shata
Darkness like mentioned are a lot of factors one being carbon or soot, with bypass filter you can slow the process down a lot up until about 3k mile range. My oil in my truck stays clean almost like from the jug after that it slowly starts to darken to the 5-6k mark when I change it. But to answer your initial question no bud full flow like farm no matter what type of how expensive it is will not slow down the color change or get even close to filtering down to 2-3 micron.

The Microgreen and Trasko are the only ones I know of that can replace a full flow filter directly, and offer finer filtration. Car filter size. I don't know about the Trasko. I wish some others would have had experience with them and shared it.

Further down in this link they show exactly what is being talked about in this thread. They show clear oil after 5k on the bench test.

http://trasko-usa.com/about/about.htm

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
The Microgreen and Trasko are the only ones I know of that can replace a full flow filter directly, and offer finer filtration. Car filter size. I don't know about the Trasko. I wish some others would have had experience with them and shared it.

What are the filtration specs for the MicroGreen filter?

Originally Posted By: Shata

LF9028 does.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

100% @ 2 microns.

Per the Fram paper, it can't be any better than beta 75 (98.7%) at any micron level. Anything measured above that doesn't make sense and should be ignored.
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back