Oil filter carnage

Status
Not open for further replies.
You'll never get that one open!
wink.gif

That's the worst case of an oil filter implosion I've ever seen! Just kidding
grin.gif
! How does that crushed filter compare to other's you've crushed as far as it's "crush ability" or do they all mainly crush basically the same.

Whimsey

My OCD won't let me throw filters away until they're cut open first. I got about a dozen of them sitting in the backyard because of that.
crazy.gif

I'm kind of surprised the recycling process doesn't include stripping the media and other non-metallic stuff, but I suppose that would be too expensive for the recycling outfit.

Originally Posted By: JTK
I'm kind of surprised the recycling process doesn't include stripping the media and other non-metallic stuff, but I suppose that would be too expensive for the recycling outfit.

All they would need is a motorized filter cutter of some sort. Could probably disassemble and separate the soft parts from the metal parts in a matter of seconds.

There was a thread a while back showing how they recycle filters be baking them at high temp to just leave metal behind.

If too thick of an oil can cause filter ballooning and eventually explosion,I'm guessing 0W16 was used causing the opposite reaction,an implosion?

laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
There was a thread a while back showing how they recycle filters be baking them at high temp to just leave metal behind.

That would definitely take more energy than a motorized filter cutter.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
That would definitely take more energy than a motorized filter cutter.

Less labor intensive, and quicker. Go look for the thread in this forum (posted maybe 3~4 weeks ago), had a YouTube video showing the process. Or search YouTube for the video.

Less labor intensive, and quicker. Go look for the thread in this forum (posted maube 3~4 weeks ago), had a YouTube video showing the process.

Labor intensive ? It would be a piece of cake with a machine that you just sit the filter in and it zips the can in two. The filter practically disassembles itself once you get the can cut open.

Less labor intensive, and quicker. Go look for the thread in this forum (posted maube 3~4 weeks ago), had a YouTube video showing the process.

Labor intensive ? It would be a piece of cake with a machine that you just sit the filter in and it zips the can in two. The filter practically disassembles itself once you can the can cut open.

Go find the video and see how many this recycle center processes. They've come up their procesd for a reason. I wouldn't want to be that guy setting a million oil filters into a machine one at a time.

How many you think 1 guy could recycle in an 8 hr day?

The way I got the operation pictured in my mind, one guy could disassemble hundreds in a 8 hour shift.

The way I got the operation pictured in my mind, one guy could disassemble hundreds in a 8 hour shift.

Maybe if you employed 100 guys you might keep up.

Maybe if you employed 100 guys you might keep up.

I think this is the point. We could come up with dozens of ideas on how to separate the recyclable bits from the non-recyclable bits. There's just no money in doing so at the moment. It's cheaper to off-gas and throw out any solid waste.

I watched the video. I don't like the way they shred the filters into a bunch of pieces. My method would leave all the filter parts completely intact except for the two halves of the can. The employees would then disassemble the filters over top of a screen; that way all the waste oil gets collected from the filters without getting pieces of filters in the waste oil.

Gang: OFR (Oil Filter Recyclers) wants ya to crush the filters. When I started here 10 years ago we crushed the filters and our scrap guys took them. Only ones we can’t crush are cartridge types as they rebound to their original size.

I may start scrapping them if company uses scrap guy as he will take them for free

C'mon BITOGers. They shred cars in big allutrifiers. Cars are sent in and the shreds are blown up a tower by air pressure.

That's the definition of allutrification. Check my spelling.

There are windows in the tower where metals of different weights exit. The seat foam is the only stuff that makes it to the top of the tower.

Simply build a dedicated oil filter tower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back