Moto Guzzi V-Twin Cut-Away View

Status
Not open for further replies.
Makes my SOHC parallel-twin Honda look like an OHV Briggs.
shocked.gif

Nice cutout LonerRanger! What interval does Guzzi recommend inspecting/replacing the timing belt btw?

Apparently my big block has a morse chain and hydraulic tensioner for timing. Can't advise on interval for the belts versions. Believe the cut away is of a small block Guzzi.

Looks like it's easy to adjust the valves. I'd think the belts that drive the cams would last many miles like cam belts in most automotive engines. The Guzzi service schedule should show the belt inspection/replacement interval.

The belts are driven off the old camshaft drive, so they are half time and should last much longer than engine speed belts. Rockers are very much like every Guzzi, on a separate plate which unbolts from the head...and of course very easy to get to.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Apparently my big block has a morse chain and hydraulic tensioner for timing. Can't advise on interval for the belts versions. Believe the cut away is of a small block Guzzi.

That's awesome, at least you'll never have to do a belt inspection/replacement with your model being chain drive! And yes, the valves look incredibly easy to adjust, just those two things alone will help keep maintenance costs down tremendously.

I’m just learning about Guzzis and I’ve been looking at a V7 Stornello which comes with what I think you Guzzistas (?) call a small block. I was very surprised to find out that it’s got a pushrod valve actuating system. Still seems like a pretty good bike and I’m scheduled for a test ride soon as things melt and dry out.

Maybe they make different versions of the small block, some with timing belts and some with pushrods.

Originally Posted By: Silk
I have a Stornello...1974, the last of the real Stornellos

Excellent! Since you brought it up, you owe us a picture.

Too bad it's ancient air-cooled...
smile.gif
go to all that trouble with fancy dual OH cams and 4 valves per head only to stay with antiquated air cooling. Horrible for anyone that lives in the south or desert regions!

Originally Posted By: racin4ds
smile.gif
go to all that trouble with fancy dual OH cams and 4 valves per head only to stay with antiquated air cooling. Horrible for anyone that lives in the south or desert regions!

Radiators belong on cars, along with windshields and electric starters. Been riding air-cooled bikes in the desert all my life and never had a problem. Water cooled engines make more HP per cc but at the trade-off of weight and complexity. To each their own.

Nice bike. I just learned about them recently after the new version Stornellos came out. I’ve sure had a lot of fun on under 200cc bikes. I’d like to have one of those or a similar vintage Ducati. Thanks for the pic.

They were designed by Giulio Carcano who did the V8 and V twins. The top end is like the early V Twins turned 90 degrees. Everything you read about them talks about them being a cheap design, but not really cheap, it's just that they used die casting. A very overbuilt bottom end...although it has broken a crank. I've had it from new, it was off the road for many years and got it back on the road a few years ago. It's pretty rough, and off the road again...a broken fuel banjo.

Originally Posted By: racin4ds
smile.gif

Having owned two new liquid cooled 1200cc Ducati's, a 2013 and 2016, I like the engine in my Guzzi better. Less complexity, linear torque curve, better exhaust note, and I can actually do my own maintenance at the major service intervals instead of giving the dealer $1500+ for valve lash adjust and timing. Also no chain maintenance.

Fsharp

The pushrods in the MG are to transition from the overhead cam to the rocker arms . Easy way to make the 90 deg. off the OHV cam to the rockers.

I ride a Moto Guzzi Convert (automatic trans)

Bikes I have owned, the miles are correct all by me

1972 AMBASSADOR 169000 MILES
1978 G5 170000 MILES
1973 V7 SPORT 25000 MILES
1973 ELDO 300000+ MILES
1980 CX100 50 MILES
1796 CONVERT-18000 MILES AND BUILDING
1976 HONDA CB400F 27 MILES AND BUILDING

MGNOC # 2723
TOMB

racin4ds

The Guzzi being aircooled is actually a great idea, yes its aircooled but there are plenry of Gizzi's that thrive in hot climates.

They are overbuilt and under stressed, plenty of torque, flat bearings' 60+ psi oil pressure, and can run at 90 plus all day if needed.
They are not for everyone don't look like anything else and can rack up plenty of miles . See below.

the miles were all my riding over the years

1972 AMBASSADOR 169000 MILES
1978 G5 170000 MILES
1973 V7 SPORT 25000 MILES
1973 ELDO 300000+ MILES
1980 CX100 50 MILES
1796 CONVERT-18000 MILES AND BUILDING
1976 HONDA CB400F 27 MILES AND BUILDING

MGNOC # 2723

TOMB

Status
Not open for further replies.