Will Mobile1 Synthetic 5w30 hurt my VW mk7?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
First post. I changed my oil yesterday, and then realized that the Mobile1 5w30 is not a VW 502 spec oil. Most of my driving is an easy commute, and I live near Santa Cruz, CA - so no extreme temps. Will this one wrong oil change hurt my car?

Thanks,
Dave

IMHO, not at all. Just change the oil again using an oil with the appropriate spec.

Thanks onemig,
Do mean change it immediately, or switch at the next change?

Are you still under warranty? I'd change it right away in the case. I highly doubt you'd have any issues especially not running the car real hard. But I wouldn't trust it out to the usual VW 10k interval.

Main difference is the HTHS rating of the oil. Oils formulated for German cars usually have a higher HTHS rating than oils formulated for domestics. The main reason is the higher speed limits those cars see in some places like Germany. Sustained high speed driving such as 100-120 mph will generate higher oil temps that require the higher HTHS rating that VW specs. Otherwise with normal 70-85 mph driving here in moderate temps, you should have no trouble with regular DEXOS 1 rated Mobil 1 5W-30 full synthetic. I would use this current oil without worries, maybe change a couple thousand miles sooner, though instead of waiting the whole duration. I have seen many BMWs run on the same regular M1 5W-30 for their entire 200,000 mile life here in the US without any issues, and it does not meet BMW LL-01 spec, but for normal everyday driving, seems to work just fine.

This is what I was found out after some research. Thanks for confirming, and I'll definitely change early.
Dave

Originally Posted By: bmwtechguy
Main difference is the HTHS rating of the oil. Oils formulated for German cars usually have a higher HTHS rating than oils formulated for domestics. The main reason is the higher speed limits those cars see in some places like Germany. Sustained high speed driving such as 100-120 mph will generate higher oil temps that require a higher HTHS rating that VW specs. Otherwise with normal 70-85 mph driving here in moderate temps, you should have no trouble with regular DEXOS 1 rated Mobil 1 5W-30 full synthetic. I would use this current oil without worries, maybe change a couple thousand miles sooner, though instead of waiting the whole duration.

Bossbrew,

Like HemiHawk said, yes, change it immediately since you are still under warranty, like today after work.
lol.gif

Mobile 1?!
Must be an imposter. It's likely too late.

What engine? The 5 pot or the 4 turbo? was ther a 2L NA motor too?

Then I realized ?!... wacha smoking over there in LA LA land?

The other thing you could do... suck the 5w30 out using a fluid extractor, and keep it for yard equipment if you have any. The exactor could help if you change using that method in the future.

The oil will work better if you leave the "e" off of Mobile (lol).

I'd be willing to bet that one could use Mobil 1 5w-30 in any modern engine even if it's not the correct spec and it would not actually damage the engine under normal (non-track or heavy towing) use.

If one were traveling cross country and discovered that their oil was a quart or two low, one could top off with Mobil 1 5w-30 and there would be no practical way to prove there would be any damage or increased wear (again, excluding track or heavy towing use). Mobil 1 5w-30 may or may not be the best engine oil on the market but it's fair to say it could be considered a universal oil or in the case of topping off, a universal donor.

Now, let the flames begin...........

No flames here, but I knew that "Mobile" looked wrong...I shoulda checked.

You should be OK, it's less than "optimal" for a German engine as ACEA specs put more weight on HTHS and NOACK than the more CAFE-focused API/ILSAC specs, because Autobahn. The Germans do allow for API-spec oil for topping off and in emergencies. Ideally, change your oil when it's convenient to VW-approved oil - no need to do it right away. Highway 1 and 17 aren't exactly the Autobahn either.

The GM dexos standards are solid benchmarks IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back