Castrol Edge EP, 15000 miles guarantee

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I bought this oil because it was only $25 / jug at Walmart, planning to use it on my car by the time it is out of warranty (soon), Not seeing any UOA on this for extended duration, anyone know about how this would work for a typical 15k miles a year duty on mixed highway / local pattern?

The test subjects:

95 Corolla with 250k miles, not burning oil, 5w30 3 quarts
14 Prius v with 60k miles, not burning oil, 0w20 4.5 quarts
08 ISw50 with 95k miles, burn minor amount of oil (1 qt per 2k), 5w30 6.6 quarts
97 Integra with 260k miles, burn minor amount of oil (1 qt per 2k), 5w30 4.5 quarts

I'd rather take GC to 15k than the EP version personally. GC is the best in the Castrol lineup. Available in 0W-30 and 40 and can be found at most Walmarts and AutoZones for around the same price.

Those vehicles don’t need German Castrol and besides, can you still find the stuff?

EP is good up to 15k according to Castrol but a prudent way would be to take a sample at 10k and run the analysis to be sure. Too many variables such as your driving habits and routes and climate play into all of this.

Nobody is selling GC anymore. There is actually also no more 0w30 oil other than some exotic stuff. 0w40 Castrol is the black bottle Edge. No plan on doing a UOA, my main goal is to avoid the trouble by doing 15k OCI these days, so taking a UOA and then send it in seems counter intuitive.

Let's say if you normally trust Toyota or Napa Synthetic to do 10k OCI, what would be the comfort level using Edge EP for 15k?

Climate is 50 deg winter 80 deg summer, driving 75mph highway, 80/20 highway / local mix traffic, no towing, near sea level, pass smog check every year, no CEL on.

Last edited:
You can still get Castrol 0w-30 at Amazon

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Nobody is selling GC anymore. There is actually also no more 0w30 oil other than some exotic stuff. 0w40 Castrol is the black bottle Edge. No plan on doing a UOA, my main goal is to avoid the trouble by doing 15k OCI these days, so taking a UOA and then send it in seems counter intuitive.

Let's say if you normally trust Toyota or Napa Synthetic to do 10k OCI, what would be the comfort level using Edge EP for 15k?

Climate is 50 deg winter 80 deg summer, driving 75mph highway, 80/20 highway / local mix traffic, no towing, near sea level, pass smog check every year, no CEL on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back