MS-12991 CHRYSLER OIL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought a Fiat 124 Spider Abarth. It requires Chrysler MS-12991 oil or it recommends it. It took me forever to find
the oil. Found it on Amazon. Pennzoil Euro 5w40. Is this the only only it will take, or will any Euro 5w40 work with it?
Mark

Pennzoil Euro is the only one I've found that has the MS-12991 seal of approval. I am tempted to use Castrol Edge 5w-40 since I can get it locally, but with the turbo and Multi-air I am a little nervous and will likely just order 4 quarts of the Pennzoil.

My Jeep specs MS-6395 which if you read the spec pretty much any conventional will meet, but M1 isn't approved! Knowing how weak the spec is, I had no problem using M1.

If you take it to the dealer,
will they just fill it from the bulk tank?

Inquiring minds want to know.....

Originally Posted By: Linctex
If you take it to the dealer,
will they just fill it from the bulk tank?

Inquiring minds want to know.....

When I bought mine, they tried to sell me a maintenance package. The F&I guy was clear it needed synthetic which of course was an interesting conversation that I might have started to dive deeper into but I wanted to stay focused on the paperwork and not be distracted.

Sounds like a similar spec to A40, LL-01, and MB 229.5 if Penn euro 5W-40 carries the approval you need. I'm sure any oil carrying the three aforementioned approvals will work great. I recommend Castrol 0W-40, because it's such a good value.

Originally Posted By: MSTUEBER
Bought a Fiat 124 Spider Abarth. It requires Chrysler MS-12991 oil or it recommends it. It took me forever to find
the oil. Found it on Amazon. Pennzoil Euro 5w40. Is this the only only it will take, or will any Euro 5w40 work with it?
Mark

Use 'Chrysler MS-12991' in your search on amazon. You should return several options for your Fiat 124.

If anyone is interested, I've been scouring the internet for oils that meet this standard and the pickings are a little slim here in the USA. Here is what I found:

Amsoil: they don't explicitly state that it meets the standard, but they recommend their Classic European Formula 5w40
Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w40. The oil recommended in the owners manual.
Valvoline 5w40 Synpower MST (not the regular 5w40).
Havoline: regular ProDS 5w40 but, oddly, not the Euro 5w40 they make.
Total Quartz 9000 Energy 5w40.
Ravenol VST 5w40.

And that is it!

I'd have no problem buying the Havoline, but I don't have any idea who sells it. The other brands are all for sale on Amazon, and I've seen the Pennzoil and the Valvoline on store shelves locally.

Originally Posted By: HappyLittlePony
If anyone is interested, I've been scouring the internet for oils that meet this standard and the pickings are a little slim here in the USA. Here is what I found:

Amsoil: they don't explicitly state that it meets the standard, but they recommend their Classic European Formula 5w40
Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w40. The oil recommended in the owners manual.
Valvoline 5w40 Synpower MST (not the regular 5w40).
Havoline: regular ProDS 5w40 but, oddly, not the Euro 5w40 they make.
Total Quartz 9000 Energy 5w40.
Ravenol VST 5w40.

And that is it!

I'd have no problem buying the Havoline, but I don't have any idea who sells it. The other brands are all for sale on Amazon, and I've seen the Pennzoil and the Valvoline on store shelves locally.

Seems there is some oil change kits on amazon and on blauparts with the RAVENOL VST that you mentioned. Seems convenient.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Castrol 0W40, Mobil1 0W40, Pennzoil 0W40, all available in Wal Mart.

All fine oils, but none of those claim to meet MS-12991. I suspect they would all work, but some of us have a warranty to worry about.

This really only affects turbocharged Fiats and Jeep Renegades, so I don't think the oil companies are that concerned.

Originally Posted By: HappyLittlePony
Originally Posted By: edyvw
Castrol 0W40, Mobil1 0W40, Pennzoil 0W40, all available in Wal Mart.

All fine oils, but none of those claim to meet MS-12991. I suspect they would all work, but some of us have a warranty to worry about.

This really only affects turbocharged Fiats and Jeep Renegades, so I don't think the oil companies are that concerned.

All meet FIAT approvals, all recommended for FIAT Abarth 124 in Europe.
OP has to talk to FCA. MS-12991 has FIAT approval equivalent.

Last edited:
Chrysler/ Fiat is going to paint themselves in a corner with these rediculas oil specs they have. Especially when they have opted to put the 6.4 Hemi in all thier heavy duty pick ups but Mopar and Pennzoil are the only oils that meet the special spec.

Yes, they have. Between ordinary API/ILSAC stuff, older Chrysler specs, MB, Cummins, and Fiat specifications, there's a real hodge podge. Unfortunately, simply backspecing things won't make it any easier. It's not like GM where they can say, for an old GM, grab 5w-30 dexos1 and you're set, even if it's overkill.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
Chrysler/ Fiat is going to paint themselves in a corner with these rediculas oil specs they have. Especially when they have opted to put the 6.4 Hemi in all thier heavy duty pick ups but Mopar and Pennzoil are the only oils that meet the special spec.

Chrysler (like Ferrari) have a technical partnership with Royal Dutch Shell (SOPAS in the US. Basically: Pennzoil.) They both work together to develop engines and lubricant's ni partnership. once developed by law the spec must be published so that any oil company can formulate an oil to the spec, have it tested and subsequently approved. That puts the ball squarly in the oil companies hands to develop a suitable product.

What this does do is give Shell/Pennzoil a time to market edge and OEM contract.

In direct response to the original question: Use the spec'd oil, your warranty may depend on it (lets hope you don't have any engine issues). If your local parts store is too slack to pick up the phone and order it for you, then your business if better taken elsewhere to a shop with better customer service. Or simply buy on-line if that's an option.

Shell/Pennzoil 5W40 is a great oil and very affordable. No reason not to use it. Remember that Shell and Fiat worked together to develop their engine with that oil. might as well take advantage of that R'n'D money.

Regards
Jordan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back